Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Limit both FPS and temperature?
Old
  (#1)
Thorium232

Videocard: NVIDIA
Processor: Intel
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 500W
Default Limit both FPS and temperature? - 07-12-2017, 09:45 | posts: 3

Hi, sorry if this questions has already been asked.

I'm using NVIDIA Inspector to globally limit my FPS to 60, but i'd like to put a limit on the GPU temperature aswell (around 75 or 80) is there a way of doing so inside NVIDIA Inspector itself, or do I have to use RTSS for the fps and NVIDIA Inspector for the temperature? (as far as that would keep things stable and compatible...)

Edit: using Vsync in combination with the temp limit is not very good, as Vsync buffers excess frames and doesn't really make your GPU strain less.

Old
  (#2)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 Gaming 4G
Processor: i5-3570k@4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77V pro
Memory: 16Gb-DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair XT650
Default 07-12-2017, 12:27 | posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium232 View Post
Hi, sorry if this questions has already been asked.

I'm using NVIDIA Inspector to globally limit my FPS to 60, but i'd like to put a limit on the GPU temperature aswell (around 75 or 80) is there a way of doing so inside NVIDIA Inspector itself, or do I have to use RTSS for the fps and NVIDIA Inspector for the temperature? (as far as that would keep things stable and compatible...)

Edit: using Vsync in combination with the temp limit is not very good, as Vsync buffers excess frames and doesn't really make your GPU strain less.
First, post your specs, card and what your trying to do.

My guess is MSI AB will handle all that but not sure why you want to limit temp, if you mean lower clocks (throttle) when X temp.

Anyway, with AB you can set fan rpm profile, temp limit, power limit and cap fps per game/app.

Last edited by EdKiefer; 07-12-2017 at 12:37.

Old
  (#3)
CK the Greek
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x970G1 SLI,Gsync,3DVsn2
Processor: i5 4670K @4.4Ghz H2O H110
Mainboard: GA Z87X-UD5H
Memory: G.skill F3-2400C10D16GTX
Soundcard: Premium 5.1 Snd Sys
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
Default 07-12-2017, 19:29 | posts: 1,183 | Location: Greece

Don't know if we don't have same Inspector and/or settings for it BUT if you pay attention there are many values lower the usual fps limit ones, some with temps too..
for example I see from 60 up to 95

Last edited by CK the Greek; 07-12-2017 at 19:31.

Old
  (#4)
Thorium232

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 07-14-2017, 14:13 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
First, post your specs, card and what your trying to do.

My guess is MSI AB will handle all that but not sure why you want to limit temp, if you mean lower clocks (throttle) when X temp.

Anyway, with AB you can set fan rpm profile, temp limit, power limit and cap fps per game/app.
I have multiple devices, so posting a configuration is cumbersome.
First one has GTX 560 and other one GT 840M, both NVIDIA (screw AMD imo)
(but does it matter?)

I'm trying to put both an FPS limit and a temperature limit on the GPU.
For example: put limit on 60 FPS globally, but ALSO put temperature limit on 75C, so yes, it will throttle itself when reaching 75.
NVIDIA Inspector can only do ONE of those features at a time, not both combined. (unless I'm missing something)

Edit: all of this without messing with overclock/underclock settings, or voltages.

The problem with NVIDIA Inspector is: when I want to limit the temperature to 75 C, it will do so and throttle when getting there, but it will happen very rapidly, because there is no FPS limit active.
So, the GPU will output an excessive 120 frames and then rapidly reaches 75C and throttle already. I want to prevent that from happening by putting both an fps and a temp limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK the Greek View Post
Don't know if we don't have same Inspector and/or settings for it BUT if you pay attention there are many values lower the usual fps limit ones, some with temps too..
for example I see from 60 up to 95
Please take a sufficient amount of time to reread.

Last edited by Thorium232; 07-14-2017 at 14:23.

Old
  (#5)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 07-14-2017, 15:24 | posts: 9,487 | Location: USA

Quote:
The problem with NVIDIA Inspector is: when I want to limit the temperature to 75 C, it will do so and throttle when getting there, but it will happen very rapidly, because there is no FPS limit active.
So, the GPU will output an excessive 120 frames and then rapidly reaches 75C and throttle already. I want to prevent that from happening by putting both an fps and a temp limit.

Use rivatuner (RTSS) to limit FPS and set nvidia inspector to limit to temp target.

One will take over the other depending on scenario.

Old
  (#6)
Thorium232

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 07-15-2017, 09:04 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Use rivatuner (RTSS) to limit FPS and set nvidia inspector to limit to temp target.

One will take over the other depending on scenario.
You're certain it won't cause conflicts?

Also, does RTSS fps limiter work everytime, without having to open the app? (like NVIDIA Inspector's does)

Old
  (#7)
CK the Greek
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x970G1 SLI,Gsync,3DVsn2
Processor: i5 4670K @4.4Ghz H2O H110
Mainboard: GA Z87X-UD5H
Memory: G.skill F3-2400C10D16GTX
Soundcard: Premium 5.1 Snd Sys
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
Default 07-15-2017, 10:26 | posts: 1,183 | Location: Greece

Has to run in the background.

Old
  (#8)
AntiSnipe
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1060 3G
Processor: AMD FX-6300
Mainboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Memory: 12 GB DDR3
Soundcard: Anything NOT Creative Lab
PSU: Antec TP750w
Thumbs up 07-15-2017, 17:15 | posts: 111

I found MSI Afterburner incredibly bloated and had that HORRID, trying way too hard to look cool UI, don't know about Rivatuner. So I use nvidia Inspector's (if you're already using it for frame rate limit...) overclocking section, but don't overclock. I just move the temperature target slider from 83 to 74 and that works fine by me. The boost clock may not go as high or the fan may run faster, but whatever it takes. I did not like my card running at 80+ during games just for that 0.47 FPS "gain".

You can create a desktop shortcut to apply the settings, then in windows 7 drop that in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\your settings shorcut.lnk" to have it applied at startup, but in Windows 10, I had to create a .Bat file (let's call it Temp74.bat), then make a shortcut to that in the StartUp folder. F***ing Windows 10....fights you over everything.

Temp74.bat contains this text, adjust path to nvidia inspector and temps/clocks as needed:

Code:
start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\nvidia inspector" nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,0 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,0 -setPowerTarget:0,100 -setTempTarget:0,0,74
Then make a shortcut to the .Bat file and put in the StartUp folder. I like to rightclick > properties on the shortcut and tell it to run minimized so there is no command prompt popping up at start.

I actually downclock just a bit as well, so for example, my Temp74.BAT contains (-20 core, -10 memory, 74 temp target):

Code:
start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\nvidia inspector" nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,-20 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,-10 -setPowerTarget:0,100 -setTempTarget:0,0,74

Last edited by AntiSnipe; 07-15-2017 at 17:34.

Old
  (#9)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: UMC-1, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 07-15-2017, 17:19 | posts: 10,209 | Location: United states of Kingdom

MSI Afterburner allows you to limit on temperature or power.
You can set the clocks and voltage too with profiles for different uses.
There is a frame rate limiter with the included Rivatuner Statistics Server.
The monitoring graphs are great.

Old
  (#10)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X CF H2O
Processor: 5820K @ 4.3GHz 1.26V H2O
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLi Plus
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 07-15-2017, 17:27 | posts: 4,314 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
You're thinking of true triple buffered VSync which keeps rendering frames, displaying the most recent one every VSync interval. But that's not the norm. Most DX11 games achieve some effects of triple buffering through flip queues, mainly framerates that are not divisors of the refresh rate (e.g. 40FPS @ 60Hz), but as for VSync, frame rendering stops and a waiting period starts when a frame is rendered in under 1 / refresh rate.