[WIP] ATX PSU Maximum Combined 12v Ratings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Nov 30, 2006.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    HI Makalu,

I see that both the Corsair HX650 and ANtec TP new 650 are Seasonic OEM based. Is it safe to assume the quality of both PSU's are close?

Cheers

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah that's right

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    same goes for the other variants right? say I decide to go for the 750w version? the Antecs are cheaper here and I think I urgently need to replace my PSU as its already old and I want to push my OC which I dont think is possible with my current PSU.

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah the quality is comparable...but I doubt your current PSU would limit your OC...just a heavy load is all.

5. Radozda

Radozda Guest

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    I have PSU glaciapower gpal550w but my com is freezingo durig gameplay
    i have ati 5850, are the amps to low?

6. darren-chen

darren-chen Guest

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well it's a common misunderstanding about GPU power recommendations...when they say a GTX280 needs a 550W PSU with 12V@40A they are talking about the power needed for the complete system with a decent amount of overhead included.

A GTX280 by itself only consumes about 180W which works out to about 12V@15A (A GPU that consumed 40A...480W...would need three or four PCIe connectors and a huge heatsink and fan) but anyway it's only about 15A and some of that is provided by the PCIe slot. So the two external connectors only need to provide about 130W maybe I would guess...say 4A thru the 6-pin and 7A thru the 8-pin and another 4A thru the slot. That's 11A so even if the two connectors are both on one "18A rail" it's no problem.

hope that explains it...if not i'll try again later after i wake up lol :)

7. dagwoood

dagwoood Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512mb
    Is this thread still being updated? I noticed Makalu hasn't been active for a while :(

I've come across a PSU that isn't on the list and was about to post the specs for it when I noticed that this thread hasn't seen any activity for a while.

8. Anirsos

Anirsos Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 MSI GAMING
    Is the NitroX SL 750 good? I have it and I don't know if it's good. I have already used it for 4 months.