Team Group Cardea M.2 SSD for Gamers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not necessary to have anything other than thermal pad; it's not conductive.
    It will prevent any shorts.

The stacked chips(cpu/nand) are the tallest things on the PCB so zero chance of having a short anyways.

Constant workloads will easily surpass 65c, they will eventually hit 80-90c where extreme throttling will occur.

62c after a couple mins of benchmarking is pretty high.

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    @wavetrex: it would have probably died anyway at some point in near future. You got the new one I assume so... :)

@Agent-A01:

I am pretty sure every manufacturer does longevity tests and gets "high" temps. They still give you warranty and decide it's fine to have it at those temps. That's all I am saying here. My SSD never goes over ~50C in benchmarks, and never goes over 42C in normal, regular use (benchmarking is not normal regular use). All I have to cool SSD is nothing. :) I have front case intake fan, backcase fan to throw out the air. Both at 5V, so, low rpm. Seems to me that some airflow, and not keeping it (SSD) near something very hot (chipset) is quite enough.

I didn't use or test every SSD, but I never saw one going that high in Desktop PC nor hear anyone complain about it. I would probably RMA the drive that gets that hot and if the new one does the same, I would change brand. But that's just me.
    PS. My room temp is always around 25-26C, in case this means something to someone...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    high speed m2 drives get toasty, dude. youre not gonna tell a forum full of enthusiasts that the manufacturer always knows best haha

when something runs hot...we put heatsinks on it ;)

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Enough said :infinity:

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    You are right. You all know better than people who make those things. Always fix things that work, that's the right moto around here it seems :D :infinity:

6. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    or maybe some dont include heatsinks to cut costs & scale back warranty knowing their products wont last as long as they otherwise should...not because m2 drives running hot isnt a detriment to their lifespan :p

anyway good on teamgroup for including a heatsink...even if it isnt strictly necessary, its a nice thing to have; lower temps on hot chips is ALWAYS a positive thing.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Maybe you should research on why lower heat is better for silicon.

NAND lifespan is dramatically affected by heat.

Obviously you don't understand the fact that manufacturers design stuff to last only until warranty is up.

Who wants to replace their NVMe driver after 3 years because it's finally died from heat exhaustion?

Some people like to baby/get the most out of their hardware..
    Pretty dumb advice coming from you if you ask me.

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Or maybe you just like to project things and jump to conclusions :3eyes: I personally never had an SSD that went over 50ish C on any type of load. So maybe you shouldn't buy SSDs that go over 60C in the first place? :) I mean, if your RAM, that is much faster than SSD, would go over 60C you would be worried right? You might even think of it as faulty, or junk...I would...

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    All NVMe drives are hotter than SSDs, just a fact.

The common 950 Pro idles at 50-60c and easily hits 90c from a 2min benchmark. Of course samsung says it's fine.
    It's not for long term use..

Nobody cares what you personally have/had.
    It's a fact that high performance silicon of any variant usually gets hotter than lower end stuff.

What does RAM have to do with anything?
    Newish RAM doesn't get hot, in fact mine never go over 38c with 1.45v.

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Forgive me if I take samsung's word over yours...Also, no one is forcing you to buy their 950 Pro. There are cooler NVMe drives out there...

...notice the voltage difference between SSD and RAM, and you will know what the next step in SSD evolution will be...

11. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    were you arguing against those of us manually applying thermal adhesive to homemade heatsinks on winbond BH/CH5 chips back when DDR400 ran so hot it burnt out when overclocked, as well? just curious.

12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    ha! you got me :D I did the same thing back then. Never had any of them burn out though o_O they just overclocked better...it's kind of a different scenario. These are SSDs that are running @ stock everything. I am not against having a properly vented case, and that should be enough unless you are running a server...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So your argument is don't buy a hot drive.
    Basically that means buy the slowest of them all when the whole point of NVMe is for enhanced performance over SATA drives.

Tell me why enterprise drives come with heatsinks?

950/960 Pro has the endurance rating and performance for sever applications but they do not come with a heatsink.

Voltage has nothing do with anything.
    There is no correlation between the two.

RAM ICs especially with shrinking node process do not produce much heat.

NAND is completely different, they produce much more heat but most NAND do not produce much heat on their own.
    Stacked NAND inherently product more heat.

NVMe drives use high performance SoCs which get hot without a heatsink.
    Just a fact