Palit Sonic Platinum gtx460 Underclock

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by R_gas, Feb 2, 2012.

1. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    I have a Palit 1gb GTX460 Sonic Platinum. Worked great for a while, but it crashes when running games now and the manufacturer suggested I underclock it a little. I did that in MSI Afterburner and Vtune and both I have the same problem, now and then it will jump back up to the stock OC settings of 800/1600 and crash my game. I have no clue why it jumps back up to original settings when I have it clocked down, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Rich

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Just up the voltage one step or two, should fix problem.

3. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    I've tried bumping the voltage up gradually by .012v all the way to the 1.087 that MSI afterburner limits it. I still get issues.

4. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    Well, I went through a lot of settings. I think the ram chips are the problem. I clocked the Core and Shader back to normal 800/1600 and dropped the memory clock from 2000 down to 1000 and it runs fine now, though with performance decrease. If I run it anything above that it crashes after about 20 minutes into a game. I can't RMA it, so maybe it will work ok as a dedicated physx card and upgrade to a 560ti or 6950?

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What exactly happens when it crashes? Colors, lines, flickering, etc or just black screen with reset. If black screen, try turning fan to 100%. Possibly gpu overheating but most likely VRMs getting hot

6. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    No black screen. It gets artifacts, like a bunch of little squares flickering and colors. As far as temps go, the GPU core reads only like 40-50c range when it runs a game, idles at around 28-30c. Is there anyway to monitor the v-ram temps? I even ramped up the core to 850mhz so I imagine it is something with the ram. If Attempt to change the memory speed between 1100 and 1600 it gets the issues immediately (colors, squares or black screen) and crashes the system. At 1000 up to 1100 it's fine running whatever. At 1600 and up it's stable until game or benchmark is ran. Anything in between is like an immediate failure.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    I also checked up some info on this card, it looks like some did not have VRM sinks which became and issue for many people. Mine is missing those heatsinks, I couldn't find any heatsinks for vrm online, just for the ram chips, maybe I'm searching wrong?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011

Is this what I'm needing?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  9. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    I purchased the MOS-C10s last night, I'll let you know what's up when I get them. I'm hoping that fixes the issue. From what I found online, a lot of people had these problems with the first batch of these cards that the manufacturer didn't include a heatsink for the VRM on.

10. R_gas

R_gas Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1gb GTX460
    The heatsinks on the VRMs fixed the issue. Thanks :D