Adobe Flash hardware acceleration issue, etc.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Forky, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Forky

Forky Guest

Using hardware acceleration with Adobe Flash Player NPAPI results in an immediate crash. Everything works fine with hardware accel disabled.

The PPAPI flash player ends up getting stuck in loading loops making it impossible to use, but I'm not sure if that's related.

I also often crash if I turn on a game after having certain applications running. For example, if I turned on Bluestacks or Droid4x (android emulators), I will with 100% certainty crash if I turn on a game even after these programs have been turned off. The only way I've been able to handle this issue is by signing out of windows and back in.

I've had this problem since driver 15.7.1. Has anyone else had these issues, and if so, are there any fixes? Thanks.

2. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You use Windows 10, right?

That happens to me too: from the 15.7.1, the acceleration hardware on my computer broke.
    Videos, flash, all involve acceleration stopped working.

The only solution I found was to install the Catalyst 15.6 beta for win 8.1.

3. Forky

Forky Guest

Yup windows 10. I don't want to lose the improvements from current drivers, but this is really annoying.

4. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Yep same here, i gave up on flash hardware acceleration, ever since i got windows 10, the NPAPI flash with any amd driver does the same thing for me. With Flash-HW Accel off, everything is golden.

EDIT: actually it is worse for me, whole pc freezes and have to hard reset.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Or put HW Acc Off or change your windows version to 8.1/7 or put Flash in add-ons to Ask to Activate or uninstall useless Flash.
    Win 10 is beta what do you expect? :)

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    who the hell needs flash acceleration anyway?

are you using a potato or something?

7. Forky

Forky Guest

Getting BSODs if I start a game after starting certain applications is the bigger issue for me. Flash acceleration would just be nice to have, but I can live without it.

Maybe TH2 and the associated driver will finally provide a fix.

Can't uninstall flash since I need it for Twitch and a lot of video streaming websites. I pretty much just keep HW Acc off now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Bad realtek driver can do that, i battle that pc freeze thing for 5 years cause bad/broke realtek audio drivers.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Believe it or not, that's fixed an issue I've been having with Firefox and Flash content. It would cause the browser to lock up. Deleting all those files seems to have sorted it out for now. Thanks.

10. Forky

Forky Guest

This didn't fix anything for me, but my problem extends to any form of acceleration, so I think it's beyond the scope of cleaning LSOs. Good information, nonetheless.

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I did have the same prob as you run anything with HW-acceleration and insta crash to the point of power off the pc and reboot I did find that uninstalling flash and re-installing it stopped it for a while but it's now back to randomly crashing I can play a few vids and nothing happens go and start slotomania on FB and near instant crash / Hard lock up (under windows 10 and Opera 32.0.1948.69) so I don't think it's a browser problem it's a flash problem that goes away when you turn off HWA

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    have you tried Firefox x64 bit variant and x64 bit flashplayer?

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/firefox/

Its safe, its just modded to work as x64 and its great, I've been using his releases since v36 and no issues.

13. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    ^This... pure awsomeness, i still keep flash hw-accel off though just for good measure but this still is way smoother in flash movies. It's freaking oct-2015 64-bit should be rolled out to default by now. :bang: Chrome is doing it right with their beta channel download (installs 64bit automatically if you have 64bit windows).

14. Forky

Forky Guest

Don't 64 bit browsers use nearly twice the RAM compared to 32-bit?

15. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    No they don't also they are much faster.

16. densou

densou Member Guru

GPU:
    3070 Twin Edge OC
    :3eyes: modded Firefox? Nah guys, try Pale Moon - ol' fashioned Firefox-like [and Gecko powered]
    e.g. on YT it runs FLASH instead of Html5 as default choice :infinity:

17. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    I figured out a workaround that still lets you...

EDITED: nevermind, ugh i removed this cause it doesn't work anymore in the latest drivers (15.11-beta) it breaks other stuff now. Ill try to figure some other way.

And yes the crash issue still is there is the new drivers.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  18. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Probably, i sent in a bug report a while ago, probably they don't care much they figure meh just let ppl disable NPAPI-flash HW acceleration. And a lot of folks would just like to see flash just die off altogether, so i guess that's that.

19. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    EDITED: seem my post below

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  20. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    well i can tell you that the files in question that i have posted below are being accessed by the flash player during flash-video stream in firefox, and from DXVA Checker stats it looks like it is calling the function H264_VLD_NoFGT_Flash: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD during flash videos. Ill see what else i find when i can poke around some more into things. But for now:

Going on a hunch i decided to give something a try and it works.

I tested with mpc-hc (h/w accel works), firefox-flash 32 and 64 bits, DXVA Checker. Basically you want to replace 4 drivers files, 2 in system32 and 2 in SysWOW64. They are the "Radeon Video Acceleration Universal" driver files, to older ones i pulled from the old catalyst 14.12 for windows 8.1. No more FF-FLASH crashing the AMD drivers.

The exact files i replace with the older 14.12 versions are:
    atiumdva.cap -> in SysWOW64
    atiumdva.dll -> in SysWOW64
    atiumd6a.cap -> in System32
    atiumd6a.dll -> in System32

To be clear, this is on windows 10x64, currently on AMD Drivers 15.11-beta. It may work on previous windows 10 drivers, i think it should at least.

Here: in case you are lazy, i took the liberty of extracting and expanding the cat-14.12 system files that are needed, and sharing them for anyone who wants to try.

http://files.fm/u/ilhbgtv

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015