Several files are being created during video capture

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Octopuss, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I just started trying the application out, only for video capturing purpose. So far so good, but there seems to be a bug of some sort. I play fullscreen, and if I alt tab out of the game and back, new file is created. If I do it several times, it becomes a mess. If I don't switch at all, the result is one big file as expected.

Is this working as intended or a bug?

2. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Anytime you alt-tab out of game it will create a new file, because it is direct screen capture. So, anytime you take what your capturing of the screen it will stop the recording and resume a new file when back in full screen. There was a thread someone opened up about the same issue.

I am sure Unwinder can give a more specific technical explanation, but that is a simplified explanation as I am a simple man. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ah! That makes sense put this way.

To add to my own confusion, I tried later on and no additional files were created no matter what I did, lol.
    Anyway, awesome application for this purpose - I had like 30% FPS drop with Fraps, and with Afterburner I can play at maximum performance. Perfect.

I do have another question though. Is there any point in using MJPG compression when I intend to upload the video to Youtube, meaning I need to convert it to x264 anyway?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Actually it is incorrect, sorry. Alt-tabbing is not supposed to start new recording. There is only one condition when new recording is being automatically started: when video stream parameters change (e.g. display resolution is being changed from game, or you switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, or you change video related settings (e.g. framerate) in videocapture tab of Afterburner during capturing a video.

5. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Thanks for clarifying, good to know.