Gamma (NVCP) setting not sticking after reboot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Extraordinary, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I bought a new LCD (AOC M2870VQ), cheap, but has a slight over-exposed look at default / gamma too high, the gamma levels on the actual display are presets and all 3 suck

So I use the gamma setting in NVCP to drop it to 0.75, which looks much better

But after a reboot, it resets back to 1.00, but the weird thing is, the slider stays where it is, and if I move the slider just 1mm either way, it immediately jumps back to the correct level +/- however far I moved the slider

I've read a couple of posts saying to combine settings with the colour profile in colour management, but that doesn't work either

Any ideas how to get NVCP to take control and keep the settings I choose after reboots?

(I know these expensive colour fixing gadgets are recommended, not interested atm, just want NVCP to do what it's told, and load my settings up on boot)

2. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    run this on boot:

sc config nvsvc start= auto
    net stop nvsvc
    net start nvsvc

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    And is the service running when you save your settings? Try that, make sure it's running and then reboot.

5. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    are you running Windows 10 by any chance? if so then this is the issue, i hve this exact issue and have given up on trying to find a working solution, and i have a vg248qe. but i dont think its the monitors fault, it seems to be the driver no functioning properly on Windows 10.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    8.1, but it was doing the same with 10 too, but worse with 10, it would reset after running full screen games too

With 8.1 it's always after shut-down > boot (Fast boot enabled), and most of the time after a restart too, but not every time, so it seems like NVCP is loading up too early, and Windows is loading it's default after that, but after a full restart, occasionally it doesn't, and NVCP wins

7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yea miguel has stated thats the issue. I'm running the command at the end of fairly long row of commands so maybe thats why it works for me. Try and put a delay in before.

timeout /t x
    or just ping something reliably for x second, 10 shoud do it.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Add the timeout command to where?

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    At the start so everything has time to load before the batch file gets executed. You can make a shortcut and minimize/hide it so you wont actually see it, other than in the taskbar. Or just make a service or add it to task scheduler/at.

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Ps. You need to start nvcplui.exe as admin or it won't stick.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I ended up just running the windows colour management gamma level and that does stick without having to mess about, so I'm just using that now instead

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Out of curiosity, what did you reference your monitor's gamma presets against?

Any new display I configure that has 3 different presets or a slider from -3 to +3 i find the one closest that makes it close to 2.2 on this image then calibrate from there.

Usually displays with gamma presets have one correct setting and the others are gamma enhancement values that correct poorly captured images.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just against my eyes, everything looks washed out with any of the presets, but there is a demo mode on the panel that shows half and half, and the half that was in demo mode looked great, nice deep colours, not washed out, but there is no setting on the panel to set the screen to that demo setting, anywhere, so I have no idea what it's demoing

There is no manual gamma on the panel, just 3 crappy presets, like you say, 2 of them seem to do not much, one does, but it's still terrible

The only way to come close to matching the demo mode, is using windows / nvcp gamma settings

Frustrating because windows / nvcp likes to reset itself

Windows seems to have stuck for now

14. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    well a demo on a display is usually not the correct portrayal of your display when calibrated so trust the preset options more (reference the demo on the display with contrast page or black level page on that website). that website i use for all the basic calibrations until grayscale.

If by washed out, can you crank up the digital vibrance or lower the brightness in the Nvidia control panel and still see all of the gradients/squares? (leading me to ask you what connection you are using to your display and is full range RGB being used)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`ll have a try with that calibration page tomorrow, bit tired to be messing about tonight

Using DP and full RGB yea

I'm not really fussed about being properly calibrated, I just want deeper blacks and colours and it not to look like I've got the brightness cranked up full (Brightness and contrast don't help, only gamma)

It's like the difference between a normal painting with normal neat paint, and one that is done after diluting the paint with 50% water

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    ah ok. does DP have the contrast range and colorspace setting in "adjust desktop resolution" under the resolutions list? I know DVI doesn't as it only supports RGB, but I use HDMI and its only a recent feature within the past year. AMD has had it forever.

If its there, of course you want it set to full as you know. Brightness on monitors is usually the backlight setting. Only contrast and the Red Green or Blue values for the color temp options is what basically affects the image unless you have a monitor that also has a range of assorted picture modes and sharpness setting (basically a TV haha).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Don't think there is even a backlight setting on this LCD either, the brightness didn't seem to drop the backlight, although could be wrong

I`ll have a proper look at it tomorrow with a fresh head, right now I can't even work out which buttons are for left and right on the OSD lol

18. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I meant the Nvidia Control Panel's settings. Not weendows ;)

No problem. Sounds like too much partying... hope you feel better :beer:

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol nah I'm not drinking or anything, just shattered

[​IMG]

20. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    lol looks all good... except for that 60hz not being 59hz but that's another story... yeah then i guess like i would do, pick the closest gamma preset to that test image and go from there. :thumbup: