Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Rich_Guy, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Odd one this, ran this last night, takes a couple of hrs, so left it running and went and done something else while going, came back to check it, and noticed it was saying i had some infected files while it was scanning, so after the scan had finished, i expected it to tell me what they were etc..., but it didn't, i just got the green ticked shield, with the No Malicious Software Found as normal.

Ran my virus checker etc..., and nothing found either, so anyone got a clue whats going on, as surely, if it detected some infected files, it wouldn't have said there was nothing found, when it had completed the scan ? :confused:

It normally just runs when it comes through the windows updates every month, which says once you've rebooted, it'll tell you what its found (if anything), but ive never had that either, so obviously it hasn't find anything, when its ran that way.

Also, anyone know where the log files are located after the scans completed ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    yes the last few versions of Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool have been giving false positives during the scan and then showing nothing when finished.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks for that, so could be false positives (it said about 40), its odd, as i ran the previous one (Novembers), on the Monday night before i got this months on the Tuesday, and that just said none found as well when it had finished (although i didn't notice if it had said there was some infected while scanning, as it had finished by the time i came back to it).

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Knowing MS, it probably flagged it's own Windows system files as malicious lol

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    That'd be right :D, or another attempt to get me onto 10. :p

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you have not turned off Defender/Security Essentials then you should look in its journal.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Resistance is futile! :D

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I havn't turned off Defender, so looked in its history, and its empty, as never had it detect anything, and i can't find a journal, and don't have the Security Essentials.

A Google search told me how to get the mrt.log, so had a look, and they all just read as No Infections Found.

This is the first run of the December one which said it had detected infected files, before Green ticking at the end, with no Malicious Software found.

:D

9. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Giggles...

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I never run it manual seeing it run after it installed anyway if some bad is found a pop/notification would be shown, And I am pretty sure MS has flaged there own stuff countless time before and it i will happen countless times in the feature too.

That is what happen when some of there stuff boardlines malware and viruses

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have never run it manually but let it run as part of the monthly update process. It has never found anything false nor real and certainly doesn't take anywhere near a "couple of hours" to run. It takes less than 10 minutes and the .NET updates take longer than that.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I done a full scan, not quick, which takes no time at all :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    MRT via Windows Update uses the Quick Scan Option. As for time it takes to do a full scan varies due to amount of data on drive.