Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#26)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 06-14-2017, 21:41 | posts: 1,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
@ Stormyandcold + squalles - I'm glad I'm not the only one that experiences better performance with OpenGL than Vulkan. To be honest, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my setup because everyone was singing Vulkan's praises. I am using Windows 10 Pro by the way, the latest Creators Update v1703, but Vulkan ran slower even on the previous two builds too. It also feels, it's hard to explain, but less smooth in motion too, especially when turning. It just does not "feel" right to me. OpenGL runs smooth as butter on my system.

Maybe it's just AMD graphics card owners who are excited about Vulkan because, in my past experience, their OpenGL drivers have been traditionally poor so Vulkan would definitely benefit owners of those cards IMO.

It's the same with DirectX 12 really. It's underwhelming on NVIDIA hardware only because their DirectX 11 driver was so well optimised compared with AMD, whose driver had a higher overhead, especially evident on less powerful CPUs. As such AMD look like their performing better only because their DX11/OpenGL driver had much more room for improvement.
Vulkan is certainly the same as DX12 - meaning that performance in it mostly depends on how good the renderer is coded for the particular hardware it is running upon. We have more than enough examples of AMD beating NV and NV beating AMD in several games now for everyone to see this.

Doom's VK renderer is predominately an AMD h/w effort which is pretty clear from AMD exclusive stuff they are using so it's little wonder that it doesn't run as well as OpenGL on NV, and drivers can only do so much to change this.

That being said, Doom Vulkan is certainly faster on NV h/w _when you are CPU limited_.

Old
  (#27)
squalles
Master Guru

Videocard: Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
Processor: i7 2700k @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 2x8gb Gskill ddr3 2133mhz
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium
PSU: XFX 850w ProSeries
Default 06-14-2017, 22:22 | posts: 550 | Location: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rus View Post
Vulkan is certainly the same as DX12 - meaning that performance in it mostly depends on how good the renderer is coded for the particular hardware it is running upon. We have more than enough examples of AMD beating NV and NV beating AMD in several games now for everyone to see this.

Doom's VK renderer is predominately an AMD h/w effort which is pretty clear from AMD exclusive stuff they are using so it's little wonder that it doesn't run as well as OpenGL on NV, and drivers can only do so much to change this.

That being said, Doom Vulkan is certainly faster on NV h/w _when you are CPU limited_.
i dont know... because i certainly are cpu limited because my ancient cpu... im using i5 2500k 4.7ghz before january with the same gtx 1080 and yet opengl runs better to me than vulkan too

can post links now :)
Old
  (#28)
dmod

Videocard: Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965
Mainboard: Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
Memory: 6GB OCZ DDR2-800
Soundcard: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: Zalman ZM600-HP
Default can post links now :) - 06-15-2017, 12:10 | posts: 7 | Location: Germany

I'm certainly even more CPU limited then since I'm getting vastly superior performance out of Vulkan.

some pics

Mind you these are starting sequences of various missions without any action, so they're quite light on the CPU actually. When fighting demons the difference is even higher.

Last edited by dmod; 06-30-2017 at 12:51.

Old
  (#29)
Keesberenburg
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
Processor: 3820 4500mhz
Mainboard: Ramage IV formula x79
Memory: Kingston hyperX beat 16gb
Soundcard: XFI titanium fatality
PSU: Corsair hx750i
Default 06-15-2017, 13:21 | posts: 625 | Location: Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
Is Vulkan supposed to be faster than OpenGL?

The only reason I ask is because in DOOM (2016) on my machine with a single (G-SYNC) monitor and a single GTX 1080 Ti I found I got 10-15 fps less with Vulkan on the same level at 3840x2160 than I did with OpenGL. Where I got 95-105 fps with OpenGL, I got 80-95 fps with Vulkan on the exact same level and with the same settings except for the API used.

In fact, the only reason I never used Vulkan for that game is that on my previous GTX 1080 I could run 4K @ 2560x1440 and v-sync on at a smooth locked 60 fps but with Vulkan not only was performance jerkier but the framerate would dip below 60 fps from time to time, which is supported by my current findings with Vulkan v1.0.42 in the v382.53 WHQL driver. It's why I've never understood why anyone would use it. It is actually worse than DX12 vs. DX11 as the performance difference is much greater not just 1-4 fps.
I have more fps with Vulkan with driver 382.05 vs OGL. In mission Hell on Mars, wen look in the beginning outside, on that brige i get with OGL 75-80 FPS and with Vulkan 100+ FPS. 2560x1440 144hz. I think cause of me 3820 4core 8 threads?

Old
  (#30)
nz3777
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gtx 980 Strix @ 1500Mhz
Processor: Fx 8320 E @ 4.2 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M
Memory: 8gb 1600mhz/Ballistic
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Recon 3d
PSU: Corsair Hx 850
Default 07-02-2017, 17:30 | posts: 1,664 | Location: Willowbrook ill.

Just curious but how many games actually support ( Vulkan ) ?

Old
  (#31)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 07-02-2017, 20:49 | posts: 1,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz3777 View Post
Just curious but how many games actually support ( Vulkan ) ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Vulkan_support