PC "crashes" when monitor goes off?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TheGuuH, Jul 21, 2017.

1. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Hello Guys,

I need some help - whenever I leave my PC "idle" and the monitor goes off when I turn it on my PC simple 'crashes' sometimes (Keyboard lights doesn't change if I press caps, sometimes it works but no video is displayed) Already tried DDU, swap of cables (HDMI / DP) :bang:

Specs:
    RYZEN 5 1500X (stock)
    XFX RX 470 (rx-470p4sfd5)
    GB AB350M-Gaming 3
    8gb of RAM (hyperX)
    Thermaltake Smart 600w (80Plus white)

Note that is now winter in Brasil and we don't have heaters so room temp is now around 10C (nothing is overheating as well)

I have no clue :( no PC is entire 'new' (built like 5 months ago or less) - I am starting to think that VGA is bad or something like that I will SWAP with my dad's RX470 (from sapphire) to test further.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do you get a BSOD?

You should disable hibernation via cmd prompt

type powercfg -h off

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for motherboard and GPU

3. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Thanks for your reply - Hibernation is already off that way also I am using latest F5 BIOS. I am newbie in GPU bios flash - but gonna try that as well.

EDIT: Checked for GPU bios update- but I am running latest.

EDIT2: No BSOD - it simply crashes xD (checked EVENT Logger but nothing related to it).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's more likely that a driver is misbehaving waking from sleep mode, and not necessarily the video driver. It could also be some Windows component.

I would first make sure the AMD chipset drivers are up to date, along with your mobo's BIOS. I would also then go over the drivers for every device to make sure they are also current.

Also, are you running Windows 10 Insider builds?

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'd try disabling ULP mode (ultra Low Power).
    It sets the GPU into ultra low power when the screen shuts off, and is then incapable of waking it up.

It should be a solved problem by now. I had it at the beginning with my R9 290, but I haven't had it for some time.

Rivatuner has an option to enable/disable it.
    I also think there is a command line option to change it in the driver, without installing Rivatuner.

Worth a try, just to see if it is that.

6. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Hey I was on vacation for a week sorry :)

Today I found something new - just turned off the main monitor and was using my TV(in HDMI) after turning on the monitor during the morning - the monitor wasn't the primary (??) display everything was trying to show in my TV (which was off) and checking the display arrange it was side by side (which should top - my TV is in up and monitor below it (it is a vesa mount) ) so... I am starting to think that it 'does not crash' it is something related to this 'bug'

I will try to disable ULPS as well.