Driver issue? Anti-Aliasing only way to get 99% GPU usuage in BF3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Cameltotem, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Guest

GPU:
    7970 1230/1750 1.28V
    I got this really annoying issue in Battlefield 3.

When i gaze in open parts of the map with MSAA off i get around 75% GPU usage but when i turn it to 4X MSAA i get 99% GPU usage :bang:

I want to have it turned off to get more fps but i do not want my card to run on low usage!

Is it driver issue?
    Can i fix this in Catalyst control center?
    MSI Afterburner settings?
    In game settings?

Help me out here because im driving myself nuts.

I have i7 and 7970 overclocked.

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    More info. What drivers are you using, SP or MP, any OCs, resolution, other settings?

Have you tried stock? Especially mem?

And finally, why do you want higher FPS when gazing at the sky? Aren't you getting 120FPS already? Do you have a 120Hz monitor?

3. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Guest

GPU:
    7970 1230/1750 1.28V
    Im trying this out on dead multiplayer servers. 7970 at 1200 mhz. I7 at 4.46ghz.

1680x1050.

Well if i change to 925 mhz i get like 98% usage. But less fps so whats point of that. Tried the different memory clocks but made no difference.

I got 60hz monitor. I meant out in the opens where people fight. But if i look down at the floor etc i get 99% usage.

It's that freaking MSAA that gives me usage.

Really annoying this problem :bang:

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

Really???

Maybe its because the game does not require 99% usage when you turn off AA.

Not every game will use 99% usage, this is common knowledge. I will run a test to show you your not the only one because this is totally normal (it also depends on drivers used and the map as well) if your playing single player then it 100% wont use all your GPU.

5. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    This...
    If you have vsync on for example your GPU wont use 99%, if you really want 100% turn off vsync.

But whats the point? you have a 60hz display so you can only see 60FPS. Your GPU not running at 99% is a good sign not a bad sign lol

6. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB

It doesnt matter what he can or can not see. It's the comfort you get with high fps and that you simply feel, you dont have to see it.

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    This.

Try to play BF3 Multiplayer with 60fps v-synced and 100 not v-synced, 100fps will improve your aim a lot by reducing the input lag and of course because of v-sync being disabled.

Well, if he is only playing on the Single-Player then 60 is enough yeah.

8. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Comfort is probably from the frametimes. Higher frames per second equals lower frame times. 60fps is like 16ms frametime and 120fps is like 8ms.

9. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Guest

GPU:
    7970 1230/1750 1.28V
    Thing is we are not talking about 60 fps. Sometimes it can dip to 50 fps, but it's usually around 70 fps. At 75% usage.

Before i reinstalled windows with all drivers etc i usually always had 99% usage everywhere. I got 90-100 fps in the big areas with tanks and infantry.

So yeah i want it to go to 99% usage.

I tried reinstalling windows 7 and i use 12.11 beta 8 without catalyst now.

I had catalyst installed last try.

10. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    On my setup I notice no difference vsync or not but get horrible screen tear if I don't. I get zero input lag I think why people get input lag is based on the display response time rather then vsync itself, my display response time is 2ms

11. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    don't forget the usb poll rate is rather slow if you don't mod it

12. J-man

J-man Guest

GPU:
    HD 7850
    This is radeon driver bug, imo. Only excuse for not running at 99% - if CPU at 99% instead. Thats how it works on nvidia, and thats why sometimes they gets better performance.

Cameltotem Take a look if your CPU is fully loaded, it might explain your issue.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have had both Nvidia and AMD cards and my GTX480 only hit 99% usage with v-sync off, throwing tons of AA, and at a higher resolutions. My 4870x2 did the same, and my 7970 does the same too.

It depends on the game engine, the driver your using, and the settings you have set. I remember playing Oblivion with hi res texture pack, a very stressful enb, grass mods, tree mods, and armour mods. On my GTX480 I would get 99% usage with vsync off, with vsync on I would get 65% and still have 60fps. My 7970 gets around 120fps in BF3 multiplayer with Ultra and No AA and only 75% usage. Turning on AA it shoots up and hoovers around 95-100%.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This. Can't. Be. Farther. From. Truth.
    Single threaded application may use 1 core at 100%, but unless oyu bound it just to one core, it will be pushed around all available cores.
    And even task manager graphs will show you that usage is fraction based on number of cores.

In other words single threaded app may look like it's pushing 25% in average from all 4 cores.

As for BF3, single-player does not need multicore CPU, while multi-player requires it.

Thing is there are different methods of syncing threads and simple one which is mostly used is still limited by main thread performance.
    So if main thread uses all available resources from it's core, overall performance is degraded even while all other threads have a lot of spare cycles on their relative cores.

And to utilization nV vs AMD, they works exactly same in matter of DirectX standard calls. Difference is that nV gets actually bigger hit on weak CPUs since their drivers use more cycles for some stuff. (Which is not issue here since OP has powerful CPU)

My advice would be as always same. Turn everything to lowest.
    Increase one thing after another and find what settings is taking your performance.

Thing is, that before you reinstalled you had old config files, which may have preserved some settings through updates.
    BF3 have internal fps limiter, so check that too.

And as for drivers, yes those old drivers you use gave boost to performance, but miss quite a few fixes.
    After 13.2b3/b7 I would not go back to them, since they improved experience in many games.

15. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Guest

GPU:
    7970 1230/1750 1.28V

Well seemed like i might have made it better or maybe its just placebo effect.

Windows 7 energy saving options. Changed it to "high performance" feels like i get more usage now. Also changed my memory clock from 1650 to 1500 mhz.

So feels better but not sure yet. Had a lot of Bsod on my windows 7 from driver sweeper, windows updates and black screens start up caused by the ATI drivers :bang:

If you get an ATI card be sure to know how computers work lol

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You're right, tho it's not only one sided on AMD side, realtek soundcards/network adapters gives ppl headaches with performance and sometimes bsods.
    Some Marvell sata controllers are unable to even boot.
    Unless you go clean intel platform without anything around like vga you have to use experience to avoid issues and know where to pull and what to push.

Power Saving on desktops is too just to give you headache.
    On win 7 you can use hpet dpc latency test to check if there is still something lurking behind curtain.

You can try some radeonPro optimizations too.

17. Cameltotem

Cameltotem Guest

GPU:
    7970 1230/1750 1.28V
    Yeah the realtek driver is just **** it seems like. Had a lot of boot problems etc, but updated intel chipset drivers.

Wow! powersavings don't get me started on that, the **** almost fried my damn card. Freaking fan just went off, came back to see my card at 90 degrees...

But will try Raedonpro.