Buying iTunes gift cards on Amazon - question?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by vidra, Nov 25, 2012.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi, a question for US gurus. When you buy iTunes gift cards on Amazon, do you get a physical card (like a scratch code) or do you just get a code? If the former is the case, is there anywhere where you can buy just the code (a safe and respectable web retailer)?

Thanks

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Did you try the Apple website?

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The last time I ordered an iTunes gift card from Amazon, they sent me an actual card. But that was couple years ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then. It's best to email them.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. The thing is that I'm in an unusual situation. Namely, last year my wife won an iPod Touch 4g on a raffle of some sorts and gave the thing to me. When I tried registering it, I was unable to do so properly as my country is not supported. I couldn't even get access to free software as Serbia has no iTunes shop. So, I Googled around a bit and saw that people from many, shall we say less important, countries have the same problem. The solution was to register under an imaginary US address (or a real one but where you don't actually live) and to gain access to the US iTunes store. I did this and I was able to use free software for my iPod Touch. When I wanted to use my credit card to actually purchase some apps, it was rejected as its country of origin (coded in the credit card number) was recognised as not US. The only way I'm able to get around this is to purchase gift card codes and redeem them in the iTunes app store. There is a service here in Serbia that does this but they charge way too much for the codes. So I was wondering if there was any way I could skip the proverbial middle man and purchase the codes directly at, say, the same cost as the gift cards themselves. Buying actual (physical) cards is not an option as it would take weeks to ship from the US, and the shipping cost would make it an even less attractive solution. So you see my problem?

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm in the UK so not much use for a US account, but maybe someone could pop into a retail store and buy a physical card and PM you the code and you pay them? I'd do it if it was a UK one you were after.

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Good idea.

If someone in the US would be willing, I'd buy a gift card from Amazon and have it shipped to their address and they could e-mail me the code. That would be a nice, low-hassle option if someone would be willing to do it for me. I only buy stuff once every few months so it wouldn't be too much work.

7. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Awkward silence descends... (cricket sounds)... the occasional tumbleweed tumbles past...

8. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Ok, I decided to resurrect this thread as I've finally found a reliable source for the digital delivery of iTunes gift cards.

The name of the site is PC Game Supply. At first I was a bit apprehensive as I didn't know anything about the site, but having read a few encouraging reviews, I decided to risk it and order a $10 iTunes gift card. Now the first purchase involved an activation process whereby they send you a text message with a code you type in to activate your account. After that I made the payment through PayPal (the $10 gift card cost $11.50, which is quite acceptable), the scanned gift card (with the code showing) appeared on my user account. I successfully redeemed the code and made my purchases.

I have made several other purchases of the same item, and it went smoothly. So, should anyone need this, I'd recommend it. Only 1 thing, though. Don't buy the $15 gift card as the "activation cost" is $5 which brings the total up to $20, whereas $20 worth of gift cards would cost you 2x$11.50=$23.

Now, before anyone asks why they should do this, not all countries have iTunes App Stores, so people who live in such countries have to "pretend" they're from the US to be able to buy apps from the US App Store. Even then, they don't allow non-US issued credit cards, nor PayPal accounts whose associated credit card is not from the US so we have to rely on iTunes gift cards to be able to purchase apps, songs and vids.

Cheers.

9. franksteinmann

franksteinmann Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    Hello Vidra. This is a late response which nonetheless could still be useful for someone else.

With regards to the card types, as far as I know there are options to get both the electronic code delivered to your inbox and the physical card which you get from your local post office.

As for the respective web retailers, I've recently studied this issue myself by Googling a few sites on the Internet. One website which I've came around was ar-pay.com . From there, you will be able to get the codes I've mentioned above and pay either with the wire transfer or Paypal.

Hope this helps.

Frank

10. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks, mate. I'll definitely check it out. Especially since PC Game Supply have upped the "activation cost" to $3, which is a bit too high for a $10 gift card. Not to mention that whenever I purchase an app, I also have to pay US tax of about 8 cents per dollar... It sucks to live in a 2nd/3rd world country.

Oh, and welcome to Guru3D :D