No OSD in DX11 games. DX9 works fine.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by carbon14c, Feb 21, 2017.

1. carbon14c

carbon14c Guest

GPU:
    SLI 1080 STRIX
    As title states, i cannot get my OSD to display with any dx11 games.

Fullscreen
    Fresh copy of windows 10
    Fresh drivers via nVidia (378.66)
    Fresh install of both Afterburner and RivaTuner
    Alienware m15r3
    i7-6700HQ
    GTX 1070

Have only tried csgo, overwatch, hearthstone, wow. OSD works csgo and hearthstone. does not work in wow and overwatch, unless i change wow to dx9.

One thing maybe worth noting, i had to change my rainmeter skin's GPU call to use "gpu=0" instead of "datasource=gpu1 usage" etc, rainmeter+afterburner wouldn't display any gpu related info until i did that. not sure if this would make a difference, since it doesn't on my SLI rig where afterburner works fine.

I've read elsewhere that it may be a driver issue. already went through once with DDU to uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers. both on this OS and the previous win 10 OS on this machine. no dice. maybe missing an update or something?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. carbon14c

carbon14c Guest

GPU:
    SLI 1080 STRIX
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm no expert but if you alt-tab and open up Afterburner there's a Info button in the form of a "i" icon, clicking that shows a couple of statistics including current detected running 3D processes.

For compatibility it can also be a good idea to exclude detected software from monitoring if it doesn't have a profile already if it doesn't need the OSD functionality, various applications for example or auto updaters for games or game launchers to anme some examples. :)

IE C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\CIGPatcher.exe.cfg

[Hooking]
    EnableHooking = 0

That's the Star Citizen auto updater software which is otherwise detected as a active 3D process.
    (There's a pretty good list of defaults already in RTSS but it can't cover every software released but it's pretty straightforward to make your own profiles either manually or within RTSS itself.)

Anyways getting back to Afterburner and RTSS then making sure the game you want to use the OSD with is shown here in the info panel would be a start to see if it's detected at all, also for RTSS in the settings for that ensure that the overlay is enabled and in the RTSS menu there's a gear looking icon which can be used to enable some additional options, mainly support for 64-bit if it's not enabled already although the issue here seems to be more about D3D9 and D3D11 and less about x86 and x64 but still something to look into as a form of general advice. :)

Conflict with other overlays can be a issue as well and make sure you are using a recent version of Afterburner (4.3.0 I think is the most recent.) and RTSS/Rivatuner Statistics Server (6.6.0 was just released out of beta.)

Mostly just some general advice but hopefully it's a start at least.

EDIT: For Afterburner itself the Monitoring tab in the settings should also have the OSD info you want displayed ticked as should the "Show in On-Screen Display" setting so a checkbox in the graph and then under properties it should show "In OSD" as well although if it's displaying in D3D9 I assume this is set up already. :)

In the On-Screen Display tab itself clicking on More brings up the RTSS menu, if you want it always on then the global profile should be set to low detection and then for compatibility additional profiles can use medium and high if needed, on-screen display support and show on-screen display should also show as On and I prefer Raster 3D myself in Framebuffer but different games require different options for this, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood both require Vector 2D for example if I remember correctly.

And then for the gear icon you can enable 64-bit support here and in newer versions (6.6.0 and above.) you can also set a delay injection which is used for compatibility with for example Origin and Steam's overlays under x64 :)
    (Should be 15 seconds by default and then IGO64.dll for Origin and then either the Steam or Steam overlay 64-bit .dll for Steam.
    (These are set by default in the config file in 6.6.0 already.)

There are a number of other options as well but it requires opening the config file and well it's for more advanced usage whereas the settings in the actual software all have helpful little notification messages further explaining their use.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. carbon14c

carbon14c Guest

GPU:
    SLI 1080 STRIX
    dude. i typed out a long list of all the stuff i just checked (double checked in most cases)

then i got to the profile part, started fiddling around with making more profiles for rainmeter and some other things that it was showing in the 3d process list.

restart the computer, fire up WoW. low and behold.... d3d11 shows 120fps. thank you so much for the help! sometimes it's the simple things...