riva tuner fan speed control; fixed or adjustable rpm?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by MicoMaco, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MicoMaco

MicoMaco New Member

GPU:
    xfx 9800gtx 512 mb
    Hello there!

Does anyone know if Riva Tuner fan speed control sets the fixed rpm of the fans it controls or adjusts the rpm of the fans according to the temperature of vga. My assumption is that it sets the fixed rpm speeds, at least that were my thoughts when I heard the sound levels the fans produced at the Windows startup (I set my riva tuner to start with windows). If that is true... hmm, than it's just too bad.

Regards, Marjan

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Im not 100% sure of what ur saying (my bad english xP)

but rivatuner puts the speed you setup ALWAYS, it doesnt care about temperatures (altho there is a configurable auto option i think)

Anyways you can make rules in the launcher, so when temperature its less than 60º, load 60% speed, higher than 60º, load 100% speed, when less than 40º load 30% speed etc...

3. MicoMaco

MicoMaco New Member

GPU:
    xfx 9800gtx 512 mb
    Thx man, I'll try to play with a launcher when I get back home.

4. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

As I understand it, this is mostly correct. Telling RT to control the vga fan and making some speed profiles, such as 80% or 60% and then telling the launcher or scheduler to put them into action works fine. You can set RT to start fans at a certain %. But, I believe that if your card's algorithm for cooling is not disabled, and you reach it's settings, then the card does it's own thing.

For example, I have an 8800gtx. It runs at 60% normally. It's thermal algorithm says that until temps reach like 85c or so, not to speed up fans. After it reaches that point, it handles the fan speed linearlly according to it's algorithm. So my fan profiles I use are never over-ridden by the cards settings because my scheme is targeted to turn fans on 100% at 70c, and it never really climbs above that.

I also have a little shuttle box with an xt800 in it, and because of the case, gets pretty warm. So in this case the cards alogrithm keeps taking over my cooling scheme. I cannot remember what the setting is off-hand, but in the power-user tab of RT there is a setting to tell the cards onboard fan control to be disabled.

All depends on the card and what temps you run at and expect to manage yourself.

Anyone feel free to correct this if wrong, but I believe this is how it still works.

MrWoo

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think that if you have driver-level fan control the card's algorithm gets overriden (aka disable temporally), but with low-level fan control it works that way

not sure tho, it just happens in my card

6. MicoMaco

MicoMaco New Member

GPU:
    xfx 9800gtx 512 mb
    Now I'm completely confused :(, I'm not sure how my vid card and my fan comunicate since they are from separate vendors, vga is xfx GF 9800gtx and I removed the default fan that comes with it, now I use Arcting Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800 which has 3 PWM fans.

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X

8. MicoMaco

MicoMaco New Member

GPU:
    xfx 9800gtx 512 mb
    Thx for the input boogieman. I was looking for this low-level fan control option like crazy, cause I couldn't find it; there was only driver-level fan control option available for my 9800gtx. I tried to configure my fan control via Advanced Automatic Fan Control which is possible only through low-level fan control option but not happening in my case. So I just created the profiles and added them in my launcher. I was a bit "in the air" regarding the temperatures cause in all guides they are talking in ranges that are way beyond my vid cards range but than again I use huge passive heatsink with 3 big fans. I think I got it right anyway.