7900GT repair

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sir Galahad, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I've recently found an old XFX 7900GT which I think would be perfect for my retro rig.
    Only problem is that it is giving me all sorts of artefacts when I try to use it.
    I believe this is due to a missing MLCC (multi-layered ceramic capacitor) on the underside of one of the memory modules.

Here is an example of the artefacts I'm getting:

[​IMG]

It's a real pain as the XFX ones gorgeous looking units and they are hard to come by nowadays:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the missing capacitor, number C545. I've already tried soldering on a 1uF 16V rated capacitor (the only one I had which was vaguely the right size) to no avail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This card is just what I've been looking for and I think it's well worth trying to repair it.
    My soldering skills are just about up to the task but I have no idea what rated capacitor I need to replace it with.
    I'm hoping someone on here might have an idea.
    Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi

I have a similar card the XFX 7950GT, it is an agp card. The one port failed after a few months, and then I got similar issues to what you have. Then the fan on the card packed up. I think the quality of the XFX cards is just crap. I even tried to bake the card, but then one of the memory chips developed a bubble (oven was not even that hot), and I think that was the real fault in the card, poor quality ram

My card came with a lifetime warrantee, but then when I emailed XFX it was stated this only applied to residents of North America (this was never mentioned when I bought the card)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    yep in Europe we pay more and get less

5. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Yep and in South Africa we pay even more and get even less!

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh that is so true.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yeah that may have to do with the fact you live in a third world country where tech hobbies are a huge luxury...