Downclocking with AMD Wattman

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Vinnie, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Hi all,

I have been searching the internet to find an answer to this question: is it possible to downclock the frequency of the memory with AMD Wattman?

I can't seem to find a way to set my memory frequency to a lower level with Wattman. And without a downclock one of my graphics cards does not run stable.

I hope you Guru's know how to do a downclock with AMD Wattman. :)

2. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Yea I don't think you can do that. I want to lower my memory clock for 2D state as well because dual monitors makes it clock to max memory 24/7. Instead I just continued to do it with MSI AB.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Is this a feature that is missing? Will it be added to Wattman in the future?

4. Toppa

Toppa Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    It was possible to downclock the memory clockspeed with every Crimson driver before WattMan was released!

I'm using Crimson 16.9.x and I'm downclocking the memory clock in the global profile for desktop/idling, because otherwise the memory clock would run permanently at 1500Mhz, as soon as second monitor is connected. This is a temperature difference of 20°. Simply not acceptable.

If that alone isn't an annoying issue, I'm now forced to either stay with this outdated driver or to use a third party tool like MSI Afterburner to lower the memory clock.

GPU: MSI R9 390
    Main display: BENQ 24" 1080p@120hz (DualLink-DVI)
    Second display: BENQ 21" 1080p@60hz (DVI)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I get about 8-10° difference with full clocks vs idle. Maybe you should look into your case's ventilation.

6. Toppa

Toppa Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    I talk about 38° idle with memory clock at 150Mhz vs. 58° idle when mem clock at 1500Mhz because of that multiple monitor thing.
    My case is well ventilated.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    37° idle 150 clocks, 45° idle 1650 clocks 58° is too high IMO, tho I do have Tri-X cooling and a backplate. I hit 62° under full load with my OC of 1150/1650.

8. Toppa

Toppa Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    These are supreme values! I'm kind of jealous :D
    But iirc that was the main advantage of the Sapphire vs. the MSI 390 right from the start.
    I have those idle temperatures since I bought my card. Under all possible circumstances.

But thats another story. I find it so convenient to just lower core and memory clock speeds to the lowest possible setting when im idling or doing 2D applications.
    I HAVE to set it in my Crimson global profile because as soon as I connect my second display the memory clock would run maximum 24/7.

So messy...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    Don't go by temperature. Go by watts. On my 7950, dual monitor did the same crap.
    Instead of 9 w idle, it was sucking 20-30 watts just for 2d.

Temps of 50-60 at idle are fine if you are pushing 20-30 watts and very slow fan. Would you rather run the fan faster- get more dust, or let it act passive until you game?

AMD really stinks with multimon. How are you able to clock mem to stock with MSI AB, is it ok with relive???

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    NV goes to full mem clocks on multimon too.

11. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    I haven't had NV since a gtx260 which didn't do this. But if you look in reviews of 1060 gtx, they find multimon uses a few watts more. Meanwhile rx480 and other amd cards double idle power use. Some clues here:

On the 7950 I was able to run 2 monitors at 1920x1080 60hz with no uplock in ram speed. Same power use.

But ram speed isnt the problem on AMD, it's that when ram goes to max, it forces the .95 or 1.00v minimum, even if the core is 300 mhz!!! Same with rx480 polaris.

But on the 7950, I was also able to mod those tables that set vcore based on ram speed. After that I could run mixed multimon without 1.00v!
    On polaris I have no clue where they are, I tried looking for the hex patterns and tables, they are blank (somewhere else in some other format?)

So, this voltage control is crap on AMD. Why change my vcore to .95v when its running 300 or 600 mhz? Why can't I keep my vcore at 0.80, it's linked in some way.

Another test. Run your ram at minimum allowed... set ram volts to 900mv. Now do multimon. See how much less power it uses at 0.90v vcore 300 core/2000 mem, than when it was using 1.0v. Thats the problem, it's using ramV as the minimum core V!!! Maybe I'll find the table someday... but now I'm using my onboard intel hd2500 for my second monitor to surf web/etc while gaming fullscreen windowed :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  12. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    This is now possible with AMD 17.7.2!

13. Toppa

Toppa Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    Great news! Didn't expect that. :cheers:

14. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Me neighter. Great news indeed! :)

15. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    So did anyone got this to work yet? I can fill in the memory frequency manually but it then automatically goes back to 1250..

16. Toppa

Toppa Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    No, i didn't :frown:

Found this in the release notes (Disclaimer, 6.):
    "Memory underclocking is compatible with: AMD Radeon™ RX 500 Series"

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1832

I'm using the R9 390. Doesn't work.

17. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU: