PCI gfx card capable of running at 3.57MHz on PCI bus

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by trodas, Sep 6, 2015.

1. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9100 250/200MHz
    Guys, I understand, that this is "slightly extreme", but maybe I can find someone who "was there before" and could give me some info, as to witch graphic card I should be using on Socket 7 (that means Pentium 1, no MMX) mainboard with PCI slots.
    For example GF 2 MX400 refuse to even post...

I use S3 Trio64 (v1), yet the display is trashed a lot:

[​IMG]

The reason is simple - it is running at 3.57MHz PCI bus clock. And I'm not kidding. Asus TXP4-X mainboard use ICS 9169 PLL chip. That chip can be tricked to FSB clock reference / 2. Reference clock being 14.31818MHz, witch give 7.14MHz FSB. This is not that big problem for some CPU's (AMD K5 PR75 refuse to post, BTW), however the PCI clock is, in this case, reference / 4 = 3,579545MHz.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not:
    [​IMG]
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000919074447/http://www.icst.com/pdf/9169c-27.pdf

So I would like to have a graphic card, that can work w/o the trashing of the display, as shown above, in 1024x768 resolution and at least 256 colors, so the background is "visible."

It does work just fine in VGA mode, but WinXP have a support for S3 Trio64 build-in and enforce me to 800x600 with 16bit and that it is. No way to change resolution or even depth of the display (only v1 Trio64 + 1MB ram installed only).

So, can someone suggest a graphic card, capable of showing nicer graphics at 3.57MHz PCI bus clock? :p I know that this is kinda extreme, but any help could come handy :p

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Geez, that screenshot gives me a headache

3. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Try CRU and mess with the timings.

4. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Extraordinary - then try the vid, it might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsA0UtOXP_o :)

seaplane pilot - well, I did not need to tweak the output settings. I need to choose graphic cards, that will work :) ...or disable it and enjoy VGA mode only :)

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    58Mhz CPU and 256MB RAM?

No, it didn't help, I've never seen a PC count RAM at POST for about 15 years

6. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Do you mean 35.7Mhz PCI bus?

"Either synchronous(CPU/2) or
    asynchronous (32 MHz) PCI bus operation can be selected
    by latching data on the BSEL input".

7. Try picking up some Matrox G400 or Voodoo2

8. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    cyclone3d - no, I mean 3.57MHz only. Not 35.7MHz. See the table, the PCI clock is the REF/4 clock. The REF is reference clock and that it 14.318MHz...

Ferrum Master - good idea. But... Good news! I get from friend a ATI Rage XL PCI card. A old, 8MB videoram suxxka, but even in VGA mode it offer 1024x768...! So now I can try, if I will have accelerated graphics at 10.7MHz...! Looks good, is not it?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So the problem is solved - ATI Rage XL does the job for me. Tough I"m very curious, as why/how S3 Trio64 make the board works fine at 83MHz FSB (41.7MHz PCI clock), but when using ATI Rage XL I have to downclock to 75MHz FSB. But that give me a reason to perform the BSEL = 0 mod to get the card working at 83MHz FSB for SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED :)

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's full post testing, it's not counting the RAM it's doing a very basic memory test on it. Later on this was skipped unless you wanted to do a full post test (longer startup time), but of course these days basically all the checks are skipped entirely. If the PC starts it starts, if it doesn't, hit the CMOS clear button etc! (maybe too tight of overclock settings). Of course, the computer still does some checking, it just doesn't stop the computer whilst it does them. All the monitoring etc is still done of fans, temps, voltages etc, something that the older computers didn't do. RAM 'rarely' fails, but if it does the quick POST test is next to useless anyway, a full test is much more through (understatement!), which is why things like Memtest takes considerable time. I believe even now ideally with Memtest you run both variations to make sure as they can show differing results (there's the original Memtest86, still being updated), and Memtest86+, an offshoot of an earlier Memtest86. They are different enough now that they may have different results. Even if they don't (despite the testing being different I believe), least running both is peace of mind either way.