Chrome 64bit and choppy gifs.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 31, 2015.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Ever since I started using the 64bit version of chrome I have been experiencing choppy gifs. It seems they are playing before they are fully loaded or something like that. On pages with multiple gifs, the page itself would freeze for about 5-10 seconds while the gifs would load. It's almost like they are loading frame by frame. If I disable flash within chrome, the gifs play perfectly fine. But I can't view any flash video while it's disabled. Mind you, it's only gifs that are doing this. Youtube videos that require flash are working just fine. Now here is the weird part, this doesn't happen on the 32 bit version of Chrome, even with flash enabled. Giifs plays perfectly fine the moment I start viewing them. Even pages with multiple gifs don't freeze the page. I'm at a loss as to why one version works fine and the other doesn't. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Could you link a page that has the problem for you?

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This one comes to mind.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dlOZI

The enitre page was as slide show until allt he gifs loaded properly. Now that I'm on 32 bit Chrome, it loads normall.y

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Loads fine for me on Version 41.0.2272.0 (64-bit) Chromium.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Just checked and its smooth for me too, Im using 64bit Firefox variant
    http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/firefox/

Also its the fastest in html5 fishbowl test, 7.5k vs ~ 4.5k by crome or ie11

EDIT: what about these, press -- to go next, lots of cool futuristic gifs :D
    http://dvdp.tum blr.com/page/1

*remove space between tum and blr

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It might be because I'm using Chromium. You have to manually add pepperflash to Chromium, so maybe that has something to do with it.

What is the fish bowl test? The thing I found from MS? How do you know what score you get?

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    When I disable flash within chrome, I can't view anything flash based. Even if I were to install it from Adobe, it still shows flash videos as disabled until I enable it again through Chrome.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's because Chrome uses it own built in flash called pepperflash. Which is why I'm thinking what I'm thinking. Maybe the build you are using comes with a borked pepperflash plugin. Chromium requires you to add it manually so I probably have a slightly older version, which might be why I dogged that bullet.
    You can try disabling hardware acceleration in flash, that seems the do the culprit of a lot of issues.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was disabling both the pepper and adobe flash by mistake. I kept the adobe one enabled and my gifs are loading properly now. Even on the 64bit client.

EDIT: I went back to the 64 bit version and it's all good with the gifs loading properly. But my question is, if pepper flash was the cause of the choppy gifs, why were they loading normally in the 32 bit version but not the 64 bit version?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    x64 is still in beta, yeah? It's easy to imagine they messed up flash for x64, on my x64 Chromium I use the x86 version of pepperflash (for some reason).

I got to 7255 fishes. Quite the discrepancy.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    64 bit has been a stable release for a while now.