Ryzen 7 or the 7700k?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by IhatebeingAcop, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you can get Ryzen + MB + DDR4 3200MHz to work, then get Ryzen. My 4 Core is choking rest of system as much as yours does.

Maybe OnnA can share CPU-Z memory tab screenshot and add some story on how hard/easy it was to get memory running on 3200MHz.

We know that there were initial issues. And that support improved since then. But biggest stop for Ryzen is in us not knowing that memory will work way we want it to.

2. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    And that some gaming titles struggle with Ryzen...

...currently

He is asking for a mainly gaming system, therefore we cannot "factually" recommend Ryzen at this moment in time...

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not presume that he is unable to use process lasso for those poorly threaded games to prevent them from jumping between CCXes.

I am personally waiting for 6C/12T review and 3200MHz DDR4 general compatibility.
    I already know that 4 Core CPUs are not going to last for next 4 years.

Everyone knows it. That, what you call struggle is still well above 60fps. But considering that Games themselves use today at least 2 threads. And that DX12/Vulkan use currently up to 6/8 threads to feed GPU...

I can count those threads, and values are much higher than 4, HT/SMT is not miracle. One needs 6C/12T as minimum if system is to last for 3~4 years.

And as we will get those 6C/12T and 8C/16T into general population, you will see use for them. It is likely that advanced CPU physics will return in some form and will utilize additional threads.
    - - - -
    TL;DR: 7700k Is faster in most of games today. Good, but it is faster in range where most gamers no longer need more fps.
    Even 6C/12T Ryzen will last longer than 7700k. If I did not think so, I would already have it as my CPU is obsolete.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    My Memory is not Sam B-Die so i can't go up to 3200MHz right now (waiting for BIOS Updates, Yes it will be fixed soon, so my 3200 will run NP)
    Now i have 2801MHz CL14-13-13-30 1T 1.44v/1.115v SOC
    UPD - OLD..2805MHz CL16-16-16-37 1T 1.4v/1.115v SOC

-> http://valid.x86.fr/9jtn9j (like this)

Not 100% Stable like this -> http://valid.x86.fr/3ln5a8

But Gaming is really OK right now, no single drop ! Solid as Titanium :mhp:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvk

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

5. pedromr2

pedromr2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC+
    So will i see much difference going from a i5-3570k@4.2Ghz to a ryzen7 1700@3.8or3.9 with memories at 3200mhz with the same fury graphic card?

Remember i have 1440p 144hz monitor.

I am not a Intel or Amd fanboy i am just a regular guy that wants to make the best choice.

I have this 3570K since 2011 and until now it's my best cpu so far and i had many,i have this CPU OC since then and i game everyday,so you see i want another cpu to last the same.

If you guys say buy the ryzen an OC it and it will improve more and more over time i do it.

But if you say buy the 7700k and OC to 5ghz it will last you no problem 5 years also i do it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    Trust me, no one of those.
    Wait for the 6 core 1600x, just 2 weeks. here's the reasons

1) wait a bit more, motherbords BIOS are litteraly horrible, specialy when it came to ram suport

2)6 core are more than enough

3)first incarnation of ryzen still have some arch problems, so, if you plan an am4 sistem, take now a 1600 for 250€, then in 2018 or even later when 8 core may be realy useful just take a zen2 o zen 3 8 core and drop it onto your mobo!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    wow, next year, buy now a new rig and up to the next year you are good to go:giggle2:

8. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    If the 2 other cores are still on a different CCX then the 1600x will also have the same arch issues

Personally, I MOSTLY game but occasionally do video rendering or streaming, and I went with the 1800x and I'm pretty satisfied. Even if you're just keeping a bunch of stuff open in the background, the extra cores will assist for gaming in that scenario as well.

9. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yea, indeed. My opinion is just that because those chips are still not perfect, but they came whit a new and long lasting platform, could be wise to buy a slightly cheaper cpu, and change whit a more mature in the future

10. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    Yeah I suppose, but I had my 2600k for like 6 years, and even in its currently "buggy" state I'm happy with the performance that I think the 1800x will last another 6 years, and I'm sure software updates will help with the issues even more.

11. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    I bought some week ago a 2x16 GB kit ddr4 gkill trident z 3200 cas 15 for a good price. Very cool ram, but today there is no am4 mobo able of handle such a kit at the frequency that is designed for, witout issues. for me is not acceptable. I'll wait, but not too much.

12. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I don't think you would last 5 years with a i7 7700k, i might be wrong...but i would not bet on it.
    If you plan to keep your cpu for a long time i would recommend at least an ryzen r5 1600x or wait for Intels new upcoming 6core cpu.
    Or just get an r7 1700, it has a great pricetag for an 8core cpu.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    If you play ARMA or any CPU intensive game, emulators, 7700k all the way. No substitute for raw IPC and MHZ in those situations. Get one that OCs like crazy and you will be good for a long time.

Otherwise, R5 or R7 depending on your needs but only after revision 2 for the motherboard. There are still enough bugs out there that unless you have a spare system already, it is not stable enough for no headaches 24/7. There will be growing pains.

If AMD made the CPU that can plug into an Intel MB, I would have upgraded to Ryzen right away too.

14. pedromr2

pedromr2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC+
    Guys,

I really want the ryzen 7 I am tired of giving.money to intel parasites.

Please give me the best configuration deal regarding cpu,memory,mb,aio water cooling and case the graphics card I am satisfied with my r9 fury with tunning from onna bios ;)

15. DrDoU

DrDoU Guest

GPU:
    power color rx6800
    my 1800+ doesn't struggle doing anything.Got no problem recommending one

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    THX

Pick Hero VI (if you have AiO and it's AM3 Compatible)
    Pick 1700X/1800X and give it a go on 4-4.1GHz
    Next RAM, look here and pick some of the Gskill CL14 Kit
    -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/0_50

Greets and take care :kissin:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think it will. It won't last as long Sandy Bridge did. You just buying yet another quad core in 2017. CPU demanding engines have evolved to make use of more than 4 cores. We not living in 2011 anymore.

You can see benchmarks for yourself and see how badly can 7700k choke with min fps. Battlefield1, GTA5 all those CPU intensive games can choke 7700k with many events happening at the same time. (multi explosions with lots of calculations).
    If you don't have GSync, you gonna have a bad time with quad core.
    7700K won't give you more frames that it already does. Platform and software for it already matured. That's it. There nothing more to it.
    It's a good and bad thing. It's safe cause there no major bugs in it. So you overall safer with 7700K. While with Ryzen, you taking a risk to discover some not addressed bugs and rely on software to further be optimized for it.

EDIT : Here's benches with some recent memory tweaks. Again, it's just minor memory fix. Nothing major is done on software side.
    [​IMG]

That's totally not fanboy of you. Well constructive and very detailed reply. Good job, Geryboy. I am very honored to have you.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I don't think it will. It won't last as long Sandy Bridge did. You just buying yet another quad core in 2017. CPU demanding engines have evolved to make use of more than 4 cores.

We not living in 2011 anymore. (+1 for this one)

IMO 8/16 is OK for anything, we can argue as for low OC (mine is not low ;) from 3GHz to 4.1GHZ its 1100MHz OC)
    We can't have now everything (i mean High OC + RAM etc.) but it will get better in time.

It's AMD new Gen of uArch, and im on this boat right now -> it's a Darn Good HardWare (as it is now) :thumbup:

Remember History:

Old times ->
    Don't pick 2 cores, 1 Core is better for Gaming !
    Don't pick 4 cores, 2 Cores are better for Gaming !
    Now:
    Don't pick 8 cores, 4 Cores are better for Gaming !
    And in the future:
    Don't pick 12 cores, 8 Cores are better for Gaming ! and so on....

19. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    Let's just remember that 5GHz also isn't guaranteed on the 7700k. I remember when I bought the 2600k people were talking about how easy and realistic 5GHz was, and when I got it I could only get to about 4.4 stable, and then a few years later the chip degraded (don't remember the voltage I had but it was within the safe recommended range) and I had stability issues even at stock clocks.

20. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Is there anyone having any types of issues with the Kaby Lake on Z170 boards? I know that the board needs a bois update in order for it to work with the 7th generation intel processor.