NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I simply don't understand, why some people don't get this :)
    Very simple stuff.
    But I still dislike the "Dynamic Super Resolution" name with a passion.
    Now that is confusing and misleading, "Adjustable Resolution Scaling" would be a much more accurate name IMO.

2. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Feel free to use downsampling if that looks better to you.

NFS is a game with known issues with SGSSAA, so not sure what you are trying to point out.

4. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55
    I mean SGSSAA isn't an option for this game, unless you want a blurry image...

:nerd:

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Some of us would prefer better temporal aliasing to sharpness.

Playing the game myself. Downsampling looks sharper. But looks worse in motion. There is quite a bit of flickering,shimmering, moire, and such.

DSR looks closer to SGSSAA, but still has moire and some flickering

The only thing wrong with SGSSAA is that the conflict with the HDR exposure needs to be fixed if possible. Which exaggerates the issues.

If I can fix it, should make it less of an issue

-And to be clear, the C5 flag doesn't work with 8xSGSSAA. Using C3 instead does work. And does provide a much better result than C5. AA quality wise that is.

Still issue with HDR exposure though. Which I do have a lead on.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

How about Adjustable Super Scaling? ha ha.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well the issue with NFS is tied to a combination of a number of things. One thing specifically in the setup for it required to work is what causes the exposure issue.

If you remove that, it fixes the issue, but AA takes a huge hit.

8. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    For my 2560x1440 screen with a gtx 670, sgssaa 2x costs about half of the performance of 3620x2036 (2.0x) while producing better coverage. Which is why DSR is only going to be useful for "won't work any other way" situations. DSR does have the advantage of preserving a little more detail though, like for example chain linked fences using a texture transparency layer might shimmer a fraction more at DSR 2.0x, however they are more defined objects, whereas sgssaa makes them more of a blurry shimmer free single object.

Sgssaa combined with DSR 2.0, while being unaffordable to anyone without quadsli 980's, seems to gain the best of both worlds. It just needs lumasharpen on top of those two to bring the distant detail to a level where you can appreciate the gained detail/shimmerfree movement.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah, not only is bug free AA impossible for NFS MW, same thign with HBAO+. Very strange game.

DSR+FXAA is as good as it gets. Which isn't too bad.

10. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    i have some problems with dsr and i think it ruins games like trine or hitman absolution or farcry 3 depth of field .how can i fix this?

11. MarcinPL

MarcinPL Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB
    Some flags for l.a. noire ? Because those from first post 0x004000C1 do not working. Got black screen and dont see nothing...

12. heben99

heben99 Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    A thought comes from SGSSAA

In the year 2012, I used a Nvidia GTS250 GPU (and an AMD 7750 CPU, a LCD monitor@1680*1050) to play several PC games, such as WOW, Warcraft,The First Templar. All the games' image quality are very well, especially the AA quality. With GTS250, the driver at that time, the CPU and the monitor, I never noticed about jaggies in game. And I even never used Nvidia Inspector at that time. Perhaps I only adjust the Transparent Supersampling and Multisampling in the Nvidia Control Panel.

But, in this 2014 year, I bought a new PC with Intel i5 4570 and Nvidia GTX760. When I test it with 3DMark at first(Maybe the Vantage Version), I have found that there are so many jaggies in the animations. Then I played many games, such as Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, The Elder Scrolls V***65306;Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Far Cry 3, Half Life 2. It seems that every game shows so bad AA quality and so many jaggies. I adjust every options, for example, Transparent Supersampling and Multisampling, in the Nvidia Control Panel, but nothing does work. At last, I nearly give up about play game with my new PC. But at that time I found some information about SGSSAA in guru3d forum.

I try to use SGSSAA in Mass Effect 3, Fallout: New Vegas, WOW, Borderlands 2, The Lord Of The Rings: War In The North, Homefront, Bully Scholarship Edition. And the SGSSAA seems to make me come to my game life again. SGSSAA gives a very good AA quality, especially the grass, leaf, tree and ground texture. SGSSAA gives me a feeling which is very similar to the AA quality with GTS250. But many games still can’t use SGSSAA.

Several months ago, I bought an old GTS250 again. I installed GTS250. But I found that the AA quality of WOW with GTS250 is still so bad. After some trials, I sold the GTS250 again. --#

Today, I doubt if the difference on driver version make the AA quality different. Because the driver used for the former GTS250 in 2012 is not showed in the Nvidia website. Now we can only see the Nvidia geforce driver after 331 version. So I want to know if I should buy GTS250 again and try it with the old version driver. I can find old version drivers such as 186.18 or 258.96 on some websites.

If anyone can give me some advice, I will be very grateful. Because this is the first time I post a topic in guru3d. -:)

***8203;
    PS: I have seen the image quality and AA quality with 8400m gt, 8600m gt, Mobility Radeon HD 5750 in notebook and 7600gt, 9500GT, GTS250 in desktop. And I think all the cards show a good image quality except my GTX 760.

13. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Your mistake is in assuming the AA quality has to do with the card you are using. In recent years, gaming has shifted towards different rendering methods which, unfortunately, gimps MSAA as a viable solution. Even (most) games that support MSAA simply don't look great with it due to new rendering technologies messing with it. The main issue is temporal aliasing, which MSAA doesn't touch. I would go into further detail on it, but I'm not an expert and I don't want to explain it incorrectly. Basically, modern gaming with near perfect AA quality is limited to TXAA implementation, old-school supersampling combined with FXAA, the rare good implementation of SMAA, or forcing SGSSAA. As engines get more complicated, AA solutions get more complicated as well :p

Also, forcing MSAA in the control panel rarely works in newer games. They have much more going on so rather than letting MSAA break games, they have it so it flat out doesn't work in most titles. I'd say in 95% of newer games, forcing MSAA in the control panel won't work, but that is an estimate, not an actual statistic.

Unfortunately, TXAA is Nvidia specific and few games use it since it requires them to use gameworks, which is a crappy program from Nvidia, but that is a different issue entirely, so I won't explain it further. You can research it if you'd like. If TXAA is available, use it. It is fantastic AA at a fairly low performance hit. OGSSAA, as you probably know, is a huge performance hog and very few people have the performance to spare in modern games, so it is rarely implemented. SMAA is a pretty neat post-aa solution, but it requires multiple samples to be good, and even then, there are other issues prevalent in the tech that I haven't seen addressed yet, such as "ghosting" in motion. I think ghosting is only a problem in the temporal solution though, however, as described before, that is the main problem we need a new solution to solve. SGSSAA is actually a hack where transparency supersampling is applied to the whole scene. It creates phenomenal AA, as you saw, but it is limited to what we find AA bits for since Nvidia doesn't officially support it. It is also only compatible in games that use DX9, which is slowly becoming an abandoned API.

Basically, we are at the devs mercy now, and they usually take the lazy way out by slapping an FXAA option in the game which doesn't help much.

14. heben99

heben99 Guest

GPU:
    8GB

Yes, your are right. I can only play modern games with TXAA or SGSSAA. All other AA does little work to solve the flickering and jaggies problem. :)

15. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, anti aliasing seems worse in the 344.60 drivers. Looks like it's not workig correctly, or the AA string no longer works as it used to?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

16. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Yeah, good AA isn't a priority for devs, which is understandable. They use these low end solutions since they are very quick and they want to maximize visuals on consoles, and tbh, FXAA while sitting 5+ feet away from a TV is just fine imo. Good AA is mainly desired by PC gamers who are generally 1-2 feet away from their screens, but the money isn't in PC games :p

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ehh, I have to disagree, even sitting at quite a distance I can see a lot of aliasing really easily. Especially on console games.

18. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Are you sure this bit is correct? It seems to be too long, and also the only place in the internet that it exists is in your post :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  19. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    It is most likely 0x004010C1. You'll have to test it though, I don't have that game.

20. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Thanks for the reply. I tried this bit, it is a standard bit for Unity engine but unfortunately in Dreamfall Chapters it results in extreme blurring:

No AA:
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43109239106528924/5C29FBC6E64B3B90887440D548D8DD196B34C9F5/

SGSAA 2x
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43109239106522718/CBB50B4FDB7A13C304EB1F275C31B7469B221F41/

SGSSAA 4x:
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/43109961076662865/738C9AD6C50F23E828424790B0FED1E63B92CFC9/

Is there any other bit I can try?