Speakers rated at ~ 55hz - 20khz

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RagDoll_Effect, Apr 1, 2014.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, I'm using some new fronts in a 7.2 channel system. Was wondering if anyone on G3D knows that if they are rated at 55hz~20khz frequency range, I've set the crossover for these fronts to 50hz. If I pump some decent wattage in them, being that their extension is ~55hz, will they get damaged? Now, by decent, I mean about spl of 82db (about 75 watts rms). They are rated at 100 watts nominal and 200 watts max.

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    55hz~20khz at what dB? -3? -6? -10? I'd set a 65 or even 80Hz crossover, since I know that you have a sub.

3. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Thanks Rebel, it doesn't say at what db, however it sounds very good leaving it at 50hz, do you think they could get damaged though? I am running them in and might eventually adjust the crossover to 80hz, see how they go :)

thanks,
    RagDoll.

4. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Only if you give it huge amounts of power at 50Hz. Chances are they are down at least 3dB by 55Hz, and probably at least 6dB by 50Hz. Technically you could feed that speaker a 10Hz signal and it would be fine, as long as you didn't give it very much power.

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, thanks Rebel :) brilliant Guru3d member, cheers :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Ragdoll, the bigger problem will be a dip in your overall frequency response. Even though you might not damage your speakers asking them to play down to 50hz, the fact is that they will be playing those frequencies at a lower volume than they play other freqs. Since the crossover is also filtering out the subs ability to play those same freqs, you end up with a "hole" in your frequency response.

Depending on the driver size of your speakers, I'd agree that moving the crossover up to 80 is probably ideal. That's usually the sweet spot for most sub/mid crossovers anyway. I usually only recommend moving it down to 50 if you have some dedicated midbass drivers and large sub that plays well very low.

See if you can find the frequency response graph for your speakers, they are usually much more telling than just the rating.