Best ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 driver for W7

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dandreye, Jan 9, 2017.

1. dandreye

dandreye Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4k/2GB
    Sorry I implied the differences even between full package and driver only package for the same OS, e.g. here I tried searching for "inf" in the XP ones and got completely different matches:
    https://s30.postimg.org/o0bxk6mu9/image.png

Do you think it's something that DH Mobility Modder tool adds? After applying it to desktop packages I only noticed several mobility entries added into the inf file(s) that I checked for changes, however judging by the time it takes the tool to modify a package (about 2-3 minutes) it must be doing a lot more.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    sorry i had misread your post,
    yeah the differences are kinda weird not really sure what thats about, my only guess is that the setup decompresses a file or something for the main drivers, all the other drivers are for tv out and other related media features .(for the all in wonder cards i am assuming), why its like that i have no idea.

Afaik all the mobility modder does is add the ids to the inf, that is all that is needed for mobile to be supported is an inf edit. why it takes 3 mins? maybe to do with editing the msi files or something, or maybe the program is just slow.

3. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    Absolutely, especially given your usage.

Nevertheless, I still tried to deepen.
    There seems to be these Pentium-Celeron Ms that really won't support PAE.
    But it doesn't make sense that other people with the same microarchiteture stepping and microcode update have no problem at all.

So my vote goes to you running into one of the problems with that gpu. Try nomodeset.

4. dandreye

dandreye Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4k/2GB
    "Date modified" column suggests it touches all .msi and all .inf files and also one .dat and one .ini. Their modding on my X1 took just 47s this time (vs ~180s on T42).

No difference whatsoever I'm afraid... Both PartedMagic and Ubuntu 14.04 behaved exactly the same as before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? The only syslinux.cfg file I can see in Ubuntu 14.04 USB key is under /uui:

# This file was automatically populated by Universal USB Installer - http://www.pendrivelinux.com
    prompt 0
    DEFAULT append

LABEL append
    CONFIG /isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    APPEND /isolinux forcepae -- forcepae nomodeset

In PartedMagic I'm appending it to the following string under "LABEL normal32" in /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg:
    APPEND edd=on vga=normal vmalloc=512MiB forcepae -- forcepae nomodeset

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017

5. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
  6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
  7. dandreye

dandreye Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4k/2GB
    mirh:

> Forcepae text?
    >
    > Perhaps also debug.

Sorry forgot to respond back then: tried the above, no visual diffs noticed. Had to give up as couldn't justify investing time/effort any further (usually I would but on this occasion all I wanted was proper driver and software for this platform to stop crashing, which is now resolved). Thanks for all your assistance so far!

Watcher:

Thanks for your reply. I recall it hanging up hard all of a sudden at some point some time after I installed it, and nothing, even pressing and keeping depressed power button got the laptop out of that state - only disconnecting all power sources did. As a result my personal experience with Zorin OS is somewhat sour now (I suppose that was a bug). I'd still give it a try on VM as you suggested but the CPU is too old and doesn't support some virtualization feature (VT-x or hyperthreading or something).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    That's a super old gpu to run win7... however are you on x86 or x64? As I have been able to use x86 xp driver on 7 for unsupported gpu(s). Including x1950xtx which is a real pain to get working, not to mention the continuous smell of caps in the air/ with caps looking fine... whatever

Anyway yeah this shouldn't be impossible, lmk.

9. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    If you have read the latter half of the thread you'd know we are talking about a Pentium M cpu that barely support-not-support PAE.. Let alone x86-64 (and even if it did, given 2GB is the maximum you can get, you'd really crave that ~17% less RAM usage 32 bit has)..

Anyway, if any, to go back to your point.. The problem with x64 is AGP (and PCI perhaps?) most likely. R580 itself was released around the time of Vista release after all.
    For as much, now I wonder if the same legacy code that in 32bit 10.2 makes the 7500 survive, is also present in 64bit ones. Would be funny to see a 2001 card be 100% "on par" with 2007 ones :) (or is there unofficial support after 10.2?)

EDIT: agp ideas

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  10. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    I can remember not too long ago working on a pentium m laptop with that cpu. Loaded win7 x86 32bit which the cpu is x86... it worked fine but I just installed the driver in device manager and no control center... I bet it performs better without all that extra crap... lightweight driver alone.

Just for fun I'll try this on this ancient laptop I have laying around and report back. I didn't have any issue per say, I'm sure it was a little tricky installing the driver but no biggie... It could even play I think 720p or 1080p video in mpc hc and what not.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

11. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    this would be my suggestion, its what i set my uncle up with on an old OLD pentium 4 system(first gen with HT) it works alot better then windows ever did on that thing...the linux drivers for those older cards are alot better then the windows drivers...

note: in no linux fanboi...i find a huge % of the linux community infuriating... ;)

portius is light weight and slack based, can be run off the flash drive or installed, the next up would be Vector linux if you want something a bit more complete that will still run pretty damn well on old ass hardware...

they are both slackware based, meaning they are a much more unix like linux then for example debian/ubuntu based distros..

the best thing about this distro other then how well it runs is...even from an older flash drive or optical drive it boots pretty fast and is very fast/easy to install and update,