Question about open vents on the front of cases

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by 007.SirBond, May 19, 2015.

1. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    [​IMG]

I have the Antec 900. Cleaning the front fans on this case has been so tedius and annoying. Watch this video for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YTcBDPrG0

I've decided to cover the front vents. This will remove the front fans from bringing air and dust from the room into the case. The case fans should still keep my components cool as they are pointed inwards. Why do ATX case manufacturers think having a open vent design for the front is a good idea? All this has done is brought more dust into my machine. Or is there something I am missing here?

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Ever heard of dust filters? The video shows a major detail cleaning that should only have to be done maybe once a year. Maybe even longer depending on how dusty your room gets. Never do anything to impede air flow. Really,dust filters are what you need to keep dust out.

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I have an Antec 900 case running my HTPC/Server, I have removed the front fans, but just to make the PC quieter.

When I used the case as my main PC cleaning the fans is easy without open the doing what that video requires.

You buy yourself one of these.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896367002

Then use a small screwdriver to hold the fan from rotating, a paper clip unbent will also work, through the front grill. then blow both sides clean.

The Datavac,it is actually a blower, has no problem cleaning out the Antec 900 and no other case either.

4. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Isn't that a 902 in that pic?

Not sure how well these work maybe just the front and side filter would be enough to minimize the amount of dust getting in.

http://www.demcifilter.com/c13/ANTEC-900.aspx

My p280 has a front filter, I run the front fans higher speed than the exhaust fans so most of the air has to go through the filter, doesn't get rid of all the dust though.

5. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Oh you will be surprised on how much dust there still is even after blowing it throught the vents. You really have to take the vents off and blow/wipe to get rid of all the dust.

Well I checked my temps after covering the front vents. No change in temps. It also reduces the amount of noise the fans make. So I can turn the case fans higher speed if needed and I shouldn't have any issues with temperatures. I really see no point in having open vents. The extra bit of airflow that the fans suck in really isn't worth all the excessive dust it brings in my opinion.

Last edited: May 20, 2015