Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Old
  (#651)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 06-19-2017, 20:08 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
Yeh, they made changes in CU, if you look at WD icon an settings, if you have cluod off option but realtime on you still get the yellow mark on icon with "action recommended".

On AV, well they might not be wrong, many AV can mess with system files and resources.
and MS own updates dont mess with system files and resources? and or cause issue?

I have WD icon and server disabled

Old
  (#652)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 Gaming 4G
Processor: i5-3570k@4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77V pro
Memory: 16Gb-DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair XT650
Default 06-19-2017, 23:35 | posts: 1,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
and MS own updates dont mess with system files and resources? and or cause issue?

I have WD icon and server disabled
Hehe, Come on, of course they do they manage the OS, 3rd party must follow in proper ways.

Old
  (#653)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-19-2017, 23:52 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
Hehe, Come on, of course they do they manage the OS, 3rd party must follow in proper ways.
Sarcasm does not work in web! but yah, MS is making much much harder for AV companies to stay on there "av" list just one more way MS is going foward with monopolizing things further

I especial hate that MS is remove software they dont "like" when systems are updated.

Which isnt all that bad till Windows start deleting things like Steam/Origin and there games in the folder. Not sure what cause it month ago my uncles pc had his Origin program and ALL games delete from his drive, when 8 hours earlier it was all there and working, not sure how if that is what really happen, but that entire dir was deleted with in 8 hours of his last use and we only one that really used that system.

Old
  (#654)
WeSbO
Master Guru

Videocard: Fury X stock
Processor: 4790K@4.7 EKWB L360 2.0
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 mark2
Memory: HyperX 1888mhz 16GB CAS10
Soundcard: Logitech Z-5450
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Default 06-20-2017, 09:45 | posts: 167

Hello all, don't really want to open a new thread for this.
Since recently, when I open a website that has an embedded youtube video within it (only youtube videos) my CPU speed goes to max, and each tab uses around 16% (so with about 6 tabs I can peg my CPU).
I don't have to start the video, just the fact that it is embedded on the page will do this. It happens with all the browsers as well. (No extentions). Youtube website works fine.
I'm thinking it is something to do with the most recent KB4022405 (which can't be uninstalled). It's not GPU drivers.
Is this a happening to anyone else ? Is this a known problem ?

(oh and by any chance is there a solution yet to the slow boot times that came with the CU?)

Last edited by WeSbO; 06-20-2017 at 09:51.

Old
  (#655)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-20-2017, 20:13 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

i have no such issue it might your browser the cause

Old
  (#656)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill Trid.Z 3000 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 06-26-2017, 21:23 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

Just came from geforce driver forum and got me thinking:

wasn't CU supposed to give users more control over updates via WU? Or was I dreaming

Old
  (#657)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-26-2017, 21:56 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

there is a "do not included drivers with windows update" option in the gpedit since 1607. This can even be done via registry too

Since I enabled this all my systems that 1607 or higher including CU i have not see windows trying to download or install drivers, I still using 375.70 too

Last time I seen windows try to install drivers, and or forcible download install them with notice, was back in 1511 build

Last edited by tsunami231; 06-26-2017 at 22:00.

Old
  (#658)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Default 06-27-2017, 10:47 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

Quote:
there is a "do not included drivers with windows update" option in the gpedit since 1607. This can even be done via registry too

Since I enabled this all my systems that 1607 or higher including CU i have not see windows trying to download or install drivers, I still using 375.70 too

Last time I seen windows try to install drivers, and or forcible download install them with notice, was back in 1511 build
Any idea what registry value needs to be changed? I have Home edition so no gpedit.

Old
  (#659)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 06-27-2017, 12:12 | posts: 13,182 | Location: Sweden

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/stop-w...-automatically

Quote:
Using Group Policy Editor

Type gpedit.msc in start search and hit Enter to open Group Policy Editor.

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation.

Now in the RHS pane double click on Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings.

Set it at Enabled. Click Apply / OK.

Using Windows Registry

If your Windows does not have Group Policy, you can navigate to the following key in Windows Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\DriverSearching

Set the value of SearchOrderConfig to 0 to block driver updates. A value of 1 allows downloads of driver updates.

Restart your computer.
Home Edition though so at worst it's going to be ignored though at best it'll still take with the only difference being that you'd need to look up or know the registry value which is pretty much what is set via GPEdit so the results should be the same.

EDIT: In general this from Microsoft can also be useful but it doesn't cover all the settings.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...osoft-services

Though together with other guides it should give a good overview of the various GPEdit settings and what they do.

Old
  (#660)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-27-2017, 12:29 | posts: 1,347

You can use GP to also stop driver updates for specific HW ID#, down side is when you want to manually update that HW you will need to disable it back to stock setting and then enable after the update back again.

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how...cific-drivers/

I think this still works in CU.

Old
  (#661)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-27-2017, 20:27 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
You can use GP to also stop driver updates for specific HW ID#, down side is when you want to manually update that HW you will need to disable it back to stock setting and then enable after the update back again.

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how...cific-drivers/

I think this still works in CU.
yah that still works, quiet well WU could download drivers all it want and try to install it all it wants, but it will fail for what class guid device you specified.

"Do not included drivers with windows update" has done is job of blocking, but on home, it may or maybe not work when done threw registry, I know last time I tired to force "home" of win 10 to notify before downloading threw WU it didnt work either

Old
  (#662)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Default 06-27-2017, 20:57 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

^ thanks guys.

Actually like I posted earlier I'm running a WU installed driver atm just happily. Not too optimistic about future driver updates via WU though.

Plus the current WU driver is installed on a clean install of Windows without any previous drivers. It's the most hassle free, and completely telemetry/bloatware free, driver I've had for a while (382.05).

Maybe I'll just see what happens. Some people on geforce driver forum said WU may even overwrite a newer driver should it so decide...

Old
  (#663)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-27-2017, 21:46 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
^ thanks guys.

Actually like I posted earlier I'm running a WU installed driver atm just happily. Not too optimistic about future driver updates via WU though.

Plus the current WU driver is installed on a clean install of Windows without any previous drivers. It's the most hassle free, and completely telemetry/bloatware free, driver I've had for a while (382.05).

Maybe I'll just see what happens. Some people on geforce driver forum said WU may even overwrite a newer driver should it so decide...
telemetry from nvidia drivers dont get installed if you manual exact the exe. and manual run setup.exe and pick, drivers and physic only, and dont install GFE

Old
  (#664)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Default 06-27-2017, 22:01 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

I know that but given the choice of readily "clean" driver I'll take it.

Old
  (#665)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-28-2017, 01:24 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
I know that but given the choice of readily "clean" driver I'll take it.
the wu drivers are not it either, unless you need 3d vision/hd audio drivers. i dont need either so wu wanting to install that stuff is bloat to me

Last edited by tsunami231; 06-28-2017 at 18:53.

Old
  (#666)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 06-28-2017, 06:31 | posts: 13,182 | Location: Sweden

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4022716

Quote:

This non-security update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

Addressed an issue introduced by KB4022725 where Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge printing from a frame may result in 404 not found or blank page printed.
Addressed issue where network printers may fail to install when using the printer vendor’s setup software on machines with less than 4 GB of RAM. These printers will install properly if you install using the Settings app or from Devices and Printers in Control Panel.
Addressed issue that causes high memory usage for the Camera app on mobile platforms, which reduces battery life. Any app that uses a media capture element (MCE) or media element (ME) and plays 1080p will consume a lot of power, which will significantly reduce battery life.
Addressed issue where, after updating to the Creators Update, devices that have Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) enabled have significantly low wireless throughput.
Addressed issue (Error 0x7F) with Windows Forms (WinForms) that causes the system to crash after upgrading to the Creators Update.
Addressed issue that prevents users from connecting to the Terminal Services Gateway (TSG) running on Windows Server 2008 SP2 after upgrading to the Creators Update. As a result, users cannot access Remote Desktop Services or remote apps.
Addressed issue where, if you specify an auto-logon configuration in Unattend.xml, auto-logon only works on the first logon, but will not work again when the device is restarted.
Addressed issue where users cannot sign in with Face after upgrading to Windows 10 RS2.
Addressed issue where, after upgrading to Windows 10 RS2, modem dial-up fails with Error 633.
Addressed issue where the smartcard service (sccardsvr.exe) stops periodically and never restarts when the smart card application attempts to access the cards.
Addressed issue where, when a laptop connected to an ISCSI disk leaves the corporate network, an error may occur when it resumes if it does not connect to the VPN fast enough.
Addressed issue where a remote desktop connection with Windows 2016 RDS server fails authentication when using smartcards.
Addressed issue where Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Device Management (DM) uses the wrong interface to index the on-demand APN.
Addressed issue with a memory leak in the camera platform across all devices for PC (MIPI and USB cameras).
Addressed issue where, if the device lid close action was set to "Do Nothing", closing and re-opening the lid causes all Universal Windows Platform apps to stop responding.
Addressed issue with failed login scenarios that occur because the device does not reconnect to the host PC.
Addressed issue where users must wait between 40 to 60 minutes after a print spooler restart before attempting to change any printer settings.
Addressed issue where the cursor type does not maintain the arrow shape when the user mouses over a select option in Internet Explorer.
Addressed issue where searching for a string on a page that has many iframes causes Internet Explorer to stop working.
Addressed issue where Internet Explorer stops responding when a user clicks on an empty column header and then immediately holds down the SHIFT key and double clicks.
Addressed issue where the onhashchange event is not called when navigating hashed URLs in Internet Explorer.
Addressed issue to improve pairing, connecting, synchronizing, and notifications experiences for a third-party wearable device.
Addressed issue to improve Bluetooth connectivity to wearable devices.
Addressed issue where the NewWindow3 event is not called in Internet Explorer.
Address issue with a memory leak that occurs when calling BluetoothGATTRegisterEvent() and BluetoothGATTUnregisterEvent() functions for an NFC card reader.
Addressed issue where a clear (x) button inside HTML text fields cannot be disabled using the ::ms-clear attribute when Document Modes are less than 10 in Internet Explorer 11.
Addressed issue where Internet Explorer 11 would fail to load HTML page after installing KB3021952.
Addressed issue where a Windows Phone experiences data loss (email, contact, SMS, etc.) caused by Unistore database corruption.
Addressed issue where guest VMs bound to a wireless NIC can lose network connectivity if the guest does not send an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packet in the fixed timeout window (5 minutes).
Addressed issue where certain elements (input or select) cannot be active targets of any action in Internet Explorer 11. This occurs after removing an iframe that contained a cursor inside certain elements (input or select) and then adding a new iframe.
Addressed issue with NVIDIA drivers that stop working (Error 0x9f) when the system goes to sleep. This also causes a shutdown of Microsoft Surface Hubs.
Addressed issue to improve Remote Desktop Protocol connections to an RD Gateway configured for RPC over HTTP.
Addressed issue with non-UWP applications calling into Windows.Devices.Bluetooth API's to register callbacks or Async operations.
Addressed issue with an NFC driver that becomes non-functional because of improperly tracked timer handles.
Addressed issue with Centennial apps that fail if they try to use the Payment Request API.
Addressed issue where the Disk Cleanup and the Storage Settings tool remove files from system32 when file paths exceed the MAX_PATH size; as a result, the machine cannot be booted.
Addressed issue to set the default cellular data roaming setting to “Don’t roam” when upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1703.
Addressed a reliability issue in Windows Search.
Addressed issue that lead to the loss of functionality on certain third-party network adapters after upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1703.

If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

That is a lot of bug fixes.

Old
  (#667)
BuildeR2
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
Processor: i7 4770k 4.4GHz 1.265v
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A BIOS 2801
Memory: 2x8GB G.Skill @ 2400Mhz
Soundcard: ALC892
PSU: OCZ FTY750W
Default 06-28-2017, 08:23 | posts: 2,334 | Location: TX

Looks like a lot of Win 10 mobile/cell phone sort of fixes. Basically zero apply to me, a bare-bones gaming first no fluff sort of user, but I suppose it's better for them to fix stuff rather than just leaving bugs.

Old
  (#668)
dsbig
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SAPPHIRE NITRO 390x
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 32gb 1866mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 06-28-2017, 10:50 | posts: 3,842 | Location: florida

been using windows 7 on my machine last couple weeks.

I have not had any display driver problem like I was having in windows 10 creators update.

problem I had was TDR when web browsing and display port issues with flicker display when display is woke up from sleep. add to switch resolution back and forth and it would stop.

windows 7 also seems way more responsive then what windows 10 been.

Old
  (#669)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-29-2017, 00:47 | posts: 3,534 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Just noticed that Windows states 14GB of installed RAM. I guess 2GB were stolen by gnomes or something...

Update: Still HwInfo shows 16GB and all 4 sticks as 4GB (i.e. correctly).

Last edited by mbk1969; 06-29-2017 at 00:57.

Old
  (#670)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-29-2017, 01:36 | posts: 7,558 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk1969 View Post
Just noticed that Windows states 14GB of installed RAM. I guess 2GB were stolen by gnomes or something...

apparntly my gnomes from my old x58 build have migrated to you! possible igpu using 2 gb?

Old
  (#671)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 06-29-2017, 01:56 | posts: 9,999

Quote:

It's hiding with the 0.5GB of your 970

Old
  (#672)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 06-29-2017, 12:39 | posts: 3,534 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
apparntly my gnomes from my old x58 build have migrated to you! possible igpu using 2 gb?
It`s like "There and never back again". Can`t blame them...

Are there CPUs with iGPU in IvyBridge-E line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
It's hiding with the 0.5GB of your 970
I bet 0.5GB from 970 lured it to the bar! Rascal...

Last edited by mbk1969; 06-29-2017 at 12:42.

Old
  (#673)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-29-2017, 13:56 | posts: 1,347

I got 3750k/GTX970 and all seems ok, shows 16GB in memory section of task-manager>performance.

No IGP on E's

Are you using any kind of cache application, like Samsung magician> Rapid mode?

Last edited by EdKiefer; 06-29-2017 at 14:00.

Old
  (#674)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 06-29-2017, 14:42 | posts: 3,534 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
I got 3750k/GTX970 and all seems ok, shows 16GB in memory section of task-manager>performance.

No IGP on E's

Are you using any kind of cache application, like Samsung magician> Rapid mode?
Have no SSDs.
In all places - about, old system info, task manager, resource monitor - 14GB is shown. I even launched RAMmap from SysInternals and it also stated 14GB (probably works through Win API).

It may be some feature of chipset/BIOS - like gap or shadowing of devices` ROMs - which is taken into account by this edition of Windows. I did not look at that info recently but am sure that it was 16GB back in Win7 and Win8+

Last edited by mbk1969; 06-29-2017 at 14:46.

Old
  (#675)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-29-2017, 16:33 | posts: 1,347

Quote:
Have no SSDs.
In all places - about, old system info, task manager, resource monitor - 14GB is shown. I even launched RAMmap from SysInternals and it also stated 14GB (probably works through Win API).

It may be some feature of chipset/BIOS - like gap or shadowing of devices` ROMs - which is taken into account by this edition of Windows. I did not look at that info recently but am sure that it was 16GB back in Win7 and Win8+
That is odd, what version of Windows are you using?