Is this CPU Burnt? Bent? 3570K

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Blackfyre, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Is this CPU Burnt? Bent? Damaged? 3570K

If you're a CPU Expert SKIP to PART 2 because PART 1 is the story & background information (I recommend reading it, I'll keep it short):

PART ONE:

I bent the pins on my AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 (unknowingly, while cleaning the thermal compound from the sides - had to remove the CPU to reach the sides), plugged the CPU back in, turned the PC ON, and received Error Code 55 - (which theoretically means memory issue, but a quick google search led me to believe that it's the socket pins being bent), and surely enough, upon removing the CPU again I saw several bent pins on the motherboard socket (lets say 10+, and 5 of them look beyond repair, so there's no point trying to bend them back into position).

Now I actually don't want to dish out $200+ on a new motherboard and $400+ for a Core i7 4790K (ridiculous prices due to living in the land down under - Australia). I'd rather just buy a $150 LGA1155 Motherboard from a store that still has it in stock.

PART TWO:

Here are the pictures - I've taken them with my Note 2 - So don't expect great quality - but I've edited them to make them brighter and number the issues that I can see, there might be others I have missed.

Picture ONE - Overview of the CPU (No Issue Numbers):

http://i.imgur.com/YtHyPUG.jpg

- I removed the Image from here because it was too big, click on the link above (the two images below are zoomed in shots from the above image).

Picture TWO - Zoomed in and highlighted Issue #1

http://i.imgur.com/T7rBi3g.jpg
    [​IMG]

Picture THREE - Zoomed in and highlighted Issue #2 & #3

http://i.imgur.com/rI41H7t.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Cpu is OK. You might put a little bit of solder on damaged pads. For a motherboard there are two options : 1 - Buy new CPU socket from electronic store or anywhere you can find it/use donor board socket and resolder with hot air while managing the temperature of whole board, can't be huge temperature differences on board. 2 - You can try to recreate those pins on the motherboard with really small soldering iron tip.

For any of these options you have to use lead based solder 60/40. Don't try to use lead-free solder - you'll fail for sure.

Before desoldering with hot air, you should put lead based solder on all contacts which has to be desoldered, also make sure you cover all sensitive parts, plastic parts with metal foil, better to put some fabric underneath the foil or glue it to foil for easier job. It's very easy to burn the board if you don't have any experience. It requires a lot of patience and time.

3. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    CPU should be fine. If you have pinpoint precision tweezers or hobby tools you can straighten the pins on the mobo to get it working again. I did this on my old p67 board when I was not paying attention and had the mobo resting on my hand on the damn socket.

Unless you are experienced with a solder iron, I would advise against it as you do need a steady hand and fine tipped solder iron to do it.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    As War child suggested, try to bend back the pins, or ask someone with steady hands to do it for you, a jewerly shop or a electronics repair shop.
    As for changing the whole socket on the motherboard with hot air, sound good in theory, but in practice you need tools,the hot air workstation and the know how.
    Those alone as costs are higher than a new motherboard.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I don't think this technique will suit your situation, but it might, so I'll mention it.

My CPU heatsink was "fused" to the CPU cause the thermal paste hardened. I tried to be gentle but ended up pulling the CPU out of the socket while removing the heatsink. I eventually got 'em apart with a hair dryer.

Anyway, pins were bent in the process, like 20 of 'em around the edges. I used a my Visa bank card to straighten them back in position. It fit perfectly between the rows of pins. So, the process was like choppin' up coke ( first analogy to come to mind, but I've never done it ).

Without that, I don't know how long it would've took me to do it with a toothpick like I was doing before.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its a lot harder to straighten them out on a mobo.

But even if he still managed to straighten them that looks like some shifty damage. Its worth a try but I doubt it sincerely.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Intel CPU's are extremely tough. I'm sure it's fine. Simply looks like those pads got scratched by the pin not contacting the area it should (since you bent them). However, those pads are made to be "punched" by the pins anyway. As long as the contact area is still present, assume the CPU will work just fine.

8. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Wait a minute, why does his CPU look pinless ? I'm clueless when it comes to Intel CPUs.

9. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Intel CPU has no pins..Only on the motherboard that Intel have pins..Unlike amd where pins are on the CPU nit on the motherboard..

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, it's backwards for Intel chips because Intel figured out a long time ago it makes no sense to have the pins on a tiny, hard to hold object that people are prone to drop. You can (and people do it all the time) drop any Intel chips onto a hard floor from 6 feet up and they'll be fine.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Hm.. If I ever get some extra money to throw around, I may switch this system over to Intel. All I've ever built is AMD systems.. for the past 10 years. The way I see it is like this: Intel CPUs are more expensive, but someone like me who doesn't need the newest CPU architecture, can use them longer and get great results.

This AMD 965 is kinda like that. I'm surprised it's still powering newer games.

How do Intel CPUs work with AMD GPUs ? I'm assuming it doesn't matter.

OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I'm keeping it alive though and at least it's still based around Intel CPUs.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Intel is in another universe when it comes to performance as of today. So it would be very much worth your time and money to switch over. I used a 955 before this processor. This one absolutely blows it away. And it's not even the latest (although arguably it's not that far off in IPC).

And yes, Intel CPU's work just fine with AMD GPU's. You'll actually get the most of the video card with one, ironically.