Thinking about an Adata SU800 SSD?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by AntiSnipe, May 20, 2017.

1. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    PSA: Stop thinking about it and look at a Crucial MX300 or Samsung 850 EVO instead if you're looking for an 'affordable' SSD.

When I bought my Adata SU800 256 GB, they were $69 US and the others were $99+ so I thought, hey, it will still be much faster than my mechanical drive...and it was. The problem is it only worked for 4 months, and about 1.7 TB total data written and then failed completely. I went to boot up the other morning and it was totally dead, gone, nothing, nadda. Can't even be seen in the BIOS anymore.

Upon going back and reading the Amazon reviews filtered to negative reviews, I found a LOT of folks saying the same thing happened to theirs, most in the same ~4 month time frame. I am thinking they are using some weak components in them that are prone to die young and not that I just got unlucky and got the one in a thousand "bad" one.

Anyway, the price of these SSDs has risen to about the same as the Crucial or Samsung models so there is no reason at all to consider them now.

2. rickyboy

rickyboy Guest

GPU:
    ventus 3090
    did you update the firmware? cause when I did had the same thing happen, they sent me a new one and I did not update this one lol

3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Actually, I did a little over a month before it failed. Firmware Q0125A. Weird that that would have anything to do with it considering it was fine for a month, but now I wonder if I should update the RMA when it comes in, if it is not already updated.

How long was yours 'good' after the firmware update?

4. rickyboy

rickyboy Guest

GPU:
    ventus 3090
    sorry it took a while.....2 days then said it had 1mb of space in windows but bios didn't even see it...rma got brand new one, didn't update obviously....

5. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Thanks. I was curious if it failed immediately after or not. I think I will do the same and just leave my replacement at whatever firmware it comes with and hope this one holds up better. Updating the firmware last time did not fix or improve anything noticeable. If they are getting high fail rates/RMAs hopefully they have already done a rev. 2 or something to fix the problem.

When mine died it was total, Windows (installed on the SSD) would not even try to boot, of course, and Linux (installed on a different HDD) displayed some error messages about it while booting but the drive was not visible in any way once in Linux, or from the BIOS.

EDIT: The RMA came back. Only took 6 days round trip, so that is pretty good. The new one already has the updated firmware, so we'll just have to see how this one holds up...

EDIT: 03 Sept 2017 - Three Months and three+ TB of data use and the replacement (Firmware Q0125A) is still working fine. Still don't quite trust it, but so far so good.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017