New team member

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by brazen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Hi guys,

Just started building PCs, and so far, I rank this site as one of my favorites. This was also the first time I read about F@H and I think it's a wonderful initiative.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say is that I decided to step up and donate my cycles to the Guru3D team. I'm using the standard Windows client as I need to disable CrossfireX to be able to use the GPU version.

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    good good ever little help with the hardware you have, we could make you a big folder in are team welcome

3. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Welcome!!

I am still pretty new, but helping when I can :D

4. iancook221188

GPU:

5. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is really nice to see you join the F@H team. You have already been mentioned here :)
    AFAIK, there isn't any need to disable XFire to run the F@H GPU Clients (latest). However, for each GPU, you have to install a separate GPU Client for it to fold.
    F@H won't nor will ever support XFire/SLI as it is too slow.
    Since you are using ATI GPUs, you may want to set-up Environment Variables to ensure maximum efficiency: <Click>

6. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Thanks for the welcome.

So which client should I use now, the SMP2/CPU client (FAH6.30-win32-SMP.zip) or the GPU2 client (Folding@home-Win32-GPU-systray-623.msi)?

Will I still be able to completely forget about the client running or should I disable it when gaming? Mind you, I just started out with this and haven't read up on the high-performance clients yet (so, lazy mode on I admit ^^).

7. iancook221188

GPU:
    hey brazen sorry for the confusion you can if you want run both one on the smp/cpu and one on your gpu2/gpu and if you also want you can run anther on the other gpu you have = 3 clint running on your computer

gameing, it up to you again some game can run when folding other not so well

hfm is a little program that can monitor all of them http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/downloads/detail?name=HFM Release 0.5.1.198.msi&can=2&q= (click on the download link)

8. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Hey Ian,

Thanks for the tip on HFM.net. It was quite a shock to find out that the SMP client is command-line client, but I got it working.

So how do I pause this client? Can I just reboot or will I be stuck at the interval I set upon installation (15 minutes).

Shame HFM.net did not come with a manual. Still figuring out as I go, especially the IDs in the Web Settings tab. :(

9. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Console Clients can't be paused, they can only be exited. You can exit the Client before 15 minutes but there might be a possibility that a checkpoint might become corrupted. However, on my system, I have finished 200+ WUs and never had any problems with th checkpoints. Very rarely, if it does fail, it may start either from the last best checkpoint or it may restart the WU from the beginning. Personally, I choose to Crtl+C the command window and wait for ~5 minutes before restarting the system. That way, I ensure that no files were being used by F@H Client when the system reboots.

Regarding the best Client, it is really up to you. If you can fold for >15 hours a day, you may try to run the SMP2 Client. If it is <10 hours a day, multiple instances of Classic Clients may be better for you. Feel free to experiment with both the Clients nd choose the one that is best for you.

If you are running the Classic Client, you need not exit it for games but you must exit the GPU Client before you play games. For the SMP2 Client, I haven't really heard anyone folding and playing games so it is up to you. personally, if the game isn't heavy, you can let it run in the background. Again, it is best to experiment with your setup as results will vary from system to system.

If you have problems with HFM.NET, maybe I can help you with it :)

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    same with me brazen it took me 4 time to get the smp going right and a week with hfm

i should of put the link to the guild that have now been written for both of them (there out there smoe where) sorry lol (help your learn i spoz):thumbup: