Afterburner 4.3.0 Final prevents GPU downclock

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by christal, Oct 29, 2016.

1. christal

christal Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Hi guys,

I want to share with you my brief and controversial experience with Afterburner 4.0.3 Final.
    When active, the software holds my GTX 1080 GPU at 1685Mhz while idle, which results in higher temps, fan wear and so on. Doesn`t make sense to me. The previous beta versions kept it down to 215 Mhz, bur now they are nowhere to be found.

Can somebody post a link to Afterburner 4.3.0 Beta 14, please?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    99.9999% sure it won't be Afterburner causing it

Reinstalled GPU drivers using DDU first?

3. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    And check for any active 3D processes.

4. christal

christal Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Hi,

just installed the new 375.70 drivers, cleaned with the latest DDU and the issue is gone for now.

Thank you.

You can also experiment a little, open Firefox or another browser with hardware acceleration and watch the GPU clock. Then turn off hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling and look again. In both cases the GPU has to downclock itself, even the previous generations.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're misunderstanding fundamental thing: downclocking and dynamic clock frequency adjustment is NOT performed inside MSI AB.

6. christal

christal Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Yes, the VGA BIOS and the graphics driver take care of that. Thank you, Unwinder.

Actually, only after the third reinstall things are OK. Come to think of it, I didn`t use the latest DDU last time, so not sure if it supported the graphics driver and probably messed things up.