Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
HT omega , bummed out
Old
  (#1)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default HT omega , bummed out - 07-02-2017, 23:38 | posts: 34

I had for years been using windows 7 and my beloved HT omega E Clario sound card . Then along came the upgrade to windows 10 pro and the new drivers from HT omega ( used the newest available) Now my clarion sounds like crap ! On windows 7 it was awesome the clarity and detail rocked ! Now my onboard sound , Realtek ALC1220 is blowing away the cmedia 8788 ht omega clario . ( and that isn't say much.
Is their a better sound card available that would rock my windows 10 and beat realtek 1220 and be stable ?
I almost bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1 but I remember being burned by creative years ago ! ( driver issues ) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...63&ignorebbr=1
I did do some research on the Audigy rx 7.1 seems windows 10 does have some sort of built in driver and that is what peaked my interest
thoughts on a new sound card ?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
sverek
Ancient Guru
 
sverek's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 07-03-2017, 00:49 | posts: 2,806 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

If you dont use soundcard features like dolby and dynamic volume, and want to get rid of drivers:
External DAC/AMP.

Soundcards are overrated for general use.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-03-2017, 01:14 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
If you dont use soundcard features like dolby and dynamic volume, and want to get rid of drivers:
External DAC/AMP.

Soundcards are overrated for general use.
thanks but I would just prefer a sound card
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-03-2017, 13:42 | posts: 34

oh well never mind going to give creative a shot ( probably be sorry ) Frys has this on sale so I will give it a go

well just got back from my local Frys and they had the card on sale for 50 bucks and I am happy to say , not bad ! I now have better sound then realtek , blows away the HT Omega E-Clario so far . Drivers installed without a glitch
anyway for the price I cant complain even though it is older tech it still sound like the old Audigy I remember

Last edited by brothergc; 07-03-2017 at 17:35.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-04-2017, 00:55 | posts: 19,943 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
oh well never mind going to give creative a shot ( probably be sorry ) Frys has this on sale so I will give it a go

well just got back from my local Frys and they had the card on sale for 50 bucks and I am happy to say , not bad ! I now have better sound then realtek , blows away the HT Omega E-Clario so far . Drivers installed without a glitch
anyway for the price I cant complain even though it is older tech it still sound like the old Audigy I remember
It's an E-MU based card. E-MU CA10300....


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-04-2017, 04:59 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
It's an E-MU based card. E-MU CA10300....
I have not a clue what that means
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-04-2017, 05:08 | posts: 19,943 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
I have not a clue what that means
E-MU cards were originally professional audio cards. The Sound Blaster RX, has an E-MU audio processor on it. It's basically a gimped pro audio card.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
IAmGhostDog
Maha Guru
 
IAmGhostDog's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX R9 390
Processor: FX8350/Hyper 212 EVO
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: HT|Omega Claro
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 07-04-2017, 14:27 | posts: 1,106 | Location: Milwaukee, Wi USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post

Soundcards are overrated for general use.
What?
You might want to re think that statement.
If the choice is onboard or external, external will always win.
My HT|Omega has served me well for a number of years.
To brothergc. I feel for you. It's one of the reasons among others I'm still running Win7
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-04-2017, 16:29 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
E-MU cards were originally professional audio cards. The Sound Blaster RX, has an E-MU audio processor on it. It's basically a gimped pro audio card.
I see well it does work well in windows 10 but needs a few software mods , creatives' online drives blow chunks . I had no option not to install all the crapware . So I just used the cd and bingo ! sound works . Another craxy creative idea is it launched some kind of auto keyboard shortcut program . Ccleaner took care of that issue , delete from startup ! .
Their "auto update" program did not work kept saying "cant connect to server"
No biggie just uninstall that and some stupid "creative information program" made for sending tech support info ( oh boy more telemetry ! )
once its set up is a good card and for 50 bucks I can't complain . beats onboard realcrap anyday .
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-04-2017, 16:45 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog View Post
What?
You might want to re think that statement.
If the choice is onboard or external, external will always win.
My HT|Omega has served me well for a number of years.
To brothergc. I feel for you. It's one of the reasons among others I'm still running Win7
yea I am going to miss the Ht omega dog gone shame they could not write good drivers .
I miss windows 7 too ! it was easy to install and configure . stable as a rock !
I just reinstalled windows 10 on my new 960 Evo ( stupid fast ) and I have spent hours and hours peeling away the bloatware , the useless apps , disable Cortana , uninstall edge , fight with MS over drivers ( I won LOL ) disable tablet mode crap . OMG on and on ( cringe )
( warning rant coming on )
MS should have made 2 separate versions of windows 10 , one for plain jane desktops and another for tablets , but they tried to combine for both and failed badly for all IMO . I mean what's next windows ZYX will scratch your butt for you ?
and I mean really , cram candy chrush down my throat on windows 10 pro ?
Windows store ? ROFL ! what a joke . then I gotta lock down all the telemetry crap .
( end rant LOL )
Yes I miss windows 7 , when I was in control !!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru
 
GenClaymore's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
Processor: I7 3930k @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4v
Mainboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: G-skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Jotunheim BAL>JBL305/R70x
PSU: Cosair RM850
Default 07-04-2017, 23:03 | posts: 5,904 | Location: Southfield,MI

Have you tried using the UNI Xonar drivers? They are also for Other sound cards like your Eclario and not just xonar cards. The only thing is, you will have to temp disable driver sig enforcement for them to install.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-05-2017, 00:50 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenClaymore View Post
Have you tried using the UNI Xonar drivers? They are also for Other sound cards like your Eclario and not just xonar cards. The only thing is, you will have to temp disable driver sig enforcement for them to install.
nope did not try that but I appreciate the suggestion !
right now , I am just going to stick with the creative card , just spent 2 days fighting windows 10 to get it where I want it , no way am I going to roll the dice on new drivers for the old card and I gotta fight windows again just to install them , thanks but no thanks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-10-2017, 03:45 | posts: 34

just thought I would give a quick update . The card is proforming beyond my expectations. In mass effect , I can hear different sounds coming from different speakers kinda cool !
In music the sound is very detailed . nice chrisp highs , and mids . base not so much but I am not a big bass fan .( could be speakers) You can adjust the base but you gotta realy dig into sound setting thru windows , no eq in creatives main software .
I do have some old speakers though some kiplech promedias I got from best buy 10 yrs ago . they have served me well but they are on their last leg . They got damaged in my last move so new speakers on the way !
Check these out
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P9HJIA?psc=1
Yea baby movin on up
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
IAmGhostDog
Maha Guru
 
IAmGhostDog's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX R9 390
Processor: FX8350/Hyper 212 EVO
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: HT|Omega Claro
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 07-11-2017, 14:19 | posts: 1,106 | Location: Milwaukee, Wi USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
Let me know how you like those.
My Klipsch are on the way out also.
Had them for 20 + years. It's time.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-12-2017, 01:00 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog View Post
Let me know how you like those.
My Klipsch are on the way out also.
Had them for 20 + years. It's time.
well here is my thoughts on them . compaired to the promedia 2.1s their muddy . lack bass . I am sorry that I bought them aready looking into replacing these ASAP
The power switch is hard to get to when their on my desktop . treble and bass controls do little to help , and hard to tell if they even do anything ( promedias bass control really did did help )
I was looking into another set of premedias but Kiplish has made changes
check this out
https://hardforum.com/threads/klipsc...b-amp.1605026/
wow ! looks cheep !
Anyway I am looking at getting a pair of these
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z623.../dp/B003VAHYTG
But I suspect not matter what I get , nothing is going to measure up to the old promedias
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-14-2017, 01:27 | posts: 34

this is interesting , the new promedias with the bluetooth , have no on/off switch

https://community.klipsch.com/index....light-stay-on/

Well then , no Klipsch for me then !
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Asher
Newbie
 
Videocard: GTX 1050
Processor: Intel I7 6600K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CXM 450W
Default 07-14-2017, 07:06 | posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
this is interesting , the new promedias with the bluetooth , have no on/off switch

https://community.klipsch.com/index....light-stay-on/

Well then , no Klipsch for me then !
The speaker system is intended to be left on 24/7. If you turn it on and off every single day, then it will either die prematurely on you, or start giving use other problems.

Find another one i guess
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-14-2017, 07:51 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
The speaker system is intended to be left on 24/7. If you turn it on and off every single day, then it will either die prematurely on you, or start giving use other problems.

Find another one i guess
die on you ? By turning it off and on ? ROFL that is a load of crap That statment is !
My old promedias were turned off and on for over 10 years ! And I suspect it is one of the reasons it lasted as long as it did .
If Klipsch is too cheep to add a on/off switch then what does that say for the rest of the system ?
No I be buying Logitech
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-17-2017, 12:33 | posts: 34

Well the Edifier R1280Ts are on their way back to amazon . They sounded bad . Underpowered , and muddy
Got a new set coming a pair of Logitech Z623s' in route today !
My bet is that they will blow the Edifier R1280Ts out of the water
We will see now I am off to a ups drop box to dump these Edifier R1280T

EDIT :
Yep the logitechs' blow the Edifers out of the water sound is crystal , good mids and highs , and plunty of bass to spare . Shake the walls if that is what floats your boat ( not me LOL )
I have the bass turned down to 25%
We have a winner here easy convient controls and a smaller desk footprint

Last edited by brothergc; 07-17-2017 at 19:58.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-18-2017, 02:15 | posts: 19,943 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
die on you ? By turning it off and on ? ROFL that is a load of crap That statment is !
My old promedias were turned off and on for over 10 years ! And I suspect it is one of the reasons it lasted as long as it did .
If Klipsch is too cheep to add a on/off switch then what does that say for the rest of the system ?
No I be buying Logitech
Actually, it's not a load of crap. Electronic devices are most likely to fail when turned on. When an electronic device is turned on, there is a small power surge that occurs. That power surge is what typically damages electronic devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
Well the Edifier R1280Ts are on their way back to amazon . They sounded bad . Underpowered , and muddy
Got a new set coming a pair of Logitech Z623s' in route today !
My bet is that they will blow the Edifier R1280Ts out of the water
We will see now I am off to a ups drop box to dump these Edifier R1280T

EDIT :
Yep the logitechs' blow the Edifers out of the water sound is crystal , good mids and highs , and plunty of bass to spare . Shake the walls if that is what floats your boat ( not me LOL )
I have the bass turned down to 25%
We have a winner here easy convient controls and a smaller desk footprint
Logitech has gotten a lot better over the years. Wouldn't call them "crystal clear"...but they have improved tremendously compared to what they used to produce. I have the Logitech Z313s myself.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-18-2017, 02:57 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Actually, it's not a load of crap. Electronic devices are most likely to fail when turned on. When an electronic device is turned on, there is a small power surge that occurs. That power surge is what typically damages electronic devices.



Logitech has gotten a lot better over the years. Wouldn't call them "crystal clear"...but they have improved tremendously compared to what they used to produce. I have the Logitech Z313s myself.
I still dought the "on - off damage " at least in any meaningfull way or major impact . But hey , I have no interest in debating the statment and suspect more damage when leaving a amp on 24-7 heat kills too and when all is said and done , my speakers will be turned off . My last set lasted over 12 years and they were turned on and off every day so sorry if I disagree with you but my hands on personal experience tells me different . But who cares ? To each their own
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-18-2017, 04:00 | posts: 19,943 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
I still dought the "on - off damage " at least in any meaningfull way or major impact . But hey , I have no interest in debating the statment and suspect more damage when leaving a amp on 24-7 heat kills too and when all is said and done , my speakers will be turned off . My last set lasted over 12 years and they were turned on and off every day so sorry if I disagree with you but my hands on personal experience tells me different . But who cares ? To each their own
Yeah....no reason to trust someone that's studied electronics for several years....or that has to diagnose issues with electronics on a daily basis....

Most consumer electronic devices are designed to withstand the heat they're subjected to. They aren't designed to handle power surges. Power surges result in blown resistors, blown capacitors, burnt potentiometers... In the case of speakers, those small surges can also result in blown voice coils...

Having 1 set of speakers last "over 12 years" doesn't prove anything. I had a cheap set of Creative speakers that were never turned off last 15 years. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing. It's a single event. Those Creative speakers were just as much crap after 15 years as they were the day they were bought. Fact remains, then you turn an electronic device on, the initial power surge is typically beyond the tolerances of the components being powered. When that surge happens repeatedly, components fail. Some manufacturers take that surge into account and attempt to engineer around it. klipsch, being one of the better speaker manufacturers, probably made every attempt to negate the power surge from flipping the power switch. In all likelihood, those speakers may have lasted longer if you had left them powered on. Speakers degrade over time anyway, so no real reason to worry about turning them on and off. The speakers themselves should be worn out well before anything else fails.... At least if they were engineered properly anyway....lol


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
brothergc
Newbie
 
Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Default 07-18-2017, 04:36 | posts: 34

ok have a great day

Last edited by brothergc; 07-18-2017 at 10:23.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 2017, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.