What is SBA (Side Band Addressing)?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Inspired, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I have MSI Geforce4 ti 4200 card. In the MSI information display tab on display propertie menu. it has a check box that says SBA enable. Can someone tell me what exactly SBA is and what it does?

thanks in advance.

2. sgoell75

sgoell75 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce6800GT 256MB
    With sideband addressing (SBA), AGP uses 8 extra "sideband" address lines which allow the graphics controller to issue new addresses and requests simultaneously while data continues to move from previous requests on the main 32 data/address lines. Using SBA mode improves efficiency and reduces latencies.

Pasted from Intels web site

3. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I heard that normally SBA should not be enabled, becuz it causes instability of the computer. Does it increase games performace if it's enabled??

4. WolfensteinAR

WolfensteinAR Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 512MB Quadro 3500M
    Well, from what I was told, I think it does, but you should try it and test it to check for performance/stability differences.

5. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    SBA works fine for me, I get a couple fps increase or so, and my AGP is overclocked at 82mhz or somewhere around there, and it's still really stable.

6. belfrink

belfrink Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
    Where can I find the SBA-option? I have checked all the tabs in the GeForce section and no SBA !!! I`m using the 44.60 drivers.

7. Junk

Junk Guest

if your mobo supports sba, then you will have an option for it in your bios.

otherwise, you can use rivatuner to force it on.

8. belfrink

belfrink Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
    Does turning the SBA-option on have any effect on the hardware (can you damage your Mobo or Videocard) ?

9. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    No, but some people say it causes instability or doesn't help their performance at all.