Guru 3D SLI Users Guide (Part #2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Eventually on a SLI set-up after years of saying i wouldn't, but have run into a small issue already.

The second card i bought was the Asus 970 Strix, which height wise is a good bit higher than the GALAX 970 EXOC, meaning the SLI bridge i have will reach, but not stay in place the second you don't hold it there.

Anyone recommend a good quality long flexible bridge, that is also reasonably priced?

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    swap the card positions no?

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nah, unfortunately there would still be a height discrepancy, so one of the cards just pulls the bridge out of the other when you let go.

This looks decent enough.
    http://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/sli-cable.html

4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Would I be able to SLI my current "MSI GeForce N770 TF 4GD5/OC" with the 2gb version of the same card? I'm really struggling to find a second "N770 4gb" anywhere to buy for some reason :(

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S

I don't know if it works anymore but while it was not recommended from Nvidia you could use two same GPU models (no matter the brand) but their VRAM will sync to lowest available, meaning 2GB will be available for SLI-ing for you. BUT since that was a utility named Coolbits and user could force gpu with more memory to downsize so both would be matched.
    It doesn't work anymore and officially SLI with different amounts of same gpu cards is NOT supported.That means if there is a unofficial tweaking that makes your 4GB card to logically "disable" half of Vram you will have SLI with two 770s 2GB of memory, something that IMO doesn't worth to even speak for.

I don't recommend a second 770.
    Save money and better take one stronger to use as single .

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks for the reply, I managed to find an identical GPU on Ebay for £155 (199 Euros) so hopefully there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, just need to upgrade my PSU now as I have a 600W and I tried a couple of PSU calculator sites and they both say I need 750-780 or so, will buy an 850w

7. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Too much money man, I say again, save money for a 970 at least.

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Naah no point, already have one 770, doesn't make sense to me to spend more than twice as much on a 970 as I paid now for a second 770 which in SLI will beat a 980 in certain games.

9. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Got my "2x MSI Nvidia GTX 770 Gaming 4GB" installed on the MSI 970A Krait SLI edition motherboard, everything is working but after a few minutes of playing I'm getting a loud internal speaker type sound from the motherboard, which is strange because I wasn't aware it had an internal speaker, I can find no settings in the bios about such an alert, nothing in the manual.

If I run kombustor it actually makes the sound the second kombustor starts which makes no sense at all. You can see in the pic the second I've opened Kombustor it's not reporting high temps or anything so I don't understand what the problem is frown emoticon

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Figured it out!

I thought I'd record the sound to add to the post, as I was leaned down with my phone I noticed the UPS was flashing, of course! New higher power supply and SLI = higher power drain, which my old UPS is not rated for, moved my PC plug into a standard socket, tested SLI, no alarm! So now I just need to upgrade my UPS!

11. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Hello Folks =)

It's one of my cards Dying?.. i don't know if it's just me whit this kinda problem..
    when using Nvidia DSR at 4K and 0% Smoothness,And playing GTA V whit reshade / ENB and Riva turner Monitoring overlay!.. after the game start and i have play for a bit the GPU usage at my top card falls down to 50% and my 2th card stay at 80/99% and the lag and stutters are there until i alt tab in and out of the game then the cards jumps up to 99% again and later on the thing happens again and again..and it's just in GTA V i face this issues. And my temps are okay top card never reach 80c and the bottom stays around 60c.
    Have tested everything! i keep a fps between 60 80 in the city area and out side it can go down to 40 / 29 and that's when i play without Reshade / ENB..When i was on a single 980 card i had no problems things seems smoother..i have to mention that i use all settings all ultra and No AA just FXAA! Windows 10

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  12. WinterMagican

WinterMagican Member

GPU:
    Pascal TITAN X 4Way-SLI
    Sli!***12288;iyh!!!

13. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Hello guys,
    I was thinking, playing with DSR very high (5120x2880), if buy another card for SLI 2x980TI 6GB is worth today. I've a single 980TI 6GB MSI Gaming with a Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz cpu and 2560x1440p monitor :)

14. 11111

11111 Guest

GPU:
    16gb DDR3 (2 X 8GB)
    How do you Enable 3-Way SLI on pascal series graphics cards

15. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    New to this forum, but curious what the current state of SLI with G-sync is? Are there known issues or do they work well together? Microstuttering?

Currently I have an ASUS-STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING card with an Acer Predator X34 and was thinking about picking up a second card to give me better performance at 3440x1440 with Ultra settings. Most games will run in the 60-70 range now but I have to turn some things down. G-sync helps but it's no magic bullet.

I used to run dual 670s in SLI and enjoyed the performance benefit (in the few games that supported it). So in summary, wondering if the tech has matured and whether or not SLI plays nice with G-sync. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    G-sync works nice with SLI.
    People who notice microstuttering will see that G-sync eliminates that issue altogether.

17. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    1080 SLI user here with ROG PG348Q, SLI works fine..Smooth in my experience..Will upgrade to 1080Ti SLI when nonFE cards became available in our Country..

18. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Thanks for the input! I just ordered a used STRIX 1080 on Amazon for $500. Hopefully that should hold me over until the next architecture (Volta?).

19. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I received my second 1080 last night and it makes a huge difference but I do detect a slight microstuttering every now and again. It's not bad but definitely perceptible.

Another oddity about adding that second 1080 is I can't overclock my CPU as high. I have a ASUS Z170-A motherboard that automatically overclocks. I'd been running very stable at 4.6GHz with the single 1080 but adding that second one dropped it down to 4.3GHz. I went in to the BIOS to get it back to 4.6GHz but all my games crashed immediately. Even with the lower clock speed on the CPU the second GPU more than makes up for it.

20. AntonP

AntonP Guest

GPU:
    4x GTX1080
    check your power supply