Shadowplay recording video output stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Phroster, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    So I tried Shadowplay and it is quite good, there is almost no performance drop and it records at 60 fps, with a decent image quality.

The only problem I have right now with it, is that the recording is mostly smooth. But sometimes it drops frames (every 1-2 mins). The game itself runs smoothly all the time, but the stutters in the output video are very obvious.

I tried this on Mass Effect it uses the Unreal Engine, but I read about other people also having this same problem in the Nvidia forums.
    Although not many user report this.

I use a RAID0 array with 2 mechanical disks, FRAPS has no problem with them, although Shadowplay also writes less to the disk then FRAPS, it still drops frames.

So anyone else notice this ?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I noticed it while I was playing too not just on playback of the video, actually during gameplay it was stuttering about the same as you describe

3. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Strange, to me the game itself runs smooth, no stutters,
    only the output video stutters.

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I have this exact same problem.

The game is buttery-smooth (BF4 and BF3 in my case), but the Shadow-recording has obvious stutters. It's even visible on the output that the game is played smoothly (as my aim is unaffected), yet there's seemingly random amounts of stutter at random intervals on the output videos.

If requested, I can upload and post a clip that shows the issue on YT.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Same here. There are random stutters in the resulting video that aren't there while actually playing the game.

It would appear that the capturing functionality of SP isn't up to the levels of Dxtory or Fraps (yet?)

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Occam's Razor

I still prefer it due to the performance gains... I couldn't record at all before without it affecting my gameplay heavily, except if I recorded to my SSD, and without having to render my recordings before I even gathered enough of them to begin editing -- simply due to lack of disk space (my SSD is only 120GB, so I gotta prioritize).

Still, it's my #2 issue with Shadowplay and recording BF4 gameplay in general at the moment (#1 being laziness ;))

Not sure whether I actually had this problem with the previous graphics driver though, but I'll check later and report back. I'm also certain not everyone has this issue, so what we need is an identifier... a lowest common denominator, if you will. Whatever the people with this issue all have in common is (obviously, if there is anything at all) most likely to be the reason it occurs.

7. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I also get stutters with the output video. You can try and run the file through Handbrake and the output file from that is generally a lot smoother.

8. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    It happens on VLC and WMP for me.

Still good to know that it seems to be a common problem, not everyone is reporting this on the nvidia forums, or they didn't notice it yet.

Not everyone is as sensitive to stutters, although the stutters I'm seeing in the output video, are quite obvious.

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's more of a "patch" than a solution, though.
    One which I assume will also afflict you with a lower bitrate result than the original, thus it would slightly worsen the quality.

10. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Have you tried disabling Windows aero if you're a 7 user? I had to keep it off or all my games felt stuttery and it reflected in the recordings.

11. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You haven't read the thread thoroughly, my friend.
    The games aren't stuttering. It's only visible on the recording itself, even though the video's running at 60FPS and the game itself was running at >80FPS when it was recorded (in my case).

Also, I'm only recording BF4 these days, which I play on Windows 8.1 -- as I get about the same average FPS, with significantly higher minimum, and lower maximum FPS. This smoothens the game out a lot, but I'd be using Windows 7 SP1 if this wasn't the case. Gotta use Start8 to even tolerate it. I haven't tried disabling Aero, but it shouldn't make a difference, and nor do I want it disabled. And technically it disables itself while a fullscreen application is running (like a game), hence why it shouldn't make a difference.

Cheers though; any input is welcome! :banana:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    yep it stutters a bit, nvidia knows of it and target it in the next releases, Shadowplay is epic

13. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Strange I never had problems with Aero on Win7, unless the game runs in fullscreen windowed, and Aero might be interfering with the game (vsync).

It could be a problem with the 332.21 driver, but I haven't used Shadowplay before this driver. Maybe someone with a previous version still installed could test?

14. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    You're right, it is just a patch, but there's not much we can really do until Nvidia fixes the problem. You can change settings in Handbrake to prevent any loss in video/audio quality.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  17. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    When using handbrake do you let it, render at 30 fps or 60 fps?
    Because if you make the output 30 fps, the result will be that the stutters in the 60 fps video will be less obvious. But they will be still there.

If you read the posts here. It also happens in different players. VLC and WMP.

Anyway, ill probably still keep using FRAPS unless the video quality will be improved in Shadowplay.

18. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't think it's got anything to do with the media player; it also happens when I use MPC-HC w/CCCP (my default). It's a ShadowPlay and/or driver-related issue.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    never ever happened to me, and have got gb's of files - so am at a loss

20. JohnnyUSA

JohnnyUSA Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660 Ti
    Same problem here.

Strange thing is i didnt have this problem from the start. This occured when 3 major things happened on my system.

1. Going to latest 334.89 drivers
    2. Changing my i3 cpu to an i5 760 cpu.
    2. Connected my TV to my PC through HDMI port (TV is disabled atm through drivers, stutter still present)

At first i thought it is a problem with Open Broadcaster since i've tried this tool after the 2 above upgrades. Today, i said, ok, let's try Shadowplay and ditch OBS. Boom! Same stuttering videos as i've had with OBS. Again, i've had no such problems with Shadowplay + old drivers and old cpu.

Now, im not in the mood to change drivers and put back my old CPU just to test....