Help. Trying to oc a 8800gtx with rivatuner

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by RugBurns, Jun 24, 2007.

1. RugBurns

RugBurns Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    I read that rivatuner was the one to use to oc my vcard so I gave it a shot but..
    Here's my problem, when I adjust my core clock,even a little(6-8mhz), with rivatuner 2.01, run my first benchmark,3dm2k5, it crashes. Same with Aquamark. Running the 158.22 in XP..
    It just occurs when oc'ing the vcard. My top 3dm2k5 score is 19970 without oc'n the vcard, just the system.
    You think I'd get a little oc out of this Evga.
    I'm probably missing something.

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Why would you miss something? Be glad you don't have to downclock the card to be crash free, as it happened for me with a Gainward once.
    Every card is different and this round your gambling didn't payed off.
    If you really want to o/c it's easier to get another card, or start do some heavy customized water rigs :)

3. RugBurns

RugBurns Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Cuz I'm a newb at oc'ing a vcard..
    It's funny that the least increase of core would cause the bench to crash. I could understand if it was a hefty increase but 6 mhz'?
    Would it matter if the rest of the system is oc'd?

4. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    In theory no but in practice it depends. If you have a core that doesn't want o/c past a point you still can get it past if 1) increase voltage or 2) decrease temp.
    in your case perhaps the cards need more cooling, and less o/c in the system can provide that (I for one doubt it will have any difference but you can try).

5. RugBurns

RugBurns Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Thanks for your help.
    I tried another program to oc the 8800 and it worked.. Highest I reached was 640/945 for my best scores in 3dm2k5.. Which is ok.. Better than what I thought my card was able to achieve.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Overclocking in all NVIDIA tools is done by ForceWare drivers. The tool you use to change clocks is just a GUI and it us not affecting max reachable clock, because clock changes are handled by ForceWare in any case. Seems like RT is just too complex for you and messed some other setting inside it. I'm glad that you found something simplier.

7. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

Why would you care to overclock your GTX at all? Are you not satisfied with the level of performance it boasts at the default clocks? Or is it simply down to curiousity?

8. RugBurns

RugBurns Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    My op, "I must be missing something"..
    That's why I posted in this board.. Maybe for some help on pointing out a potential setting that I might have "messed"??:eyes:
    Seeing that you are the creator of Rivatuner,, what setting could I have missed that would cause the problem? I read that rt is the best that's why I tried it first.

Yes, curiousity is why I'm oc'n the card. I was setting out to go over 20000 in 2k5.. I was getting close, 19730 without the oc on the vcard..

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nobody besides you knows what exactly have you messed. Keeping in memory your past attempts to get fan control working by blindly editing PowerUser stuff, that can be messed PowerUser settings, or you could scompare setting clocks with a tool with disabled stress-testing in driver (which is enabled in RT by default), etc. etc.
    And to be honest, educating users in the forum is not my area of interest. It is a bit expensive in terms of free time, I'd better invest it in into working with beta-testers team and preparing new version for launch. So simply use that other tool, which is easier to use for you.