What is the name of nVidias next gen card ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hammie, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I heard its called x299 and x399 but Im not sure that's correct. Also when is it going to come out ? late 2017 ? or 2018. Thanks

I want it to come out soo I can get a 1080 at lower price point. Thanks again :banana:

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Volta.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Most likely GTX1150, GTX1160, GTX1170, GTX1180.
    They had the chance to change name with the 10XX series but didnt so why change now.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    GTX 20X0 is more likely. Time has shown that NVidia, AMD, and Intel like the left most number to indicate series, in this case '10'. NVidia's recent history, we had the 'thousands' series, (7800 GTX, 8800 GT, ect), the 'hundreds' series, (GTX 270, GTX 970), and now the 'tens' series (GTX 1080, GTX 3070)

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Wont be long until we have 300100 GTX

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    They would probably recycle the 4 digit and 3 digit scheme over and over. Just speculation, but after the 'tens' are eaten up, maybe 3 digit like this "108" (the One oh Eight), then a four digit, "1008" (the One Hundred Eight). Who knows really, naming schemes get stupid and randomly confusing all the time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Thanks for the replies guys. When is it coming out late 2017 ? Also how much will the 1080 GTX or 1080 Ti drop in price when this new gen nvidia cards come out based on history. So where looking at a name like 1180. Why can't nvidia disclose this information. Thanks again

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Disclosing the name is really inconsequential. Means nothing.
    Disclosing the price and date while they are still selling current hardware would be stupid. They still want you to get the current hardware. Equally stupid would be telling you what the price drop will be from a business perspective.

There is honestly not much we can extrapolate from the past. It depends on variables we have no control over and is impossible to predict. For example, how well current hardware is selling and performs. Competition's (AMD's Vega) new line up price and performance.

For example, when the new NVidia GPU's come out, it is most likely possible that getting a cheaper 1080 will be a bad idea. There will likely be a new GPU (say the 2070) that offers the same performance for at, or around, the same price. That's typical MO.

While a lot of us try to be smart and attempt to avoid purchasing new hardware close to a new series, in the end usually the best mentality is to ignore it. If you want new hardware and you have the money, just get it. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a "I think I'll just wait till X comes out" over and over. Get it, enjoy it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Wish they just could do a clean state and begin with nvidia 1,2,3 etc.
    For some reason i respect brands much more if they just do model 1, 2 and so on.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm lost on what to call the first xbox?

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What will they call Project Scorpio if it comes to fruition? Xbox Three60 or 3Sixty?

It's probably the single most important thing for the future of PC gaming, seeing as games for it will be extremely easily ported to PC. Due to the nature of Scorpio games will be basically already optimised for PC, and any visual enhancements etc can be easily incorporated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017