Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So my aunt got a few of these in her email today. By a few, I mean 23. This is just one of them. They all list different works that have been infringed upon. My aunt is 65 years old and can barely operate her iphone, let alone a computer. I think I need to go see her and check if her router is secured.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Interesting. Maybe someone's in her network, sounds like the most logical explanation. Except she shares torrent files while downloading cook books :D

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'll find out when I get over there.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    "Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:"

First flag for me, I would expect her full name if it was from her ISP

Like "Dear Paypal Customer, please log in here or your account will be locked"

URL = Phishing site

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol, they still try and send those out? Pretty hilarious, honestly. There's not even any way to prove that the person at the other end of the IP is the one actually doing the infringement. It's unenforceable, but they try anyway to scare people. I remember when I got one like ten years ago from Sony Entertainment for downloading a PS1 ROM of Twisted Metal 4 from a torrent site. Really? The game had been off shelves for years even then. I had a good laugh over it.

6. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I knew I'd seen that letter format somewhere before. Dug up this article from Torrentfreak, seems its a forwarded letter from a company that uses scare tactics to, well, extort money.

https://torrentfreak.com/comcast-kills-business-model-of-piracy-monitoring-and-settlement-firm-131206/

Besides, the US Federal court has already ruled that, an IP address does not prove online piracy.

US federal judge: IP address not enough to prove someone downloaded pirated movies

Big news: Judge rules that the copyright troll’s complaint does not meet pleading standards

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I removed all relevant info and posted the tl;dr version. It's a legit email.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Reminds me of the road signs here:

The registered owner of the offending vehicle reported as littering just gets a nasty letter in the mail. Nothing beyond that ever happens because there is no way to prove the claims are legitimate nor who was driving.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Just a little update.

Whoever set up her router never put a password on it. I went though the logs and it looks like someone has been connecting to her wifi for almost 6 months. I fixed it and told her not to reply to Comcast about those letters because they can't prove anything.

10. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    And there goes another free wifi signal lost in the sea...

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I guess you figure you can siphon gas if there is no lock on the tank or take a few apples off their tree eh? After all, they didn't secure it.