Lollipop Factory Images for Nexus 5, 6, 7, 10 Now Live!

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Lollipop Factory Images for Nexus 5, 6, 7, 10 Now Live!

[​IMG]

It’s been over a week since Google released the full source code for Android Lollipop. We’ve seen quite a few ports made by the community. However, one thing was still missing: factory images for Nexus 5, 6, 7, and 10. Earlier today, we talked about how the Nexus 7 2012 WiFi images were found a bit early, but the rest were nowhere to be seen.

Finally, after almost two weeks, Google engineers pressed the shiny green button and the factory images are now live. In addition to the factory images, we also have vendor-specific binary files needed to create our favorite custom ROMs. It’s a bit strange to see the release of these factory images come so long after source release, but hopefully they used that time to squash most of the remaining bugs such as the ones affecting the Nexus 5’s battery life.

Let’s stop my story here. You can download the factory images by visiting the Factory Images for Nexus Devices webpage. Binaries can be obtained from this location.

To flash the images, you need to have a working fastboot. Just launch the flash-all.bat on Windows or flash-all.sh on Linux and Mac OS X to flash the kernel, system images, and the rest of the goodies. If you want to prevent yourself from crying over lost data, make sure to backup your data partition or remove the -w operator from the last line of the script.

Source:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lollipop-images-nexus-5-6-7-10-live/

2. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 gamin
    And when nexus will get it OTA?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's also a factory image for the Nexus 4 for those of us that still have one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I just installed Lollipop 5.0.1 + firmware on my HTC One M7. I like it so far....

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My wife hates it on her N5.... She liked it at first, but after some of her apps updated, the phone became unstable. My N4 is doing just fine with it though.

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I got the OTA update on the Nexus 7, it's awful! It runs at about half the speed it used to and crashes a lot. I see they've since pulled the update but it's going on what, a month(?) and still no fix for those that installed it.

I have to say I am not at all impressed with the way Google and/or Asus has handled the situation, just like how they solved the non working touchscreen issue on the 2013 model by doing... nothing!

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Possibly the new forced encryption slowing it down, there is a video/fix here you could try

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/disable-forced-encryption-lollipop-xdatv/?nocache=1

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah... I read the other day about the OTA update for the N5 being pulled. Of course that was after my wife's phone started having problems. Fortunately my N4 has been stable since being flashed. The wife's N5 seemed faster for a couple days, but now seems to lag a bit. My N4, on the other hand, is noticeably faster. My N4 was manually flashed while my wife's N5 got the OTA update.... Considering reflashing her phone manually.

9. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    I got tired of waiting for OTA and manually flashed both gen Nexus 7s and even cleared the cache partitions. The 2012 is more or less the same. The 2013 is crashing quite often to home screen without option to report. Crashes in both Chrome and the 2 games I have installed. I decided to try out the battery saver mode and the constant orange banner on top/bottom is ridiculous. It should only appear once it actually kicks in and not at all times. I'm gonna flash the 2013 back to 4.4.4 tonight.

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the suggestion, though I don't think the encryption is applied to older devices (forgot to mention I've gone back to a 2012 N7 after I had 3 2013 models in a row with unresponsive touchscreen). Besides, I don't particularly want to have to start over on it otherwise I would have flashed 4.4.4 back onto it straightaway!

It's not my main tablet so I'll wait for an OTA fix, it just sucks that Google/Asus obviously have done no testing for themselves and are using customers as guinea pigs.

Also I've discovered that the 2013 model I have sitting here also has a broken rotation sensor, it thinks it is at 45 degrees when sitting straight and simply will not calibrate. I can't believe how bad the build quality of these new tablets is, shocking really.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have the ASUS Transformer, and had exactly the same experience with ASUS OTA updates, they blatantly did no testing whatsoever as the last 5 updates either bricked everyones tab or turned it into a rebooting paperweight, their last OTA update completely cabbaged the tab, then they decided to drop support

Devs at XDA picked up the pieces and fixed everything in a few weeks that ASUS failed to fix in 12 months

Go figure...

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I guess that would explain why the TF I was playing around with recently wouldn't update through the Asus Update app, just as well from the sounds of things! :p

XDA is awesome, I've spent (wasted?) days and days reading through threads on there!

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea if it's working, don't OTA update lol

If you still want to improve it, I highly recommend (Im using) timduru's KatKiss ROM

I run the 4.4.4 version as it is extremely stable and fast, but he has recently started work on Droid 5.0.1, there are ROMs working for the TF, but not up to the same standard as 4.4.4 just yet, but he's an extremely talented dev and should have it up to speed in no time

KitKat
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2592890

Lollipop
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/eee-pad-transformer/development/rom-t2942560

Flash TWRP Recovery 2.8.x.x before flashing ROMs (CWM bricks the TF with modern droid builds)

Gapps link on each ROM thread too, flash after the ROM before rebooting

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Well I actually don't have a TF any more (not a working one anyhow!), I tend to play around with them for a bit then reflash to stock so I can sell them on. I will say this though, the Asus tablets perform really well for the hardware they pack, that is until they get an update that effectively breaks them.

Newer definitely isn't always better!

I kind of prefer smaller tablets too, probably due to my tiny girl hands lol

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Yea I'm amazed at it being able to run the latest Droid builds, and with minimal tweaking too, had to disable Internal Wallpaper Rendering and use a launcher that does the rendering, the new dropdown nav bar layer uses resources the TF doesn't have and made homescreen scrolling very laggy, but adding the option to force the launcher to render wallpaper completely solves it

If your dead TF is just firmware bricked, check out Easyflasher to unbrick
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1688012

My gf bought me an early Xmas pressy of a Win 8.1 tab, just a little 8" cheap thing but I love it, "BUSH MyTablet"

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I have a few busted TF101s atm, could probably make a working one out of the bits! Weird coincidence; for Windows I'm currently messing with a Toshiba Encore 8" Win 8.1 tablet, it's crazy to think how much computing power is in one of these things when I consider the calculator I had at school was just as big and the most it could do was spell 'boobies'.

It's a good point you make; all the newer ROMs seem to be mostly bloatware and graphical effects, maybe lollipop just isn't feasible on older devices. I guess that would mean newer unreleased devices with lollipop installed as standard will be badass on a stripped down firmware.

I might have to bite the bullet and go back to kitkat on the N7 if the next OTA update doesn't do much. I can't say I particularly like the look of lollipop anyway, the new keyboards really are horrible looking imo

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    haha :D BOOBIES and SHELLOIL lol

You should make the TF a little project and see if you can't get one of them working again, they're still great little tabs even compared to todays standard, and having a dock is a nice touch, Ive had mine since release and both batteries are still happy, although I have had the 0% won't charge problem, screwdrivers and little battery switches / patience later, got it charging again

Yea there is something called NEON, I don't really know what it is or does, but without hardware support it causes lag on older devices with new Droid builds, which is why we needed that render workaround to fix it

I tried Lollipop on the TF and didn't really see anything spectacular about it vs KK, but the ROMs are at an early stage and I said the same about KK when I was running JB, and now I wouldn't want to go back to JB

Don't really see the soft keyboard that often having a dock, so not really a show stopper for me, I just like stability and smoothness :)

Oh, and compatibility, not great having a speedy tab if nothing runs lol

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is exactly why I switched from a Galaxy Tab 3 8" to my Encore 2 8" Win8.1 tablet.....

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Almost sure I nearly went for the Encore, can't remember why I changed my mind now, might have been same specs but black bezel, I remember sitting trying to make my mind up between the two

Only issue I have with mine is if you leave the size of everything at default, it's really tiny to press menus and things, and if you make things bigger it complains that the rez is not high enough to open certain apps

Bought a pen for it to try make it easier to press things, but the nib is about the same size as my finger tip anyway lol

[​IMG]

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah, I "fat-finger" mine quite often. Still prefer to have a Windows tablet instead of Android. I like the fact that I can actually use the tablet without having to have an internet connection or being tracked by Google. My only real complaint is the lack of storage space. My tablet only has 32GB of storage space and adding a 32GB memory card didn't really help matters. Fortunately I don't have much software installed yet.