Battlefield 3 VGA and CPU performance benchmark test [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

After waiting way too long before the game to be unlocked we wanted bring you guys one of our traditional graphics and processor performance articles. As such we'll take a card or ten today and have...

More...

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Thanks for the article. Just wondered how 2x560ti sli would work with ultra settings. I guess the 1gb vram would cause an issue?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Depends on your resolution really, up-to 1920x1200 it should work really well. Currently I can't test any other configurations as I'm still locked out of my Origin account.

Perhaps later there will be a multi-GPU update. But time-time-time-time- ....

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm kind of surprised that Dice didn't release their own benchmark for BF3...

Nice review Hilbert.

5. xkche

xkche Guest

GPU:
    intel
    I run the game in a Athlon II X3@x4 955, Asus GTX460 (768) and run slow :(

The quality is in medium, with some on Low to run OK.

T.T

6. psstuy

psstuy New Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX 460 1GB
    Nice article. I guess I'll know soon as I get a copy of the game if my processor is gonna hold back my 6970s at 1920x1080.
    About Origin well.....

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Need Multiplayer benchmarks for CPU.

The Multiplayer is totally CPU bound and benching Singleplayer does not reflect this.

In Singleplayer I can overclock my 5970 and gain 20-30fps and running 99% on both GPU cores. 70% usage on CPU.

In multiplayer it is the opposite, no gain at all from overclocking GPU and only 70% GPU usage. CPU usage 100% on all cores.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Article review is meh.. CPU bench is crap, SP is not CPU bound at all but 32-64 player is cpu bound.

9. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
  10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    It's an issue for me I think. I'm trying to game at 1920x1200 at ultra settings and for most of the time it runs super smooth, but as time progresses I suffer from heavy lag spikes up to the point where performance crumbles to 15 fps and I have to reload the level...

Oh and jesus EA, why do you have to be so egocentric and come up with Origin, it's horrible! Yet again EA manages to annoy us all :puke2:

Props to DICE for the engine. It looks like Crysis and runs as FEAR3

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Thanks for the benchies Hilbert! Too bad that Origin sux so much, I was looking forward to seeing how a "lesser" CPU would handle the game at higher settings.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Awesome, cheers Hilbert... :thumbup:

13. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Would it be better for me to add an extra 5850, or just upgrade to a better card?

14. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    it would be an issue if running 1920x1080. im running at that resolution with a gtx 580 and its using 1450mb vram.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Trying to benchmark in MP mode is an exercise in futility.
    Even if the same hardware was used the results would be different every single time.

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Thanks for the review. But the one thing that bothers me is you using 4x AA as default. Take it off and it would totaly contradict your performance comments for example, where you mentioned the GTX560 just ins't up to the task at 1080P resolution. Well, it is with AA off. AA should not be a default thing for online benchmarking! This makes your reviews misleading at best and gives the impression to avoid the GTX560 class cards.

This is the issue I always have with online reviews. The results are misleading and do not really tell the truth!

Sigh...

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You know what maleficarus™, the staff has given you way too much leesh and infractions. Combined with the daily complaints and reports we receive about you I think I can speak for many -- you won't be missed.

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    Hail to HH this place will be a much happier place without him, I kicked him from the platoon also.

You dont play nice you dont get nice things :)

19. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Aww, shame about the cpu benches (you are gonna do the rest right?), i just wanna see if all the other sites i've read are correct (that in BF3 X4s and X6s are fastest).

But overall it looks like CPU really doesn't mean much at all even at the lower resolutions on this game.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    :cheers:

If anything, Hilbert was reiterating that a GTX 560 is the base entry for high quality 1920X1080 gaming with BF3 @ 30FPS. And unfortunately I will never know where the hell did you come with the idea that AA all of a sudden should not be used for benchmarking...

----------

Anyways, looks like AMD have a lot of driver optimization's to take care of.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011