Lumia 635 text/SMS issues

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Dec 2, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah, I know. The title is pretty damn vague. I just didn't want to make the title long and drawn out. I'm heading to the T-Mo store later if nobody posts a solution to my issue before they close. So, as for the "issues", here goes....

So, I've got a Nokia Lumia 635. It's an excellent phone. Hands down, the best phone I've ever owned. I've had it for about 2 months now and until about a month ago, I had no issues with it at all that I'm aware of. I'm unsure as to when exactly this issue started, but I have regular issues receiving text/SMS messages. My wife and I have had to resort to using FB Messenger because my phone will randomly miss text/SMS messages. Any messages I send seem to be received just fine. I'm unsure of the frequency at which this happens or whether I'm missing texts from other people. I'm leaning towards this issue being network/SIM card related or even Android itself, but figured I'd post anyway just incase there are others with this or any other, similar, Lumia phones experiencing the same or similar issues.

My reason for thinking it could be Android itself is based on the behavior of my Nexus 4. If I set "Hangouts" as the default messaging app, I can only receive messages sent through "Hangouts" on Android phones. If I set the old messaging app as default, I receive messages from the old app, through the old app and messages sent from "Hangouts" through "Hangouts". I'd hate to think Google has redone the "Hangouts" app in such a way that only others on Android, using the "Hangouts" app, can reliably receive text messages. That would be a bit anti-competitive.....and warrant a complaint with the FTC....

My reason for thinking it could be network/SIM card related is that I had similar issues when I was with Sprint. Their network coverage in my area is almost non-existent, even though their coverage map shows otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Lumia 635 running Android?

It's a Windows Phone 8.1 device isn't it ?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes. The Lumia 635 is a Windows Phone 8.1 device. My wife is using my old Nexus 5, running Lollipop.

I have failed at converting my wife to a better mobile OS....

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right sorry, so you're thinking it might be her phone not sending the texts rather than your 635 not receiving them?

Ive got the Lumia 625, and afaik never miss any texts from anyone, the only thing I can think is if you have enabled the Call&SMS Filter in settings

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As long as my Nexus 4 has an internet connection, it can send and receive texts through the Hangouts app. Because of that, I'm thinking Google did something a bit shady with the Hangouts app.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could it be 3G vs GSM/2G/EDGE or whatever your equivalent is? If there is no 3G/4G connection, is it switching over to the mobile network?

I don't have a droid phone, just WP8.1

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Both the Nexus 5 my wife is using and my Lumia 635 make use of T-Mo's 2G/Edge and 4G/LTE data networks. That doesn't mean the network isn't having an issue relaying messages though.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hmm, difficult to work out which one is at fault, if any (if its the network)

Can only think to test it regularly with another non droid phone by sending texts to the 635 each day and see if all of those get through or not - should be able to narrow it down to being the droid or the WP phone with either a fault or a network fault, then try narrowing it down to either phone or network being at fault

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Guess I'll run down to T-Mo and have a chat with them about it.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No doubt they'll blame anything and everything other than their network lol

Good luck, I see why it's a confusing one

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I decided to add the Hangouts extension to Chrome. Upon opening, it shows ALL of the messages I've missed. Looks like the messages aren't being relayed properly. Upon reading about Hangouts, it appears this is the intended behavior for Hangouts.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's intended behaviour to make you miss messages ? Or is there a setting you can change to force 'push' to the phone?

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Apparently the Hangouts app is only intended to send messages to phones/computers running the Hangouts app.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Guess I need to start working on a way to convert my wife to WP....

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I just went out and bought the gf a Lumia 520, she had no choice lol

She swore blind she didn't want a touchscreen / smartphone

Asked if she wants to give it back and go back to her old phone, NO!

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    After the debacle that was WP7.8, I swore off Windows Phone. After dealing with Samsung's Touchwiz garbage, as well as all the advertisements and tracking that can't be disabled, I got sick of Android. After going back to WP, I remember why I chose it over Android in the first place.....

I figured out the problem, btw. My wife's phone lists me in contacts within Hangouts twice. One for "Hangouts" and one for carrier SMS. It defaults to "Hangouts" for no reason and there's no option at all to change that. It's really stupid and counter-intuitive.... So, the issue wasn't the carrier network afterall. It's Google's insistence on trying to control mobile.... Google is slowly becoming more and more like Apple.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right, so SMS were actually being send to hangouts instead, and you could only pick them up via hangouts itself

Yea that's a pain - can you not rearrange the order by deleting both hangouts and phone contacts, then re-adding them in a different order, so actual phone number / SMS first, then add hangouts to that as a secondary ?

My first Windows phone experience was a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, resistive touchscreen with a little pen, slow PoS but I loved it - then went to a Lumia 710 WP7, upgraded to 7.8, then to a Lumia 520 with WP8 > WP8.1, now to a Lumia 625

Been thinking about getting a Droid for my next phone, WP8.1 is nice but fancy a change

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My guess is that it automatically added the "Hangouts" contact after I texted her from the N4 the first time since the Hangouts app is the the default messaging app on both my N4 and her N5. I switched phones 2-3 weeks ago because we thought there was a problem with one of our phones that turned out to be an issue with our house interfering with the signal from her phone. I'll have to try deleting my number from her contact list tonight. Unfortunately, once a Hangouts contact is added, there appears to be no way to manually remove just the Hangouts contact.

My first Windows phone was a KinTwoM..... Would have been a great phone had MS not gimped it to death. They built a compact smart phone, then locked down the OS so apps couldn't possibly be added just so they could sell it as a "feature phone" that Verizon those to treat as a smart phone.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You can set your default messaging app, or if you want Hangouts to even touch SMS.

There are APN settings you can play with as well.