Realtek vs 3d Core vs Supreme FX

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by tsunami231, Sep 29, 2015.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    discuss of these 3 onboards what is better.
    I hear Supreme FX is nothing more then realtek with fancy drivers support and 3d core better??

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Supreme FX

ROG knows the importance of flawless audio – pristine effects and full-range soundtracks make the game. That's why we invest substantial engineering resources to perfect onboard audio. The result is SupremeFX. Cutting-edge isolation technologies minimize electromagnetic interference (EMI) and exceptionally premium components deliver best-in-class audio that's as great as a dedicated soundcard. But we never rest on our laurels, which is why SupremeFX 2014 has been refined even further for Maximus VII motherboards. That means even finer components and superbly clever software innovations for gaming and multimedia experiences beyond compare!

•Physical PCB isolation is a physical guard covering your audio source from top to bottom, preserving a pure and a non-distortion pathway.
    •Stainless Steel EMI protection cover protects HD audio chip from interferences, to ensure the best audio quality and isolates the environmental noise invasion.
    •ELNA® premium Japan-made audio capacitors provide warm, natural, and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity that are great for game effects and multimedia.
    •Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC provides brilliant 120dB signal-to-noise ratio, CS4398 was renowned for its clarity and purity.
    •Sonic SenseAmp a ROG invention that detects headphone impedance and adjusts the built-in amp automatically without needing to do any hardware amplifier exchanging, designed for pitch-perfect listeners.
    •Sonic SoundStage apply the best settings via the onboard Sonic SoundStage button or under OS for your favourite game genres in real time and in any OS. The debug LED displays the mode – FPS(01), racing(02), fighting(03) or sports(04).

taken from specification VII Hero
    ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    Audio Feature :
    - SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
    - ELNA premium audio capacitors
    - Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
    - DTS Connect
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
    - Sonic SoundStage
    - Sonic SenseAmp
    - Sonic Studio
    - Sonic Radar II

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i can copy and paste from web page too, I was asking about real world performance

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I was just showing info on supreme FX I find it very good no need for a dedicated sound card. The last sound card I purchased was a creative X FI fatality pro it lives in the loft

5. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I recently sold my creative Zx card (no room really with sli 980ti cards) and am using onboard so far I can't really tell the difference, it's basically a realtek 1150 codec on my Asus rampage iv black edition motherboard.

6. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Pro on my Asus Crosshair Formula V motherboard, connected analogue to a JVC TH-A9R cinema system in a stereo setup.
    I've tried the onboard SupremeFX X-Fi 2 (wich is just software running on Realtek hardware) several times, but to my ears it just cannot produce the crisp/clear high and deep lower sounds the Soundblaster does.
    I'd liked to think 'newer is better', but in this case i had to conclude otherwise.

This ofcourse is in my specific case where listening to music goes above gaming and any 3D or surround sound experience.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My mb audio is absolutely awful and the headphone amp on it equally awful. Tried it 1 time to test.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Asrock also has Purity Sound:
    - Supports Purity Sound™ 3
    - Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps
    - 115dB SNR DAC with Differential Amplifier
    - TI® NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier (Supports up to 600 Ohm headsets)
    - Pure Power-In
    - Direct Drive Technology
    - PCB Isolate Shielding

I'm surprised though that some people have said the onboard sound is awful even with ALC1150 and the features like with Purity Sound 3, Crystal Sound 2, or whatever branding is put on onboard audio features. Sure, it shouldn't be as good as a good dedicated sound card, it's not what they're intended for, but they shouldn't sound awful either! The reason for this is a dedicated sound cards purpose is solely to provide audio, and you're paying for that privilege. If onboard audio was as good as say, the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II Sound Card, then what's the point of forking out a couple of hundred dollars for the extra card?

Basically, motherboard audio is a balance between convenience and fidelity. The centre of that balance depends on the intention of the board. Low end boards the centre is almost completely to the convenience side, for higher end motherboards with whatever label they point on it is meant to be a balance between convenience and quality without adding a significant cost to the motherboard.

Psychology also plays some part in it as well.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I personally have not got all those fancy speakers and surround settings for the PC. I never used anything besides onboard sound, and so far I can't say I hear an improvement over my old on board chip with the Rampage V's ALC 1150. Then again, I can't say I wanted to have more so far, as I don't make use of much more than stereo (2.1).

10. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    That makes sense to me.
    Connecting a PC to a fancy soundsystem or headphones with a good soundcoverage will make the difference between any soundchips noticable to the ears.

I'm sure that connected to a more regular PC speaker system or lower end headphones, the difference is less (or even not at all) noticable to the ears.

I dont think there is anything like a bad soundchip on the higher end motherboards.
    I think it is safe to say that the noticable difference between any 2 soundchips depends on the hardware setup that is used to amplify the final output when comparing.

Having said that, i dont think there is such thing as a 'awefull' soundchip, except for a broken one ;)

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I got realtek and crystal sound 2 iirc, sounds absolutely awful in comparison to add in sound cards and external dacs and amps.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I wish I had room for a X-Fi but using software X-Fi MB3 with onboard sounds fairly good connected to my HDTV setup.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I do not like X-Fi. OTOH there's nothing terribly wrong with onboard.
    In the end it boils down to features and tastes.

For a real headspinner take a look at this Toms article/test:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

Of course, we're ready for the audiophile community to rise up in arms about the statement you'll read next,
    but it's true that neither an intermediate enthusiast nor a serious one with ~$70,000 in gear at home were able to reliably tell apart any of the four devices once we properly set up a blind test with accurate volume-matching.
    We actually enjoyed them all as great audio experiences.

Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up.
    Again, all four devices sounded great.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah it's psychology. That said, if something isn't right with the onboard audio, or it isn't set up correctly, it could sound terrible.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    In that Toms test listener A has been able to distinguish ALC 889 at first.
    But that was due to "volume level calibration issue which was corrected later".

After that he was no longer able to identify RLT, and his comments were:

Run #1 (Realtek ALC889): O2? DAC2? (uncertain)

Run #2 (Realtek ALC889): Asus Xonar Essence STX (uncertain)

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    OTOH...

Listener B, the guy with $70,000 gear, with hearing range from 14Hz to 20kHz was not able to tell *** all :)

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I don't really think Tom's hardware is the best place for audio stuff, headfi.org is the goto place for many audiophiles.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Do not base your opinions on preconceived notions.
    That article is far from be all and end all on the issue, but it's one spiffing test.

And the guy behind the test is not even Toms regular. If that;s a bonus.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The alc1150 is an OK chip but sounds extremely awful vs mine STX II, even with my z906 setup, probably you gonna hear a difference with SBZ over any integrated solution.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Imagine one guy with micrometer, and the other guy with digital caliper.
    Both of them are measuring small metal bolt. And their results are checked by you.
    And your instrument of choice is this:

[​IMG]

^^ That is roughly the situation with STX/ALC being judged/checked by your z906. And this is not far off even for much much better speakers than logi.

Up there in toms article we have 3 audiophiles:
    one serious guy with very good hearing range, one guy that's able to spot minor level quirks, and the author himself;

and neither of them is able to discern ALC 889 vs $2000 DAC2.
    And they are using world-class HD800 which is roughly 50 times more precise instrument than your logi speakers.

Something else is going on, if ALC1150 sounds afwul vs STX on z906