Solution to poor gf4 performance

Discussion in 'Links' started by McDeth, Jul 5, 2002.

1. McDeth

McDeth Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT OC
    I know this problem has been solved for some time, but alot of people are still asking how to fix this problem.

Some of you who went out and bought a shiny new Geforce 4 have been experiencing MAJOR slowdowns in performance. The reason for this is MOST likely you have an unsupported Ali chipset based motherboard. To fix this, simply do the following;

1)Download and install the newest Rivatuner, available here

2) Download the latest nvidia WHQL Certified drivers. (I have not tried this for drivers before 29.xx, so I do not know if Rivatuner has fixed this for these versions.)

3) Open up Rivatuner, and go to the "power user" page. Find the icon with the magnifying glass over the folder and click that. *VIOLA*

:D

2. f0rEiGnEr

f0rEiGnEr Guest

That solved my problems!!

No more breaks and the minimum frame rate is now 90fps (Unreal Tournament 1024*768) !!!

3. yea should at least tell us wot keys to change ???? dude it won't fix ya prob just by saying click the button.....we need exact details.

4. SammyBoy

SammyBoy Guest

I know what he's talking about. After loading the matched detonator database (that's the second folder icon), you have to go to the System line (not System Advanced), expand it, then scroll down to EnableAliAGP. Right click it, click the lighted bulb, save the changes, and reboot. This will enable AGP Texture Acceleration, which the GF4 seems to rely on more than previous GF cards (my brothers GF3 didn't benefit nearly as much as mine did, as I had a 20-30% performance increase, and his was more like 5-10%, and we both have very similar systems).

Also, this fix only works on Ali chipset motherboards. The general rumor is that Nvidia disabled Texture Acceleration on Ali boards because of instability, but this was done, I think, around the time of the original GeForces, maybe the GF2. Now, most Ali boards have decent AGP slots and drivers. I know I haven't had any problems yet. I'm running a Asus A7A266 with 1.33GHz AMD and Ti4400.

Again, this is an Ali chipset-only fix, and seems to work the best on GF4s, but gives some increase in the other GF cards.

-SammyBoy

5. McDeth

McDeth Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT OC
    The updated version of Rivatuner has ( to my knowledge) added those keys to the default enabled values for the 29.xx drivers. I had just reloaded my computer from scratch and noticed this, because I downloaded the new version of rivatuner and was going in to change the values, and I noticed that they were already enabled.

6. raystormer

raystormer Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4870 on tx-42" westy
    so what about people with via mobo`s....i should stiill get at least 8000+ with my 4200..64meg... but i don`t

7. isoacid

isoacid Guest

is there any solution or non ali chipsets? :( Intel chipsets suck!

8. SammyBoy

SammyBoy Guest

Hrm... well, RivaTuner does have an option that has it enable/set all chipset-specific tweaks. It more or less compatabilty tweaks, but sometimes that's what causes sup-par performance. To turn on the tweaks, open RivaTuner, look at driver settings box, click the arrow box next to the driver description, then click the video card in the box that appears. Go to the compatability tab, and then select the correct option. Most people will check the box at the very bottom, unless you have an old VIA socket 7 board, or an old AMD Irongate chipset (AMD 750/1). Not really sure how much this will help things. You should also make sure that you have the AGP set at 4x, apeture at 128MB, and other tweaks that can be done in the BIOS.

-SammyBoy

9. isoacid

isoacid Guest

my bios has no agp setting options or anything useful... is there anyway i can get the bios features like by using a program or something?

10. McDeth

McDeth Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT OC
    jeez, no agp settings in the bios? I say get a new mobo, lol!

11. SammyBoy

SammyBoy Guest

Erm, you might be kinda out luck then. Without anything to set in the BIOS, its very hard to tweak anything. And as to programs, you'd have to ask around, since I know nearly nothing about chipsets and motherboards that don't run AMD. Sorry.

-SammyBoy

12. spray^n^pray

spray^n^pray Guest

Okies I have an Asus motherboard with the Intel 850 chipset so that means I dont have Ali? Is that right?

Im justing hoping beyond hope....

13. spray^n^pray

spray^n^pray Guest

and that means im stuffed? any fix for the intel chipset??? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasee :(

14. staticduo

staticduo Guest

I have no problem With mine Leadteck Winfast GF4 TI 4200 64 Mg.

My system:
    AMD xp 1800+
    MainBoard: Solteck (last chipset via).
    512 DDR(333)
    GF4 TI 4200 64Mg. (290/570)
    CPU Temp: 41 Cº.
    System Temp: 37 Cº.

3DMark:10630 + / -

A questión somebody recomend me to overclock de amd xp 1800+ (1544) to 1700 or similar? I can do it in my mainboard but I don't know if I will improve a lot my performance result, because now it is very pretty.

15. Risifo

Risifo Guest

I just bought a GeForce4 ti4200 128MB and my fps's suck, I have a Via motherboard and a AMD k6 550Mhz processor, I did 3dMark and got 2000!!!!!! I know something is really messed, but what?

16. Risifo

Risifo Guest

HAHAHA, w00t, nm, it was the computer, it SUCKED, heh, i put it in a Athlon XP 1800+, 512MB of Ram, XP, and I got 8520 in 3dMark, and everything runs smooth now :).

17. staticduo

staticduo Guest

AMD k6 550Mhz -> This is the problem.
    Do u have Via 4 in 1 installed?

18. sniggle

sniggle Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780 DirectCU II
    i have the a7a266 and a geforce4 ti 4600 and i only get around 8500 3dmarks. i was wondering if me having a 1.4ghz thunderbird is any kind of bottleneck for me breaking 10,000 3dmarks, or if it might be some other issue. i have done the enablealiagp rivatuner trick and it improved the score from about 6200 to 8500, but it seems that it should be a bit higher than that, seeing as i have the highest end geforce 4. everything is tweaked the way it should be (vsync off, etc etc). any ideas?

19. GeekBoyJOEY

GeekBoyJOEY Guest

You could of bought a Ti4200 and used the money you saved to buy a XP2200+. You would be at 10,000+ 3DMark right now with about $50 extra dollas' in yer pocket...

The GeForce4 cards are CPU dependant to unlock their "FORCE". Hehehe.....

20. GeekBoyJOEY

GeekBoyJOEY Guest

BTW, I use a XP1500+ @ 1700MHz (170MHz FSB) and get 10,600 on 3Dmark with a Chaintech Ti4200 at 311/531...

GF4 Ti 4200, Asus motherboard, PC2700 mem (Samsung) and XP1500+ all for about $480. You paid about $400 for the GF4 Ti1600 by itself!