Here's about Dx11.3 and Dx12

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by heffeque, Oct 6, 2014.

1. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    There's a really interesting thread about Dx11.3 vs Dx12 in Windows 9 (now Windows 10) and why Dx11.3 will be ported to previous Windows but not Dx12:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/56890-Info-Windows-9-WDDM-2-DirectX-12

Interesting part:
    So at the beginning, both Dx11.3 and Dx12 will have the same feature level, but obtained with different "technologies" which require different overhead.

So... what do you think about all this?

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...rectX-12/page2?p=950340&viewfull=1#post950340
    meh, not too worried if this guys comment is anything to go by.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The main thing interesting for me is the reduced driver overhead, and that won't change until full dx12 with win10 anyway, or am I wrong?

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^yeah, going by that article it seems that seems that 11.2 will have few bits and bobs, but dx12 is where its at.

Though, none of it matter if dx12 gets treated like 11 and we only have...what 25 games i think some posted.

5. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    I just want to get one thing clarified: When Windows 10 ships with WDDMv2/DX12, can I still play older DX9 games with that?

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No one can give you a concrete yes or no at this time. MS is known for good compatibility, I wouldn't really worry about it. If it worked in Windows 8.1, it will likely work in 10. Hopefully the issues introduced in 8.1 will also be rectified.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I would be extremely surprised if Win10 and dx12 wouldn't let you play dx9 games...

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I think technically nothing prevents MS to extend or combine current WDDM implementation in Win8 to support a new level. I did not dive in subject but from a programmer generic point of view adding new mini- and/or usermode-driver which will support DX12 needs does not require full driver stack rework.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yes, only cards that do at present.

11. gimotan12

gimotan12 Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd7770 1GB
    NVidia and AMD always, take advantage of there technologies which are all annoying. every day, every month - new products emerge - saying this products have new technology feature, but the truth is they already have this prior the released of new product, they all profiting by implementing piece by piece - can we consumer have a full bundle package?! the answer is NO. everyday I wake up, go to school browsing here, new product is on display - I'm tired looking at the specs, cause its only means MONEY. sometimes I wonder if there would be a man with a beautiful MIND, that he can make a program that my old Intel Pentium 4 with 256 RAM, 128 mb of graphic memory can run GAMES OF TODAY, (lol here) how I wish for that someone. cause NVIDIA and AMD sucks.. sorry but I think its true. I only want to play of todays games, but if you want to play their game - it looks like you have to upgrade your rig.. it looks like everyday upgrade.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If MS didn't support DX9 with Win 10, it would fail instantly

13. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
  14. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The only games I myself had problems with in 8.1 were the old SAGE engine C&C games. The community has its own fixes .. just drop 3 dll files into Tiberian Sun's directory or add a line in a ini file for Red Alert 2. No big deal. Of course it would be appreciated if MS undid the damage of 8.1 in 10 because 8.0 had the same level of compatibility as 7. Not sure how much I care though. I've played those games to death well over a decade ago.