DSR/SLI/PCI-E PORT/SLI Flickering Issue.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Jul 5, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Normally when I Sli, I have the card right next to each other, that's the way I had mine when 2 980ti's were in the system.

Now for the 1080ti's, I wanted them to breath a bit better, space them out a bit, at first sli worked perfectly, now, even with ddu,re-install drivers,etc, I get mad Flickering Issues with games,etc.

Apparently the problem is causing when I am using a different pci-e bus port other then the one right next to the first slot, If I use other slots, and use DSR along with it, it flickers REAL BAD.

2 980ti's had the same problem if I spaced them out.

The problem is quickly solved when two cards are right next to each other, but I also gained like 8-10c in increased temps on both cards.

Tested unigine valley 4k max, before temps were like 42c range, now its hitting like 51, lol.

I even switched sides of the hb sli connector, changed dvi-d cables, take out the sli connector then re-connect, uninstall drivers and cleaned out drivers with ddu/driver sweeper,etc, still nothing

In the beginning it was working great, after awhile or so, it starting to flicker bad, and I mean REAL BAD.

Just for kicks, I even tried to use my tri-sli connector, still same thing.

They way it is now, this works 100% perfect but the temps are much higher in return, I normally have it this way anyways but the temps difference makes me want to go back, I also noticed a decreased in unigine valley 4k max score as oppose to spacing the card out for some odd reason.

Do you think that making a custom resolution as oppose to using DSR will fix this?

If anyone has a work around, please let me know.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, couple things.

1st: Using Nvidia's Custom Resolution instead of DSR works PERFECTLY, wouldn't thought this would happen.

2nd: I notice that my temps were roughly the same, the reason why it was much lower yesterday, lol, I forgot to mention about it, I was in a AC room and it was during night time, as oppose to today now, no ac, windows open, Muahaha.

I even checked the vrm temp's, roughly the same.

It was the ambient temp that I was not taking into account here.

Everything is good now.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Forgive my ignorance on sli, assuming the board in your profile is what you are using, Maybe the pcie lane assignment is causing the problem?, have you tried making sure the cards are using pcie lanes from the same cpu when moving them apart?

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Take a look at this site:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568616/official-asus-z10pe-d8-ws-owners-thread

It shouldn't matter though, If dsr ain't working properly and custom resolution is working perfectly, then something within the drivers probably not working as it should, I might send a ticket about this to nvidia, I know when I was messing with dsr on my old system, which my father has now, the gtx 970, TWINS, was doing the same thing, on a x99-a mobo from asus.

Also, each of my cpu has a host of 40 PCI-E Lanes, making it a total of 80(Dual Cpu Configuration).

I do have an m.2 connected on the very last slot, and the other on the mobo, bottom portion, m.2 slot, but that consumes X4 pci-e each, I got more then enough leftover to cover everything.

And just to let everyone know, I checked my pci-e speed, and its @ 3.0X16, both of them.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

I can say that dsr works differently than the custom resolution settings. If i recall, originally you couldn't use dsr and sli at the same time, when dsr was first added.

the reason i was thinking the pcie lanes might be an issue is that if the cards are on different cpus timing frames might be off due to the latency between sockets if the driver isn't aware, sending a ticket would probably be a good idea.

pretty dope mobo btw:thumbup:

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Thanks for the reply, I am guessing the same thing you are saying, cpu latency, using two different cpu's, as oppose to running both cards on same cpu.

If that's the case, then why did it do to my old system with 2 gigabytes: gtx 970's???, and that was running on a single cpu configuration(X99-a).

This is the only thing I can think of, oh btw, I did check the image quality between 2400p custom and dsr, And you ALL know how I am when it comes to IQ, I look at everything, I am ALL about Image Quality FIRST(Always), stills doesn't do jack for me, I pay very close attn to one lil dinky section at a time while in motion, I even did stills on this one, unigine valley 4k MAX, ergh, I couldn't tell a difference really, that's really good news here, also, performance wise, some will say there is some slight performance decrease while using custom, happy to report here, no difference really, basically the same, very good news again.

Oh, lol, btw, 4k max ungine valley looks great but needs more AA on top of the x8 AA. :(, but not going to mess with hardware forcing aa with unigine, I save that for games really.

Valley looks really good, But even then, still alot of flickers on trees, flowers,etc,etc, Other then that, landscape themselves looks good.

Might try sparsegrid on top but it will eat these card alive, lol. Usually I don't force more aa on top of unigine anyways, I save that for games.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Very strange, no idea then.

thats pretty crazy.