The Darkness 2 [Official thread]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheHunter, Sep 26, 2011.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Finally they're gonna release PC version too..
    [​IMG]

apparently 4.October 2011 (US) and 7.October 2011 (EU)

http://www.vgreleases.com/PC/ReleaseDate-842218.aspx

or not:
    release date:
    World: February 2012
    USA: February 2012
    Europe: February 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=16260

----

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/the-darkness-ii-handson-preview-8535

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-darkness-ii/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So soon? i though it should take a while...anyway good to know, i'm gonna sure try this one out.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yea or not, i've added another link and there it says Feb 2012.. heh:infinity:

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, the game was originally announced in Feb this year. The Oct release date was the original projection, but the game was then delayed to Feb next year.

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Looks so bad compared to the first one.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's in game.
    They're going with a visual style that looks similar to the actual comic books. Personally, I think it looks great.
    I'm always up for a great, stylized game. Not every game needs to look one hundred percent realistic, or so damn dark and "gritty" you can't see anything.

8. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    its fn crap this "graphic style noir"...my butt!!.. ok thas what! but ill play it anyhow thou i hate the engines guts , but im a hardcore darkness fan , so even thou id appreciate a frostbyte 2 engine for

a darkness 3 wich im keeping my hopes up for -.-'

well atleast we get to rip our enemys apart this time around wich was lacking in the first game xD

p.s: and if enough of fools that enjoy this "graphic noir style " buy this , then we might get a 3rd darkness with the proper engine not some comic crap :puke2: and perhaps a real top cow story aka with angelus as seen in the concept art from the darkness 1 game , i want to fight some hot angel biatches !!!:banana:

if you want comic style go and read a god damned comic dont ruin immersion with this borderlands style noir oh my bad "graphic noir watchamacallit crap" -.-'

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Darkness is a 2K IP, there's no way it'll ever appear on the Frostbite 2 engine. EA won't do that. They'll do their best to keep the engine limited to EA titles only.

But, The Darkness II is using the Unreal 3 Engine. It's not the engine that makes it look like a comic book, it's the development studio and their choice in art direction. And personally, I love it.

Also, it's not "noir"... not in any way. It's just a comic book art style. There's nothing noir about it. Max Payne was noir, LA Noire... is noir. Borderlands, The Darkness II... absolutely nothing to do with noir.

10. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    thats what they call it graphic noir !!! wasnt my idea google it -.-'

and i said it would be most appropriate to use the forstbyte 2 engine if ea lets the darkness get developed on theyre engine or not isnt my call , and unreal 3 is a old engine

if at all then they should use the unreal 4 engine for it , word!!

and making excuses like well you cant change whats already fd up so might as well accept it , sorry bud but not with me -.-', im happy youre so easy to please thats the kind of customers they are looking for , for us people with an eye for detail not so much xD

not to mention for the people that have played darkness 1 game

theres so much potential i see but so little used makes my gut cringe

it could be so immersive surreal , the most epic thing !! kinda like what batttlefield 3 is for military games, but instead for horror games , but no they decide well people digg borderland why not just adapt and plus it gives us more performance instead of aiming for movie quality graphics and having the game unplayable on xbox 36o and ps3 :) , its what you call generic marketing at best if you dont agree then youre simply blind

and im sad starbreeze didnt make it then it wouldve had a angelus battle and all the badass stuff the recent darkness has been goin on , not this lame ass brotherhood stuff -.-' talk about boring , but anyhow as i AM a faithfull top cow follower i shall play it and enjoy ripping my opponents to pieces nonetheless :)

lets just hope the 3rd game looks like the first again with a epic engine of course to drive the epic visuals :banana:

thats IF a 3rd part gets made and im starting to see the chances are getting pretty low for it ...damn it!! after waiting for so many years they just slap me in the face with this god damned cartoon style crap , perhaps the modding community will be able to do something about it , just as boris did for deus ex hr , wich without his enb series would be garbage ...visually

dont get me started on 3rd person/first person switching in dx hr :biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun:

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Considering there is no UE4, that would be pretty impressive. If you're referring to the "Samaritan" video demo Epic showed, that's still UE3.
    Heavily modified, and the final step before truly going into UE4 development... but still, UE3.

This actually made me laugh. :) Thanks for that.

12. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    exactly but i can imagine after seeing the samaritan vid how epic the new version will be xD

youre welcome -.-'

but you gotta admit i do have some valid points , damn dont let them get to yall with this cheap salesman talk -.-'

if i want comic visuals i read a comic not play a game thats supposed to immerse me into its story and world , graphic noir isnt gona immerse me as non cellshaded/handpainted textures would :), was hoping itd only be a shader so you could disable it with abit of tweaking , but it seems this will take abit more modding id say , meaning wed have to replace every single handpainted texture with real ones and then some more :)

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    As a tattoo artist I find the art style being used in the Darkness II to be extremely immersive and interesting.
    And yes, there are plenty of games with cel shaded visuals that look poor, or cheap... and lack proper direction and a unifying style.
    But that is not the case with the Darkness II. The visual style being used is solid, and very well done.

And comic visuals work for a game that's based off a comic book. This style won't work for most games, but for The Darkness (I'm a fan of the comic as well) it works better then the extremely dark, realistic style the used in the first game.

And nobody "sold" me on this with "cheap salesman talk" (which, I don't even know what you're talking about with that).
    I was sold on this because it's The Darkness, I love the comic and I loved the first game. And, I found the visual style interesting. Being that it's not trying to be completely realistic looking... that caught my eye.
    Not every game needs to look like realistic. Games that use a stylized visual direction are more interesting to me... as they actually take more creativity.

Which, you mentioned Borderlands. I'm gathering you are not a fan of the visual style Gearbox used for the game.
    But, I'll say I had almost no interest in the game at all when it was first announced. Visually, it looked good ( I suppose) but boring. It looked dull, uninspired and didn't interest me at all.
    It was the change in art styles that got me interested in Borderlands, and I'll say it's that overall style that saved the game.

14. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    well i see we both have 2 different opinions i wich likes the dark and realistic style of the first game and you who enjoys himself a more comic like look

anyhow , as said i WILL enjoy the game just will be tweaking and doing some modding to bring out its beauty thats hidden xD, and at its default its already pretty nice to play i admit ok although it is quite colourfull -.-'....xD

im just saying that i wouldve liked a darkness 1 look approach more thats all ,peace

p.s:well cheap salesman talk as in them continuesly mentioning the god damned ..graphic noir in every fudgin interview, damn almost starting to turn into randy pitchford 2 if they dont stop xD

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't prefer one look over the other. It's just a matter of how it's used, the context of the game... the story and atmosphere.
    A comic book visual style wouldn't work for say FEAR, BioShock or Deus Ex... but it works for this game. It worked for XIII and Borderlands.

Visual style very rarely makes or breaks a game for me. I was originally put off Borderlands because the visual look was very dull, it looked very uninteresting based on how solely drab it looked.
    Yet, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway looks fantastic thanks to a brilliant use of realistic details and locations. I love Dead Island's tropical setting, bright and lush... but very grounded in reality. A comic book style wouldn't have suited that game.

And while I love the first Darkness game. To me, if just didn't feel like it had anything that really set it apart from other games (visually). Yes the demon arms are fun to use, and the story is great... but the visuals looked like yet another overly dark, gritty shooter set in a city.
    The Darkness II gives the game and setting some personality, a style that helps to make it stand out from other games. It's a firm example of my belief that's in not about graphical power or technology. It's about creative art direction and style.

You can have the most advanced graphical engine ever made, and people could still churn out a game that looks terrible. Or even make a game that looks great, but plays like crap.
    Technical ability does not make a great game. The UE3 may be dated, but developers are still doing great things with it. People Can Fly did great work with it in BulletStorm.
    And I think Digital Extremes are doing fantastic work with in here.

16. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    dont get me started on the overly used bloom and desaturated colours in dead island -.-', its like pouring bleach into youre eyes and doing a gaming session right after xD, thanks to da community we got that fixed asap but it shouldnt be like that in the first place only to hide the low rez crappy job that devs who get paid ,do!

well you have a point with bulletstorm it was ok thou again overused bloom -.-' thou miles away from what dead island had , but as said youre the type of person that enjoys creative art direction and style ...oh how i hate those words heard those so many times i cant take it anymore , anyhow ... just a god damn excuse!!! for being too lazy to use a good graphics engine , not even starting to mention the low rez textures most devs use -.-',once again unreal 3 engine is way outdated!!!!!

i can see you dont seem to be active in the modding community so nobody blames you for not knowing that there could be so much more done both visually and artistically AND graphically ,but eventually even you will notice !

that art direction and style arent everything that makes a game thats only a part of the complete package you got gameplay , then graphics etc etc, and thats just the way it is if you cant accept that then you may keep on playing games with nice creative art direction and style and great gameplay but graphically look like super mario bros 3 for

nintendo xD , thats not for what we got all this pc power nowadays ok , i can understand they wanna sell as many copies as possible for consoles since the majority of the marketshare is in the console market ...sad truth ..thou.. hell i wouldnt do it any other way but atleast put some more love for us pc guys in the games you make ok, and not make the guys that dont get paid a penny aka modding community work there asses off to get a half way decent looking game on the pc -.-'

peace , my 2 cents bro been a pleasure talkin to ya

and borderlands had nothing going for itself ok not visually or any other way it was simply the worst and most ugliest game ive ever seen , still gives me chills down my spine , uahhahaa!! xD

not sure if you got this message but : i will be enjoying it just not to the fullest as i could be enjoying it would it use a halfway decent engine not even without the handpainted textures would it look that much better ok , if theyd use a modified ue3 engine like the one from the samaritan and do a darkness game with those visuals ....now thatd get me hyped beyond all measure , and im hoping if top cow decided to make a 3rd one

then for the love of god no more graphic noir / handpainted shmuck !! ok

and me wants some movie quality gaming something along the borders of battlefield 3 sorry but it IS a great example ,so i get sucked in that biatch like no other forgetting to take a crap if it must be :) , the last time i had that was way back the first time they released halo combat evolved and breakdown for xbox now those had story and artistic direction others could only dream of ,ok enough of this chitchat or else i wont stop :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Official specs

Minimum:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 @ 2GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Memory: 1.5GB RAM
    Hard disk space: 10GB
    Video card: 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600

Recommended:
    Processor: 2.4 GHz quad-core processor
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard disk space: 10GB
    Video card: 512+MB Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX
    Sound: DirectX compatible

Demo announced for all platforms -

Xbox Live Gold on Jan 17th
    Steam and XBL on Jan 24th
    PSN on Jan 25th.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've already got my copy pre-ordered. :)

EDIT:
    Just ran through the demo on my 360... and good god it is awesome.
    Gameplay wise the shooting is rather similar to most modern FPS games. You can carry three weapons, and dual wield the smaller hand held ones.

But, while in the first game... the movement, shooting... aiming... it all felt a bit clunky. It wasn't overly smooth. Here player movement is very smooth and fluid, aiming and shooting are very responsive and satisfying. Very improved over the first game.
    And, the Darkness itself... a great step up from the first game. Where it was limited to a few powers, eating hearts... and moving objects around.
    While it still does all that, the various executions you can do... along with the XP system to upgrade them, it's very nice.
    Also, being able to pick up various items and throw them like spears, or large blunt objects... and being able to hold various objects in front of yourself like a shield.

And the visual style... the "cel shaded" look... makes the game. It looks like it's taken directly from the comic book. And really, it adds to the game more then I thought it would.
    It doesn't look like Borderlands or XIII... or any other recent cel shaded games.
    There's a ton of detail on the characters and the world. And it looks amazing in motion.

Add in the ability to disable the on screen hints/tips, the HUD... and the XP system pop ups. Great game.

Add in the demo is about thirty minutes long.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Any word on when the PC demo gets released today chaps? Held off from playing it on the 360 especially.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    10 AM Pacific time here in the US.

Which means it'll be out roughly at noon for me.