Comparison(AMDFX6300 Vs. Core i5 750)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Damage_Plan, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I know somebody out there like me is going to want to see just how much of a performance leap there is between the these two CPUs (albeit highly unlikely) and mobos on a setup thats pretty much identical.

I originally started out with a Core i5 750 paired with an EVGA P55 Micro mainboard with my GTX660 (2GB gfx card from Galaxy) and 12Gigs of ram.

I have had no problems with my trusty Core i5 up until recent games like Crysis 3, Farcry 3, Black Ops 2 and Battlefield 4 (although I have to say BF4 performed incredibly well on my setup with everything on ultra @1920x1080p/60MHz + 4xMSAA, I was getting about 46-50FPS with NO crazy drops or stuttering at all) I had the new 331.65 nvidia "GameReady" Drivers and all seemed well...

I took a 3dMark Vantage bench yesterday (before I installed the AMD6300 and M5A97 LE R2.0) and this is what i got:
    [​IMG]

Then, I had installed my AMD FX6300 and new mobo but I knew that I was gonna have to reinstall windows... and this time I decided to use my W7 in stead of windows 8.1 (for stability reasons)- a person I talked to at EA games said that her supervisor was looking at my DXdiag with her, and she said the BF4 isnt YET supported by W8.1.

Anywho this is the 3dmark Vantage score I got with the AMDfx6300/M5A97 LE R2.0 setup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all in all i am happy with my New AMD setup.. i dont see too much of an improvement, (i knew it was not going to be a massive leap) but its definitely newer hardware and it runs quicker in a few important ways...

I have yet to fully test out the performance in a few games (im redownloading all of em as i type this) and i do plan to get a better Motherboard, GPU (maybe even SLi) and some better RAM in the near future... but for right now, at least I have my foot in the door for better Performance and new hardware!

side notes: ASUS AI suite II for this MOBO so far is a pain in the F***in ass.. Easy Update throws up Access Violation Errors and i have to completely shut it down so it doesnt bug me....

I was able to Update my Bios from the Ver.15XX (1/11/13) to the Ver.2006 (10/1/13) with absolutley NO problems and all the other software seems to work fine in the AI suite...
    (if anyone can tell me how to fix the Easy Update that would be awesome)

and lastly, The Corsair H60 watercooler i have wont fit despite being Compatible with socket AM3- the Bracket mount doesnt Fit
    the Motherboard like i thought it would... someone said that since it will fit an AM3, AM3+ should Not be a problem...lol wasnt correct.

i was expecting it not to fit for some reason so i wasnt bummed out too badly... my AZZA Genesis 9000W case is like a F***in refrigerator anyways... the stock CPU fansync keeps it a little warmer than i would like but its still around 45 C steady. and having massive amounts of airflow ( about 8 fans inside my Azza Genesis 9000W total, two of which are Huge) helps keep everything cool... I also LOVE the fact that i now have a LOT more room for another GFX card (the M5A97 LE R2.0 is an bigger board... I couldnt achieve SLI without my other GFX card getting really hot on the EVGA P55 Micro

I know people said i should have went with a different motherboard but Price was hard to play with and just wanted to test the waters so to speak.
    I plan on getting a few more upgrades in the next 2 months, if you have any ideas tell me!

the goal would be to keep the AMD FX6300 and upgrade around it.

I will Post more Benches and stuff when i am able to

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm glad you're happy, Piledriver is pretty good on a budget and fun to play with.

3. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    my fx 6300 is holding up very nicely. Even if you don't overclock it make sure to turn off some of the features like cool and quiet etc... it runs much smoother with all that junk off.

4. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    ohh yeah, i will take your advice on the Cool n quiet feature... btw im loving the processor so far, the only issue i have is with the software that came with the motherboard. the Easy update feature from my asus software to be exact.. i know its probably nothing but i want EVERY thing to work like it should...

one thing i totally love on the mobo is the fact that the Bios looks like its not a bios, but a stylish frosty glass type of UI skin... I NEVER had a UEFI bios before this motherboard,, im loving the GUI bios (its a sexy change over the standard, blu/red or white/black DOS looking blandness that Bioses of yesteryear have featured. I have yet to post some Game/benchmark results.. allow me a few hours. lol

5. m38930

m38930 Guest

I'm glad your happy with your new Vishera CPU, that's all that really matters. =) I'm getting the same temp's with mine, though I decided to leave mine at the stock speed sense it's running my games fine currently and I can OC it down the road if I need the extra speed later on. Plus I'm not much of an OC'er. lol Again, congrats.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    thanks! yeah im not much of an OC rat myself... i only just started to try to OC my Core i5 750 before i realised and made up my mind that it would just be better to get new technology..
    If you dont mind me asking (you said you had similar temps)
    are you running the stock fansync that came with your FX6300? if you are, what are your thoughts on that rather smallish fansync?? are you worried about the stock fansync's ability to keep your 6300 cool and healthy? also what other cooler would you recommend i get for this cpu???

7. m38930

m38930 Guest

I don't mind at all, and yep I'm running the stock heatsync. It seems to be stable at the stock speed, haven't had any problem's. I think AMD could have included a better one, like you said it is rather small and standard, I was concerned at first but after a week of usage I feel comfortable using it at stock speed. At idle it's around 44C under load it rises to 50-55C, as long as it doesn't go above 65C should be good which mine hasn't granted again at stock speed. As for aftermarket heatsync's I would either recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or The Corsair Hydro H55 depending on if you wanted to go water cooled or not, which is what I would use as well if I ever needed to OC down the road. Hope this helped.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Pretty much what I was expecting in those benchmark results. Glad to hear you're happy with it though. I've got a Piledriver based APU and while it doesn't do very well in benchmarks, navigating Windows itself and watching blu-rays is just as smooth and responsive as my 2600K.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Its funny that you mention that, because that has been the experience of many users. While FX chips don't "bench well" sometimes, the overall end user experience is nearly always reported as very positive. My computer, which is a Bulldozer, not even a PD, feels every bit as fast with everything I do as my work computer - which is an i5. For general desktop performance (not gaming), I don't really give a hoot about benches. What I care about is what I experience when I actually use something.

10. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I uninstalled all that asus stuff, it was a bit buggy in my experience.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My APU (A4-5300) sucks for gaming.....big deal. 3DMark won't even run. But, for it's purpose....which is as an HTPC and educational system, it's performance is perfect. If I had to build it again, I'd still choose the exact same parts I did initially. I tend to believe it's the overall user experience, that actually matters. If you build for a purpose and choose parts ideal for that purpose, you'll get the best experience. I've still got an A4-4000 sitting here that will end up in another PC at some point. Unless you're concerned about benchmark scores....AMD still offers great processors at great prices and their APUs are just insane bang for buck for HTPC and extreme budget gaming (at low graphics settings, obviously).

12. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    Ok i got done playing Crysis 3 with all settings on very high @1920x1080p and FXAA on and i had a signifigant Increase in framrates (on average about 55-60 FPS throughout the game.. the game ran smoother and never dipped in FPS below 48 I Played Black ops II and my FPS went all the way up to 78-80 FPS and never went below 58fps and all of my Other games run fantastic with flawless abilities.. however, Battlefield 4 is completely Unplayable.. i am only getting about 25-30 FPS on my AMD FX6300 (WTF???) were as my Core i5 750 was getting about anywere between 45-60 FPS without ever going any lower.... am i missing something here???? the game is recommended to be ran on a 6 core CPU (I meet all the Recommended requirements) but how is this possible???? Im about to be in tears over this insane drop in performance.....

I might be a little off the deep end here but this makes me wanna throw this new mobo and CPU in the F***in trash......

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Someone else had the same problem, forget the fix though.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Might need to install Windows AMD scheduling and core parking fix. Also disable core parking in BIOS (C6).

Btw Cool n Quiet won't affect your performance, those days are long gone.....though it can depend on the motherboard somewhat.

15. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    arent those fixes for bulldozer?? i thought my CPU was a "piledriver" - or does it matter?? will those fixes still work ? - EDIT :just realized that Pile-driver was a part of the Bulldozer microarchitecture.
    also in scared/rage mixture, i installed W8 pro 64bit back onto my computer (i read a somewere in another post someone was having problems with BF4 on w7 and a AMD CPU/Chipset with a nvidia GFX card... although i think it was a gtx 680 ... one guy said to the OP that Installing windows 8 instead of W7 with that setup might help. .. so im trying that (because After all in the recommended specs for BF4 it said Windows 8 64 bit.)

16. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    Hey there, if you find it out please let me know!!! lol im ready to flip hhaha

17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Piledriver is a Bulldozer, just second generation ;) Its the same base architecture

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=383027

Here you go, someone had the same issue a few weeks ago. Turned out his memory was underclocked.

19. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I will look into all of my Memory, IcE.

im also going over my mobo's current config/settings in general, I probably will also try Pill monsters approach and get back to you all (for the record, i reinstalled my windows 8- maybe this will help also) BF4 just got done redownloading on to this new w8 install. be back in a few with update. wish me luck.

20. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    this might help
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard
    even if you don't oc, some of those settings help get the most out of piledriver/bulldozer. Check out the advanced section, I never bothered enabling anything that said to re-enable when fine tuned. Im clocked at 4.3 ghz, but Im getting 70-90 fps in campaign on ultra with msaa off. I think ive seen some drops around 60ish fps, but still im happy with my 6300. Im using windows 8.1, but this suggests even on windows 7 its best just to let windows do its thing http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-bulldozer-performance,3289-7.html