3770k Discussion thread - Heat Posible improvement!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Bloodduty, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    Right this one is a good one but will void the warranty

I cut off the little heat sink off the CPU with a scalpel and under it was what I would call a biscuit for paste absolute rubbish

Photo is going up the night

After testing some paste i got the temps on stock to min 18oC to 20oC and max 46oC to 47oC not sure an the ambient

Before I did this, I was getting min of 32oC to 34oC and a max of 63oC to 66oC

Have to say it was worth voiding that CPU

Photos and more info ill put up to night as i am at work lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice one. I have one to do myself but haven't actually put the system together yet.

What paste are you using as replacement? I'm going to go with the liquid metal TIM.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Dont use it on the CPU die unless you want it to blow up. Use Prolimatech pk-1 or gelid gc extreme

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Are you sure? I'm certain I read others using it and getting great results.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Be careful not to cut too deep. :)

[​IMG]

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The pic below is 3770k with the IHS taken off. I took mine off and replaced it with PK-3 and hot glued the IHS back on. It cut my load temps almost in half. I personally wouldn't use the Liquid Metal TIM directly on the CPU die because it's electrically conductive. I do know people that use it and have no problems, but there will always be that chance something might happen vs a TIM that's non conductive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The top of the CPU die is a non conductive coating isn't it?

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Ouch!

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    That's not a 3770. But yeah ouch indeed!

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm not sure on that.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I assume they mean in case it gets spread too much and on to other parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    The liquid metal would seem the best option but with the melting process i've always been put off, but yeah how the hell do we put it back on (doesn't the mobo cpu lever keep it in place?), do we need to glue it back on like PhazeDelta1 done?
    Also wth that pic in spoiler is an instant put off, the components are so close to edge! -edit that's not an ivy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The die is tiny in surface area compared to the actual socket size. Very little chance of that I would have thought.

Also having already experienced using it, it spreads very thinly and I didn't see any excessive creep on to other areas.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No you dont need to glue it back on. It just makes it easier when you install the cpu into the mobo.

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Cheers, kinda wishing i had done this sooner now, once i get another heatsink cooler i'll be set.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There's a video on YT that shows how to remove the IHS and all that. If I come across it again, ill post it.

forgot I had that video saved

http://youtu.be/XXs0I5kuoX4

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah, unless you are very clumsy, it's unlikely to spread on to other components. It's probably not as fiddly as screwing on a heatsink can be at times.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I see that Liquid Metal TIM as a hassle to use. First of all, it's most probably Gallium based, so it leeches into metals, even copper, and it will be harder to remove as time passes. As I have read, it makes your cooler either perform worse with another application (if done improperly), or perform worse with other thermal pastes (which sounds logical as there are now two thermal interfaces between the heatsink and the chip). Now you're applying it to the CPU die, but what if you need to reapply or change pastes? I'm not saying that it WILL give worse performance, but it might.

Plus, it's electrically conductive, so if you do make a mistake and get it somewhere it shouldn't be, it would give you quite some trouble to remove it.

Third of all, if it comes into contact with Aluminum, it attacks it (eats it up). The CPU die under the IHS is not copper, and I reallly hope it's not Aluminum in case some unlucky fellow used that Liquid Metal in there and watched his CPU die being eaten up :D

And for what? A couple degrees difference (3 at the most), you get a syringe which barely gives a couple of applications, needs more precision than others, is risky, and bonds permanently with the cooler (CPU die in your case).

There may be undesirable effects as time passes, if the CPU die is not as shielded well with the used metal. The IHS is there to protect that chip. It certainly doesn't provide more surface area for heat dissipation, as most of the heat transfer occurs across the area of the IHS in direct contact with the CPU die.

I recommend you just go for Arctic MX4 or any thermal paste that you deem appropriate and has good enough performance for your application. Non-metal, non-conductive, spreads well, inexpensive, 4g and 20g tubes, no cure time, no need for reapplication every once in a while, easy to remove, etc...it certainly gives me peace of mind... I use it on everything (CPUs, GPUs, laptop CPUs & GPUs, netbooks, maybe my phone as well ;))