PS4 not worth the cost, says Nvidia

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 14, 2013.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Chip-maker Nvidia didn't want to work with Sony "at the price those guys were willing to pay."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ps4-not...=Topslot;LatestGamingNews;Ps4NotWorthTheCostS

Sour grapes? They are out of the console race completely apart from their own dubious 'handheld'. Remember what happened between M$ and Nvidia with the original XBox? I personally think they are a little to smug and greedy.

I think AMD need the cash at the moment and I say good for them to come to an agreement with all 3 big names, which is in stark contrast to Nvidia!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    totally agree, sounds really sour

3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Also I personally went from 2 x 5850's (which I had very few problems with driver wise) to 2 x 670's with some noticeable problems. Also I did this instead of staying with AMD because their drivers are meant to be better and for Physx.

Rolls have reversed since I bought these! So it's my fault guys! Nvidia drivers of late have got worse and AMD's have had a major kick up the back side in the last 6 months!

Physx is not well supported too. I would rather see open source library's supported more.

So the above article situation coupled with PC situation... not looking to good.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I went from AMD to nVidia and all problems went away!

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Ummm what's up with Nvidia's mood these days?

6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What are these mythical problems you speak off? Apart from TombRaider I have not had an issue with nvidia in almost 15 years. Maybe a few niggles here and there but not to the extent you claim. My cards run perfectly. Always have.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is this negative? It's written exactly how a business person would have written it. It's pretty obvious that AMD has lower cost parts than Nvidia and were willing to bid lower than Nvidia was.

What do you want the guy to come out and say "PS4 is going to be great because AMD is great and they did a great job with the chip in it!!!!1!1"

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    cry nvidia cry, they are just jealous, i don't care about that silly mood. :wanker:

And as long as i see fan-boys having the nvidia's wannabe superb attitude i will support amd as strongly i can. :banana: :pc1: all hail to ps4. Long live the king.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    please take the consoles, have no interest in them personally, faster AMD dies and takes all her fanboys with her the better.

10. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    [​IMG]

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Apart from being interpreted as mostly a sore loser's reply, I actually somewhat agree with him regarding (manufacturing) capability.

AMD have been diversifying its business by rebranding RAM stick, RAM disk software, and lately the (rumored?) SSD.
    These things don't really impact anything much because AMD just have to buy its components from somewhere else; at least manufacturing cost (and risk) isn't something that needs to be thought about.
    But the deals with the consoles' big three are really going to test AMD's..well, GF's, manufacturing capability to provide the chips.

Nvidia already have a sizable business on Tesla and, to a lesser extent, Tegra (apart from their core desktop & mobile graphics), and probably wouldn't want to risk a disagreeable ROI on the prices the console makers are offering.
    Probably also due to Nvidia (currently) isn't exactly hurting for money.
    AMD, on the other hand...

In any case, good luck to AMD.
    If this whole console deal thing is working for them, then maybe they can funnel more funds on support rather than marketing.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Then you'll switch back to AMD and you'll say the same goddamn thing but you will swap Nvidia/AMD.

ZzZZzz

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So I added my personal opinion to how things actually went for me with various cards/drivers and I get attacked? No need. I thought this site was better than this...

Any way back on topic.

EDIT: @ k1net1cs. Some good points made here.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Oh dear :p

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nvidia sounds a bit butthurt on this.

This is the quote that is unprofessional

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, they seem to be butthurt. first the TR PR fiasco and now this.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont think they are butthurt, just they do their marketing ( like any company will do ).

It was certainly more easy and less costly in R&D for AMD to use as base for the hardware, their own APU ( CPU + GPU ) for the next console generation, Instead of Nvidia who have been surely able to use a GK106 as base, but who will have need a lot of R&D on the CPU side specifically for thoses new consoles ( i dont think they will have use a Tegra4 lol ). Remember the Cell cores used before, many was complain, starting by the developpers.

AMD had an excellent base ready with their own hardware stuffs. The choice was not hard to made. Without speaking about all the compatibility and similitude with the PC developpement, library etc.. a lot more easy for the developpers.

On the point Tamasi is explaining something clearly logic: if they need to developp from scratch a CPU who can be used with their GPU, they will have need put a lot of peoples on it. And this have a big costs.

On the other hand, AMD have all the technology with their APU ready.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But it's not a technology thing? And I don't see how it's unprofessional? To me it's pretty clear that the PS4 was targeting a fairly low price point relative to past console launches. They weren't shopping for the best technology, they were shopping for the lowest price per performance, which is how AMD has been competing for years now.

It's like you ask the guy his opinion, he gives it to you in a fairly reasonable matter -- gives all the logic and reason behind the choice "OMG BUTTHURT".

This is probably why you don't hear more behind the scenes news, people are too polarized.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    What's wrong with people.

Nvidia isn't going to sell chips for peanuts.

They obviously have worked out the profit margins and realised it aint worth it.

They would rather invest their money in other ventures and gain larger margins, i mean who wouldn't.

It's just common sense. Seems to be lacking on this thread though.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think the problem is the writer. In a vacuum, this does seem "butthurt" like "Oh Nvidia released a statement about how butthurt they are, boohoo". But then you have to realize the article is written by a third party journalist. Given that, the statement takes on a whole new light when you frame it as a response to a question, something like "How does Nvidia feel about not getting a contract for any of the next generation consoles?"

When you see it as a response to that, it feels less like butthurt.