Every Bethesda Softworks Game Stutters!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    When i first played oblivion when it first came out , i used to get this horrible frameskipping with every walk forwards/backwards or sidewards. It does not affect moving the camera viewpoint!. For example i'd walk to the left or right Skip...skip...skip...skip.. you could actually see the game screen jerk but keep still and it doesn't happen. I got so fustrated with it that i posted on a number of forums asking for help and even offered some money to anyone that could fix it. Now the results from people were Get another hard drive , get another graphics card , get more ram , format , virus check and even one person said it could be my electrics into the house causing high emf. I got myself into a small amount of debt by buying new computer equipment just for the game to fix it , thinking it was MY system.

The new system still had the problem and i gave up , then someone told me to try ifpsclamp and wow it worked however the downside was if you can't keep up with 60fps it will lag and go into slow mo this is a known issue. Few more months down the line and fpslimiter(frame rate limiter ) came out and fixed the problem with oblivion!. Fallout 3 came out and i was rather excited but i had my concerns , it was using the same engine would i suffer the issue again?. YEP i sure did , here we go again SKIP...SKIP...SKIP..SKIP asked for help and the same old replies * New Hardware *.

But finally there was this amazing mod called " oblivion stutter remover " or " fallout stutter remover " . Completely fixed my issues and would've saved me a TON of money. Now Fallout 3 Vegas is out and the same damn problem frameskipping with every step , now because it's happened with every system i've had (windows xp) and all nvidia cards(different models 8800GTS E.T.C) it points to the engine or the drivers.

But my research came down to this from tweakforce

One person replied its the physics and gfx synchronisation So why has it never been fixed ? , why does it happen to a certain number of people and not all? The new DX9 dll fix going about does nothing and SORRY for the long post but i need to put all this info out

MY SYSTEM CURRENTLY :ASRock Penryn1600SLI-110d , Q6600 @ 3100MHZ , Palit GTX260 @ 731/1485/1209 , 8GB , SyncMaster T240 , Creative XFI-GAMER , Windows 7. Everything upto date ! , fully prime stable and also original clock tested with the game just incase. Though as i said happened with previous two systems but AMD

FRAMESKIP VIDEO UPLOADED!!!!!!!!

=====================================

UPDATE AS OF 24/10/10

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CAUSE OF FRAMESKIPPING - GAME 64HZ ENGINE FLAW

(((( FRAMESKIP/STUTTER FIX INSTRUCTIONS ))))

1) Install FallOut 3 Vegas

2A) Make sure it's patched to the latest steam version ( 1.1.1 ) or Fallout.New.Vegas.Update.3

2B) Delete the Dx9 file if you've used it previously and rerun the launcher and set up your video/sound options!

3) Copy/Unpack the UPDATED "fnv4gb.exe" and the "fnv4gb_helper.dll" (4GB Fallout New Vegas Mod) into your Fallout NV Folder. " Explicitly sets the system timer to 3 ms while running to ensure, rather than just assuming, timeGetTime() will have better accuracy than GetTickCount() " for Frameskipping
    http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262

4) Run the fn4gb.exe file! :)

TOTALY SMOOTH GAMEPLAY HARDLY ANY FRAMESKIPPING( Don't use ifpsclamp )

=====================

26TH OCTOBER UPDATE ( THE PROBLEM SOURCE , *GetTickCount* )

Vegas Stutter Remover
    4GB exe Memory/Stutter Remover Mod
    I was doing more research today and googled " Windows GetTickCount() " , this is what is improved or fixed in both the stutter fix mods for oblivion/fallout 3/vegas , which fixes my frameskipping.

Reply to the above Quote

GetTickCount Wikipedia

Another VERY interesting post quote

DOOM 3 / PREY

What do you guys make of that? , a Possible problem with some systems and TIC Rates? , is it called the tic stutter bug?. Why does the GetTickCount cause me so much grief with frameskipping?.

----------------------

----- FRAMESKIPPING , REPRODUCED , SEE FOR YOURSELF !

found by sk4ut!

To those that don't know what frameskipping is , try this out and see for yourself!. This is what i suffer from in fallout 3 / vegas / oblivion / doom 3 and prey!

----------------------

03RD NOVEMBER NVIDIA UPDATE

----------------------

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Another way i can prove it's not content streaming but async frame rate related or engine related is...

SKIP SKIP SKIP

Go into the ini file

IFPSCLAMP=60

Skip Gone! , however you can get terrible lag if the system can't keep up with 60 constantly. We need the stutter remover!

3. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

NVIDIA and Bethesda know about the issue.

The issue was worked around for Fallout 3 specifically in the driver because it's too fargone for the devs to consider patching the game.

NVIDIA let Bethesda/Obsidian know about the root cause of the issue and Obsidian is looking into fixing it. The way that the engine is destroying resources all at once is poor resource management and the driver does not like it... the application and driver don't get along with one another. If Obsidian refuses to fix it NVIDIA will be forced to continue to put in workarounds in the driver that sidestep general behavior just for this application. NVIDIA can't change the fundamental core driver operation which works for every other game/engine out there for the sake of one developer simply because the developer chooses not to spend time fixing something. Really the developers should be doing the full QA, catching this issue, and fixing it in the application, as there is only so much that can be done on the driver side given that it has to support every game out there in a general and safe way.

That said, Fermi does not have the problems because it is a different architecture which does not require the use of the certain part of the driver that influences this. But GTX 2xx, 9800, and 8800 series do require this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    wow great reply! , thanks Sr7

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    interesting..my FO3 was stuttering with ATI GPU but after getting 285 NVIDIA its gone.

6. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    ^ Thing is was the stuttering like mine , with every step as if the screen was skipping a beat or just general stuttering?

This is the biggest problem i have with my issue and other members problems because so many people think it's the same thing. :(

7. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Hmmm i was just wondering something , is there a possibility even if it's low that it's down to the chipset and not graphics card e.t.c?

Although my previous system was an amd and this one is a quad core intel , both motherboards contained a nvidia nforce chipset. That's the only thing that remained the same just different models.

8. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    I never had a frame skipping issue with fallout 3. Not with my 8800Gts 512 or now with my GTX470. Only problem I had is the Quad core bug they introduced with patch 1.1 and still haven't fixed.

9. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

It all depends on the settings you run. If you run low enough quality or high enough resolution it can mask this issue. It was very visible for me, for example, at 1280x800, ultra quality, 4 sample AA, 15 sample AF on a Core i7 with an 8800GTX.

Fallout 3 (the original, not New Vegas) now has a workaround where the hitching stops after one or two hitches.

10. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    I'VE FOUND THE CAUSE!!!

By chance i was playing doom 3 it was on special offer and saw the EXACT same issue as in oblivion and fallout 3 :( , with further research it comes down to this

Because Oblivion/Fallout 3 does not have this command i can't put it in , FINALLY i found what's causing it my end :D :D

11. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I am interested to know which driver solved the stuttering? Version 182.50 had no stuttering, any driver after that was a mess. So this indicates that something Nvidia changed in the drivers was a cause of the problem and in the latest game patch(es).

I recently had 2 XFX Black Edition gtx 260 cards in Sli, game was so bad with the new drivers that it was basiclaly unplayable unless I turned down almost all the settings, which I never had to do with the 182.50 drivers.

I have now upgraded to 2 eVGA gtx 470 cards in Sli, and the stuttering seems less, but it still happens occasionaly. You would think with the amount of power I have this game should run without issues.

One of the main reasons I did not bother getting the latest Fallout game.

12. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    FO3 New Vegas, runs fine on my system with gtx460. But, the frames jump between 30´s and 60fps all the time. Strange thing tho is that I cant see any skipping/jumping between the frames. And whats even more strange is that my gpu Load is only @ 20% (even when its running in 60fps?). I think we need a major overhall of the nvidia drivers, and team.

13. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    But , that's not fine then :3eyes::)

14. GXice

GXice Guest

I remember the 188.25 drivers were some of the best I'd ever used. HUGE difference in games like Fallout 3. Try them :)

15. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Tried them all , hell i used to have a 8800GTS and it still did this!

The aSync thread rate / frameskip issue was never fixed in the drivers for people like me

16. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Read this found by unwinding

This is exactly my issue , though having ifpsclamp on all the time is a no go because your system has to keep up at 60fps. But it does fix the skipping

17. GXice

GXice Guest

Sorry mate, that's all I know :(

BTW, setting iFPSClamp=60 in Fallout 3 makes my game really slow. The guy runs really slow, shoots the gun slow, reloads slow, its like everything is slow motion =/

18. Warpy

Warpy Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have the same issue as the OP, this happened in Fallout 3 and Crysis Wars for me and nothing would fix it.

I have a GTX295 and this issue is ruining this game for me :(

19. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    That's ok fella :)

Annoying isn't it :bang:

20. GXice

GXice Guest

I'm getting constant BSOD when running Fallout 3, walking around Tenpenny Tower. No idea what's causing it.

Using latest 280.69 drivers as well... I thought the bsod issues were fixed ages ago?