Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

Old
  (#251)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI Geforce GTX 1080
Processor: I7 3770K
Mainboard: ASrock Z77 Extreme3
Memory: 16GB corsair DDR 3
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Corsair 1k Watt
Default 08-20-2013, 13:30 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krteq View Post
Hi Wagnard, tried your uninstaller v.5.1.1 yesterday during Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 upgrade (unable to update driver via CIM directly, some errors occured) without any issue and with great results .

Great tool, keep up the good work mate
Eh. did you mean you had problem before and now after using DDU its fixed?

Old
  (#252)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
Processor: Intel E2180 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock
Memory: 3GB DDR2
Soundcard:
PSU: 450 Watt Power Supply
Default 08-20-2013, 14:31 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagnard View Post
Eh. did you mean you had problem before and now after using DDU its fixed?
I think he meant it resolved the issues he was having after using DDU.

Other Thoughts

While the cleaner works as it should, it's missing a cleaning path in which the
driver version also gets removed. This is necessary because an existing driver version left behind by a previous uninstall can cause users to not be able to re-install the same driver. Therefore they would either have to upgrade or downgrade their driver.

Old
  (#253)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 14:35 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellon132 View Post
I think he meant it resolved the issues he was having after using DDU.

Other Thoughts

While the cleaner works as it should, it's missing a cleaning path in which the
driver version also gets removed. This is necessary because an existing driver version left behind by a previous uninstall can cause users to not be able to re-install the same driver. Therefore they would either have to upgrade or downgrade their driver.
Cleaning path? more details please.
I dont know where is this existing driver version left you are talking about and never had a problem reinstalling the same driver over and over after using DDU.
Care to explain and point me to the right direction ?

Last edited by Wagnard; 08-20-2013 at 14:38.

Old
  (#254)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 08-20-2013, 14:43 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
Cleaning path? more details please.
Yes, sometimes driver installation gets broken in which it displays the following error "Driver Install: the installation failed." This is due to the driver version not being cleaned therefore the driver install fails. The only way to get around it is either by changeing the driver version or through removal which I am currently not aware of so I can't quite say where you should look.

Old
  (#255)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 14:44 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Yes, sometimes driver installation gets broken in which it displays the following error "Driver Install: the installation failed." This is due to the driver version not being cleaned therefore the driver install fails. The only way to get around it is either by changeing the driver version or through removal which I am currently unaware of.
It does not get broken after using DDU right?

Normally DDU should remove any trace of earlier driver.

Old
  (#256)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 08-20-2013, 14:47 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
It does not get broken after using DDU right?
Of course not, it was mention to further the cleaning process of DDU so Users can have a better experience when installing their Graphic Driver.

Last edited by dellon132; 08-20-2013 at 14:56.

Old
  (#257)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 14:50 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Of course not, it was mention to further the cleaning process of DDU so Users can have a better experience when installing their Graphic Driver.
I would have to find this missing part. But it may be quite hard as the issue is pretty vague.

DO you known when this issue arise if the Catalyst install manager show that an earlier version was there?
if so I may have a little idea of what can be clean to remove this.

Old
  (#258)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 08-20-2013, 14:56 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
I would have to find this missing part. But it may be quite hard as the issue is pretty vague.

DO you known when this issue arise if the Catalyst install manager show that an earlier version was there?
if so I may have a little idea of what can be clean to remove this.
Here, is another piece of info. Installing the driver through device manger then removing again through device manger resolves the the issue.

Old
  (#259)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 14:57 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

SO it seem its the AMD installation software that is picky about it...
Is this a problem you known how to reproduce? so I can test on my system.

Old
  (#260)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD4850 1GB
Processor: Intel quad Q9550 3.407Mhz
Mainboard: AsusP5QL-Pro OS: Win7 64b
Memory: 8 Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD
PSU: 650 W
Default 08-20-2013, 15:01 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:

Other Thoughts

.......because an existing driver version left behind by a previous uninstall can cause users to not be able to re-install the same driver. Therefore they would either have to upgrade or downgrade their driver.
This is a right thought dellon.....something like that happened to me when installing for the first time the hdmi driver (do you remenber the .7702 that gives the sound tab in CCC ??) in kevs 13.1 R......the system prevented his installation because existing same driver version left behind (and even broken) in a previous uninstall.

EDIT: right dellon, now I remember, even for me there was the following error "Driver Install: the installation failed." poped up after installation failer.

Last edited by Joe 69; 08-20-2013 at 15:06.

Old
  (#261)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 08-20-2013, 15:12 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
This bug happens from time to time so I don't have a method to recreate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 69 View Post
This is a right thought dellon.....something like that happened to me when installing for the first time the hdmi driver (do you remenber the .7702 that gives the sound tab in CCC ??) in kevs 13.1 R......the system prevented his installation because existing same driver version left behind (and even broken) in a previous uninstall.
Yea I did remember that. Actually I'm going to recommend something else users that do experience this bug should not change the version as an attempt to re-install a driver that throws out this error as it can lead to system instability in which Users may experience application crashes in which Catalyst Control Center becomes none functional and also possibly lead to other bugs. (Flash Player Crashes)

The best thing you can do to get rid of the bug is by installing the driver Through device manager then uninstalling and deleting it through device manager. After that you can proceed as you did before.

Old
  (#262)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 15:14 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:
I think it's difficult to riproduce because it may be caused by a rare random corruption of the driver in uninstall phase or previusly the uninstall........so amd's uninstaller leaves something behind.

Last edited by Joe 69; 08-20-2013 at 17:12.

Old
  (#263)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 15:15 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:

Yea I did remember that. Actually I'm going to recommend something else users that do experience this bug should not change the version as an attempt to re-install a driver that throws out this error as it can lead to system instability in which Users may experience application crashes in which Catalyst Control Center becomes none functional and also possibly to other bugs.

The best thing you can do to get rid of the bug is by installing the driver Through device manager then uninstalling and deleting it through device manager. After that you can proceed as you did before.
If you guys ever find a way to reproduce this, keep me informed as I cant really fix something I cant test after... But I do have some idea that I will try to put inside DDU. so if you encounter a user having the same problem and DDU fix it, tell me.

Last edited by Wagnard; 08-20-2013 at 15:17.

Old
  (#264)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 15:27 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:

Yep, that's how I did.......and I had it again on without problems.....
....this can happen for all the newbies that don't Know the importance of clean install....even amd said that a new driver can be installed above an older and after some years these guys may have tons of drivers in driver-store and if one of these will have an not known corruption (but it will come out with sfc/scannow) this will block a future installation of the same corrupted driver.

Old
  (#265)
dellon132
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 08-20-2013, 16:01 | posts: 1,898

Quote:
If you guys ever find a way to reproduce this, keep me informed as I cant really fix something I cant test after... But I do have some idea that I will try to put inside DDU. so if you encounter a user having the same problem and DDU fix it, tell me.
Yea if I do come across method to replicate the bug I will post it. Also another way of knowing whether or not the bug exist is by installing another driver as the bug will also affect drivers that uses files that are similar.

Quote:
Yep, that's how I did.......and I had it again on without problems.....
....this can happen for all the newbies that don't Know the importance of clean install....even amd said that a new driver can be installed above an older and after some years these guys may have tons of drivers in driver-store and if one of these will have an not known corruption (but it will come out with sfc/scannow) this will block a future installation of the same corrupted driver.
Hmm, I've seen this command posted in countless forums but I never actually tried it as there was never a need too. But I will give it try to see how powerful it actually is.

Old
  (#266)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 16:07 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:
wagnard, you said that DDU will make a complete delete of all amd/nvidia drivers in driver-store so system will be clean like first install of OS, but, if I understand, we are talking about not corrupted drivers.

I think you have to consider these two scenario, suppose that:

1. after pevious uninstall (not using your DDU) something goes wrong so theres stuff in driver-store or oems left, ecc so the system still detects the driver on but considers it corrupted

2. you have a corrupted driver on (corruption depends by some other reason)

so sometimes, in these cases, you can't uninstall it and can't even reinstall it above to fix it.....you are blocked and when this happens sometimes it will be detected and not fixed with sfc/scannow (once I fixed it using 4 times ScanDisk maybe because it was not so damaged).

I don't know how to riproduce a situation that can corrupt a driver but I think that the question is: can DDU delete totaly from the system corrupted drivers ??

Last edited by Joe 69; 08-20-2013 at 16:50.

Old
  (#267)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 16:11 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
wagnard, you said that DDU will make a complete delete of all amd/nvidia drivers in driver-store so system will be clean like first install of OS, but, if I understand, we are talking about not corrupted drivers.

I think you have to consider these two scenario, suppose that:

1. after pevious uninstall (not using your DDU) something goes wrong so theres stuff in driver-store or oems left, ecc so the system still detects the driver on but considers it corrupted

2. you have a corrupted driver on (corruption depends by some other reason)

so sometimes, in these cases, you can't uninstall it and can't even reinstall it above to fix it.....you are blocked and when this happens sometimes it will be detected and not fixed with sfc/scannow (once a fixed it using 4 times ScanDisk maybe because it was not so damaged).

I don't know how to riproduce a situation that can corrupt a driver but I think that the question is: can DDU delete totaly from the system corrupted drivers ??
I dont think its related to the driver store. Its more some important reg-entry that were not removed.

DDU isnt perfect yet too. There are some real deep reg entry that are not remove and I must test before removing as I dont want to break something important.

Technically yes. I must find what is the regkey that make The Catalyst installer unhappy.

Old
  (#268)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 16:34 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:

Hmm, I've seen this command posted in countless forums but I never actually tried it as there was never a need too. But I will give it try to see how powerful it actually is.
I'm not 100% sure, but I read time ago that when a driver is installed it's considered a resorce of the system and will be protected by the system by itself. When having a corruption it will be detected with sfc/scannow (protection system resource pops on) and the system will go in auto-protection blocking the driver that is corrupted so it can't be reinstalled again (I think this is made for virus protection).
Sometimes sfc/scannow will fix the corruption by itself (even using it more than once) and sometimes not.
Sometimes using ScanDisk ( even here more than once) will even solve the corruption......

Old
  (#269)
The Mac
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
Processor: i7-4970K
Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Memory: Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corasir AX750
Default 08-20-2013, 16:45 | posts: 4,407 | Location: USA

sfc = system File Checker.

It compares the hash of each system file to a database and replaces any out of spec files with the originals.

its been around since xp.

It will not help with outside vender drivers unless they tie into windows system files.

Old
  (#270)
Espionage724

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 08-20-2013, 17:00 | posts: n/a

Hmm, so I had a Switchable Graphics menu with 13.8 beta 1 drivers after a fresh Win7 install. Decided to uninstall the drivers (Express Remove via CIM, then this uninstaller) and install 13.8 beta 2 drivers. Had no Switchable Graphics menu.

Reverted back to beta 1 via similar process (Express Remove via CIM, this uninstaller, CCleaner + CCEnhancer), and still have no Switchable graphics menu.

Any ideas?

Old
  (#271)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 17:01 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac View Post
sfc = system File Checker.

It compares the hash of each system file to a database and replaces any out of spec files with the originals.

its been around since xp.

It will not help with outside vender drivers unless they tie into windows system files.
A driver, even if outside vender, goes in C\windows\winsxs and when something goes damaged here it will be detected by sfc/scannow and protection system resource will pop on.....I think that in xp you are right, but for vista/7 they include all drivers ( even outside vender) and consider them a resorce of the system (sorry, but I'm not sure and I don't remenber the link were I read these things)

Last edited by Joe 69; 08-20-2013 at 17:09.

Old
  (#272)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 17:15 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
Hmm, so I had a Switchable Graphics menu with 13.8 beta 1 drivers after a fresh Win7 install. Decided to uninstall the drivers (Express Remove via CIM, then this uninstaller) and install 13.8 beta 2 drivers. Had no Switchable Graphics menu.

Reverted back to beta 1 via similar process (Express Remove via CIM, this uninstaller, CCleaner + CCEnhancer), and still have no Switchable graphics menu.

Any ideas?
Is this on a laptop?

Old
  (#273)
Joe 69
Master Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 17:16 | posts: 213 | Location: Salerno -Italy-

Quote:

DDU isnt perfect yet too. There are some real deep reg entry that are not remove and I must test before removing as I dont want to break something important.
well......it's just now better then others......don't give up.

Old
  (#274)
Espionage724

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 08-20-2013, 17:23 | posts: n/a

Quote:
Is this on a laptop?
Yep (Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419)

Old
  (#275)
Wagnard
Maha Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 17:25 | posts: 2,389 | Location: ****l (Qc) , Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
Yep (Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419)
-Ok download the official driver for your laptop on acer website .
-Use DDU to remove the current driver
-Install the acer driver.

Check if your menu is back.