Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Computer Monitor Forum
Computer Monitor Forum IPS Panels, Brands, Ultra HD, G-Sync, 144Hz, FreeSync it all is monitor related. This is the place where you can discuss all monitor related matters. Find help and information about high resolutions and refresh rates, VGA ti Display port connectors.

Monitor suggestions: Music composition and gaming on the side
Old
  (#1)
asavage643

Videocard: Toshiba 8GB
Processor: Intel i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: N/a
Question Monitor suggestions: Music composition and gaming on the side - 06-01-2017, 10:10 | posts: 1

Hey all,

Considering doing a pc build within the next year and doing some research on appropriate monitors for my needs. Any help or comments is highly appreciated.

Will be using this monitor as a single monitor, for many hours at a time. I well be composing music on this computer. This entails a lot of real estate on my screen, so I'm thinking a semi-large screen (debating somewhere in between 24 and 27 inches; any input on this would be helpful as well) and most likely a 2K resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio. Additionally need a lot of mobility with the screen itself; large portrait-oriented scores would likely require the screen to flip 90 to go from landscape to portrait. Turning the screen left and right, tilting up and down slightly and height adjustment is also needed, as I will need to adjust often and will be buying a new desk as well, and I don't yet know how it will sit.

Additionally, I will be doing gaming on the side. Stuff like Overwatch, Far Cry, Batman Arkham, Borderlands, Deus Ex, etc. Will likely be purchasing a low to mid range graphics card for the build. With this in mind, I don't know if purchasing a monitor with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz will yield much benefit. I don't yet know if my gaming will be done at 2K or 1080p. I imagine that my graphics card would struggle to reach 60 fps on some games with 2K resolution. This is something I would like some advice on for sure in addition to the above paragraph.

Cost is rather restricting; I am hoping to keep the monitor below $350 USD.

Currently, I have the following models in mind. These are by no means the only ones I am considering; please make any recommendations for different models and/or advice concerning the ones I have looked at.

ASUS P278Q 27"

ASUS P277Q 27"

ASUS P258Q 25"

Samsung S32D850T 32"

Some of these have a 75 Hz refresh rate, which might give a little bit higher refresh rate for those games that can do a little extra (in my mind at least, this might be false for all I know, do let me know if this is incorrect).

Also the ASUS P277Q and the P278Q are very similar. I've been reading a lot about TN vs IPS screens, which differs on these two models. I am not sure which is best or needed for what I am doing, so please advise if you can.

Thank you all for your help in advance with all of these questions!!

-asavage643

Old
  (#2)
DerSchniffles
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury
Processor: Core i5 6600k @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z170GAMINGM3
Memory: 16gb DDR4 3200mhz
Soundcard: AT M-40x Headphones
PSU: Corsair 850
Default 06-10-2017, 01:32 | posts: 1,392 | Location: Washington State

Have you thought of ultrawide? You would love the screen real estate it gives and its amazing with games.

I bought my 34" 75hz freesync ultrawide for $320 at best buy of all places. Its not top end by any means, but its very nice and I for sure will never go back from ultrawide.

Old
  (#3)
Jack007

Videocard: 4G
Processor: I5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 300W
Default 06-18-2017, 10:36 | posts: 4

These models may be helpful:http://bestpcmonitor.org/best-monito...video-editing/