Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Clock throttling misbehaving on latest drivers
Old
  (#1)
Tyrchlis
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti
Processor: Core i7 7700K
Mainboard: Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1
Memory: 32Gb DDR4 3200mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Default Clock throttling misbehaving on latest drivers - 07-02-2017, 05:39 | posts: 66

I'm having to stick to the 381.89 WHQL set because when I update to anything later than that, everything will run fine for about a day and then GPU clocks will stick at 1568mhz on the desktop and will not return to the idle clocks of 240mhz. It might be a movie, or Facebook messenger, or any number of daily regular applications that suddenly cause it, but out of the blue it will just stop dropping to idle clocks.

If I keep the driver version on 381.89, I can usually go a week or so before having the clocks stick. Going into a game or benchmark can sometimes break it free on exiting and allows it to go back to idle clocks, but if not, then it stays stuck and I have to reinstall the driver again and it all starts working fine again.

This is CLEARLY a driver issue when a simple reinstall fixes it, but the issues with later driver versions causing this to happen quicker is concerning as I don't want to update drivers if my idle clocks are always gonna keep my GPU warmer then it should be at idle.

This is not a catastrophic issue, obviously. Not even any kind of emergency, I have at least a work around in place to hold me over until I figure out what's going on. Any hints though of where I can look, be it bios or elsewhere to dig this problem out and fix it would be appreciated though

Edit: Specs listed in specs section to the right

Old
  (#2)
evgenim
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX770 WF OC
Processor: Core i5-2500k 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus
Memory: Samsung DDR3-2133 12Gb
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: CM GX 650W Bronze
Default 07-03-2017, 21:42 | posts: 159

Try to add "explorer.exe" into nvidia profile and force there adaptive power consuming.

Old
  (#3)
archie123
Maha Guru

Videocard: Aorus 1080ti Extreme
Processor: I7-5930k @ 4.4
Mainboard: Asus X99-S
Memory: 16GB Hyper X Fury
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 850w RM Series
Default 07-03-2017, 22:13 | posts: 2,373 | Location: UK

Are you running 1440p 144hz or ubove? Its been an nvidia bug for a very long time now , gsync seems to fix it (due to another bug which makes gsync stick in desktop mode )